PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Trailer Regulations?

recycledsole
11-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey guys,
i want to buy a dual axle trailer, but i need to be sure of marylands regulations first. i know not all states are the same, but i am seeking clarification from someoen who knows, on the following:

i want to get a dual axle trailer
the trailer needs to have breaks right?
do i need to install a break controller inside my vechile? (heard this costs less than $100)

my tundra weights weights around 6000lb and has gvwr of around 7400lb
the trailer will weigh about 1,400lb with a gvwr of 7,000lb
combined gvwr will be about 14,000LB. i know there is some regulation that has to do with the 10,000LB combined gvwr mark. does anyone know about this?
thanks so much

Marek
11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
In Marylan any trailer over 3 k gvw must have trailer brakes. A 7 k tandem trailer will reguire you to register with dot have spare fuses , fire extingisher , road flares or triangles. Truck must be lettered and have 3" visable DOT numbers and any driver must have a DOT med card.

Johnagain
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
If it has breaks on the trailer you need to look elsewhere. Those breaks will surely give you problems in the very near future.

I suggest you look at one that will have brakes on both axles for better stopping power.

recycledsole
11-06-2012, 10:12 PM
In Marylan any trailer over 3 k gvw must have trailer brakes. A 7 k tandem trailer will reguire you to register with dot have spare fuses , fire extingisher , road flares or triangles. Truck must be lettered and have 3" visable DOT numbers and any driver must have a DOT med card.

Awwwww are you sure?
i know alot of guys in MD who dont have the DOT. my uncle has different trailers (some large horse trailers) and he didnt mention to me anything

thanks so much marek i appreciate it

Marek
11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I was speaking of trailers used for work. If you are towing mowers around you will need the above. A camper of horse/stock trailer or race trailer you would not need DOT numbers and Med card. Although they have been known to pull over race trailers that are lettered up , they say once you are sponsered and advertise that it becomes a commercial trailer. North Carolina has been doing the same thing with tournament fishing boats that are trailered.

recycledsole
11-06-2012, 11:15 PM
thanks for your help.
do you know how much all that stuff costs? is it a difficult process?
thanks

Marek
11-07-2012, 08:21 AM
DOT registration is free then you will just need to go to the Dr and get a DOT physical , letter your truck add spare fuses ,fire extingisher and triangles.Everything you need is listed right here. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/info/26300/26300-50T.htm

jones68
11-07-2012, 11:03 AM
http://www.sha.maryland.gov/OOTS/motorcarrierhandbook.pdf

the handbook is pretty helpful regarding the regulations

its my understanding that you do not need a cdl even if you are working with the trailer. if that was the case every single person in the trades would have to have a cdl. but the dot number you will need.

as for the trailer i would say get one with brakes on both axles get the controller in your truck. i wouldnt want to pull 7000 without trailer brakes, yea the truck can stop it eventually but what about in an emergency someone cuts you off or slams on their brakes i would take brakes on 6 axles over4 any day

Duffster
11-07-2012, 11:14 AM
If it has breaks on the trailer you need to look elsewhere. Those breaks will surely give you problems in the very near future.

I suggest you look at one that will have brakes on both axles for better stopping power.

:clapping:

jones68
11-07-2012, 11:58 AM
sorry didn't read what i posted before i meant to say 4 axles instead of 2axles :hammerhead:

recycledsole
11-07-2012, 12:40 PM
DOT registration is free then you will just need to go to the Dr and get a DOT physical , letter your truck add spare fuses ,fire extingisher and triangles.Everything you need is listed right here. http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/info/26300/26300-50T.htm

thanks alot sir . i couldnt find the part where it said lettering, fuses, fire extinguisher

norsky
11-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Hey guys,
i want to buy a dual axle trailer, but i need to be sure of marylands regulations first. i know not all states are the same, but i am seeking clarification from someoen who knows, on the following:

i want to get a dual axle trailer
the trailer needs to have breaks right?
do i need to install a break controller inside my vechile? (heard this costs less than $100)

my tundra weights weights around 6000lb and has gvwr of around 7400lb
the trailer will weigh about 1,400lb with a gvwr of 7,000lb
combined gvwr will be about 14,000LB. i know there is some regulation that has to do with the 10,000LB combined gvwr mark. does anyone know about this?
thanks so much
call the DOT and get a handbook. read it, then call them with your questions and get the correct answers.

Duffster
11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
call the DOT and get a handbook. read it, then call them with your questions and get the correct answers.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Call them three times and three different answers.

recycledsole
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
hey guys, wanted to give you some info. I talked to the guy in charge he said i needed:
1) DOT # (Free)
2) DOT # and business (or personal) name displayed on vechile with magnetic sign or any other way.
3) DOT med exam card
4) Fire extinguisher
5) Triangle kit

hopefully this info helps you all.
thanks

4slservices
03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
So I'm in Maryland and I filled out the application form for the number. I have a ford f250 pickup and a 10K dump trailer. I called to check the status of the application and told them what I had. They told me that even though my gvw is over 10K, I do not need a MD DOT number because the truck that I am using to tow the trailer is under 10K AND I am only driving intrastate. My service area is only about a 10-20 mile radius. He told me that I still need to have the DOT med exam card, fire extinguisher and the triangle kit but I do not need the number. He said if I get pulled over for inspection to refer to title 22 section 404.3 paragraph B 2.

I know that the number is free but does that mean I will have more daily paperwork and safety audits if I have one?

swanny
03-31-2013, 05:49 PM
So I'm in Maryland and I filled out the application form for the number. I have a ford f250 pickup and a 10K dump trailer. I called to check the status of the application and told them what I had. They told me that even though my gvw is over 10K, I do not need a MD DOT number because the truck that I am using to tow the trailer is under 10K AND I am only driving intrastate. My service area is only about a 10-20 mile radius. He told me that I still need to have the DOT med exam card, fire extinguisher and the triangle kit but I do not need the number. He said if I get pulled over for inspection to refer to title 22 section 404.3 paragraph B 2.

I know that the number is free but does that mean I will have more daily paperwork and safety audits if I have one?

Do you remember the name of the officer you spoke with and where he was out of? thanks!

4slservices
03-31-2013, 06:50 PM
I forget his name but i reached him by calling the number on the mddot application form. Are you applying for a number?

recycledsole
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I saw the us dot application page and could not apply. it said enter your dot number on the dot application page. how can give my number when I am applying for a number?
I believe the man's name was ray who I spoke with.
thanks