PDA

View Full Version : Stihl life span

larryinalabama
11-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Is 5 years about it for Stihl products?

My stihl kombi 110 is no longer realiable, my leaf vac/ blower SH86c has a broken muffler bolt that wont come out, the housing is near worn out so fixing it may not be a good idea. Both ar e 5 years old, I personally think they should last longer. My Shindawia backblower is 10 years old and Ive never spent a dime on it yet and it still works fine.

Patriot Services
11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I would be happy to get 5 years from a handheld. If you have employees handling them that drops to two years or one long season.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
11-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Im Solo but I do run the stuff hard.

Patriot Services
11-05-2012, 05:16 PM
All the good old stuff is dying off. Now all we got is non adjustable, epa laden crap designed to fall apart the day after the warranty expires and cost more to fix than replace.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
All the good old stuff is dying off. Now all we got is non adjustable, epa laden crap designed to fall apart the day after the warranty expires and cost more to fix than replace.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well if its designed to fall apart the engineers are genies. A bold breaking off in the cyilnder housing is stuff that happen to lowes stuff, shouldnt happen to stihl.

I was forced to buy another kombi power unit because I have all the attachments, otherwise I would have bought Shindawia.

mikeypizano
11-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Well if its designed to fall apart the engineers are genies. A bold breaking off in the cyilnder housing is stuff that happen to lowes stuff, shouldnt happen to stihl.

I was forced to buy another kombi power unit because I have all the attachments, otherwise I would have bought Shindawia.

I don't think I could blame Stihl 100% there. Chances are you got a bad bolt, which, and I may be wrong, are probably made by a 3RD party company.

ed2hess
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I am a little surprised at the answers that many think that these units are going to last a couple years. I mainly run Echo but I got units that are way over a couple years. These new orange 265 units are rock solid as far as I am concerned and will easily run 5 years. And the blower line o 610 and 620 are also going beyond 5 years. We usually buy 3 new trimmers and a couple blowers each year and running stuff was stacking up until we got 5 untis taken. And the stihl BR420 is definitely a blower that will last you beyond 5 years. So if you need more reliable units get Echo and yes be sure they have adjustable carb on the ones you buy.

mikeypizano
11-05-2012, 10:22 PM
I am a little surprised at the answers that many think that these units are going to last a couple years. I mainly run Echo but I got units that are way over a couple years. These new orange 265 units are rock solid as far as I am concerned and will easily run 5 years. And the blower line o 610 and 620 are also going beyond 5 years. We usually buy 3 new trimmers and a couple blowers each year and running stuff was stacking up until we got 5 untis taken. And the stihl BR420 is definitely a blower that will last you beyond 5 years. So if you need more reliable units get Echo and yes be sure they have adjustable carb on the ones you buy.

Is the carb fully adjustable? My Stihl stuff lets you adjust needles 3/4 turn.

rreyn1812
11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm solo, but have had helpers using my Stihl FS90, and it has lasted 6 years so far and it is running strong. It has always been my go to trimmer. There are just too many possible factors involved to really know why a mechanical product like a commercial string trimmer fails. Part is the quality of the product, including materials and assembly process. Once it is delivered to the customer, then it is dependent on oil, fuel, how it's used and/or abused, etc. Doing a search on just about any product you will generally turn up ones that fail early and ones that just seem to run and run; doesn't matter who the manufacturer is (Stihl, Echo, Kawasaki, you name the one). :)

lawnboy dan
11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
in my experience echo has by far the shortest life span. i have shindys 15 yrs old still going strong. the 4 mix have a very short life.

ed2hess
11-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Is the carb fully adjustable? My Stihl stuff lets you adjust needles 3/4 turn.

Fully adjustable once you take the caps off.

ed2hess
11-06-2012, 08:13 PM
in my experience echo has by far the shortest life span. i have shindys 15 yrs old still going strong. the 4 mix have a very short life.

So what model Echo has short life?