PDA

View Full Version : South Jax/Orange Park/Fleming Isle companies

macgyver_GA
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

My parents were in town visiting me this weekend and I was talking to my dad about lawn stuff and was surprised when he told me they use TG for their turf care. They live on Fleming Island in Eagle Harbor and have St Augustine for turf... maybe 4-5k Sq ft if I had to guess. Can anyone recommend a good turf care company in that area? My dad said he has no problem switching companies, he just picked TG because he didn't know anyone else (The great marketing that TG has going for them :laugh: ). I'll admit, their lawn doesn't look that bad... But I don't know much about St Aug since I don't deal with it up here. He said they have some sort of weed that TG claims they can't get rid of and the only solution is to resod. I personally haven't seen the weed so I couldn't ID it properly and he doesn't remember what they called it.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks guys :)

Sprinkler Buddy
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Why make a switch, your Dad is satisfied and the lawn doesn't look all that bad? You might end up with a company that doesn't satisfy.

Keith
11-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey guys,

He said they have some sort of weed that TG claims they can't get rid of and the only solution is to resod. I personally haven't seen the weed so I couldn't ID it properly and he doesn't remember what they called it.

With TG, that would pretty much mean any weed :hammerhead: Any grassy weed for sure.

Landscape Poet
11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
With TG, that would pretty much mean any weed :hammerhead: Any grassy weed for sure.

That would be accurate on about 90% of there lawns...I have seen them do decent work...the problem is it never holds up over the long term. Weeds and disease mgmt are not there strong points.

mjlcare2
11-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Mantis Lawn and Pest.. they used to be good.. dont know anymore but worth a shot.. used to live in eagle harbor and service that area as well about 5 years ago.. wish I had never moved.. I could have made millions there..

macgyver_GA
11-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Why make a switch, your Dad is satisfied and the lawn doesn't look all that bad? You might end up with a company that doesn't satisfy.

Well, he said he'd rather employ a local company, he just didn't know of any decent ones around there so he picked TG. Also, he doesn't know much about St Augustine since they're from GA and used to tall fescue and bermuda. When they lived in Atlanta (the house I grew up in), they used a local turf care company to do applications. I was in charge of mowing it, then aerating and overseeding in the fall from about age 12 til I moved out at 18

That would be accurate on about 90% of there lawns...I have seen them do decent work...the problem is it never holds up over the long term. Weeds and disease mgmt are not there strong points.

The long term aspect is what I'm worried about. I'm not too familiar with St Augustine since I don't deal with it up here.The only stuff I know about it is from when I studied for my Pest exam here in GA. It's not as bulletproof as Bermuda from my understanding.

Not to mention, my dad travels during the week and is only home on weekends to mow the grass so he can't keep as close of any eye on issues that might arise with the lawn.

Mantis Lawn and Pest.. they used to be good.. dont know anymore but worth a shot.. used to live in eagle harbor and service that area as well about 5 years ago.. wish I had never moved.. I could have made millions there..

Thanks for the rec :cool2:

Haha you're right about making millions. People were making money hand over fist back around there in '03-'06. Unfortunately, my parents moved down there and built their house in '06 due to my dad's company relocating him and they're now about $100k upside down in their house. When they first moved there, they were renting a house in the neighborhood while their house was being built and their neighbors across the street were actually the owners of the house and bought it as a flip house.