PDA

View Full Version : Need an honest opinion from a cyclone leaf rake owner

CITY PARK CUTTER MAN
11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I have seen this contraptions around and am curious about their quality. Give me the "4-1-1" on the much advertised on tv "Cyclone Leaf Rake" leaf collector.

Jimslawncareservice
11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Hate it. Most of us around here either made our own playwood boxes or took them to a metal fab place. Screens don't stay velcroed, tubing for the bag breaks, can't get the crap out, bags are hard to open when full, long clumbsy pile. If had to so it over I would get pro tero or similar with a pony engine instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

QualityLawnCare4u
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I had one and also hated it, even though a lot of folks on here like them. If you are mowing large wide open areas with no low hanging limbs or any obstacles in the yard it might suffice. The length of this thing hooked to your mower is like drivng a 15 passenger van around the yard. I will say they took mine back with no problem and a full refund.

Richard Martin
11-08-2012, 07:49 AM
I have the Brinley equivalent. It does work great. The huge capacity is a definite plus. But they do take up a lot of space and consideration must be given to that. I'm converting mine to a Trac Vac style.

http://www.trac-vac.com/Images/462-Z.jpg

I have all of the parts except for the leaf can. I need to get one mounting bracket cut and rewelded so it fits my Dixie. I'm using the 8 HP B&S Intek engine and impeller housing from my Brinley. Fortunately, Trac Vac is easy to get along with and doesn't mind selling parts to people that don't actually own a Trac Vac. The Cyclone people require a serial number from one of their machines before they'll sell you any parts.

watatrp
11-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Richard-I had one of those Trac Vac units on one of my Scags a while back. I liked it a lot. It was a bear to mount as it was real heavy with the engine on and the connection points had to be right on to get the bolts in. Another tip, don't let it get too full. It's easier to empty it partially full than spend the time to disconnect the hoses to clear them if they get packed because the barrel is full.

vaacutabove
11-08-2012, 08:45 AM
I had one with the loader hose it works good but not ment to be moved around takes for ever to set up and take down. I was within my year and they took it back no problems. As far as im concerned they are a stand up company just not for my operation and i do half acre and bigger lawns. Im using tarp blower and my v ride to push leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
11-09-2012, 08:39 AM
The idea of a portable unit that chews up leaves and twigs, then spits them out into the back of a truck is exactly what is needed... bags of any kind are a waste of time and motion... I can't think of a single scenario in my business where bagging is better than tarping,,, and I hate tarping!!!
I'd like to blow the leaves to an area near the roadway, wheel a leaf-loader near the pile and start raking them in to a heavy duty flywheel that mulches them into bits and shoots them into the back of a truck... That is the ONLY solution I see to speed things up... :)

cgaengineer
11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I had one and also hated it, even though a lot of folks on here like them. If you are mowing large wide open areas with no low hanging limbs or any obstacles in the yard it might suffice. The length of this thing hooked to your mower is like drivng a 15 passenger van around the yard. I will say they took mine back with no problem and a full refund.

We have one and that sucker is long...
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Here's mine.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/MVC-525F.jpg

cgaengineer
11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Here's mine.

Is that a JD 10P? If so I have one full of water in my backyard!

Richard Martin
11-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Is that a JD 10P? If so I have one full of water in my backyard!

Yeah. Mine is full of water too even with the Brinley on it.

cgaengineer
11-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah. Mine is full of water too even with the Brinley on it.

It's good trailer...mine has about 1000 miles on it! I use it around house behind 4 wheeler...
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
It's good trailer...mine has about 1000 miles on it! I use it around house behind 4 wheeler...
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't used mine since we moved last spring. And thank God. I will never have another pine tree on my property ever again. That was literally a 365 day a year job cleaning up pine cones and needles (straw). And if a tropical storm or huge T-storm went through, it would take days to clean all of the crap up.

cgaengineer
11-09-2012, 08:30 PM
I haven't used mine since we moved last spring. And thank God. I will never have another pine tree on my property ever again. That was literally a 365 day a year job cleaning up pine cones and needles (straw). And if a tropical storm or huge T-storm went through, it would take days to clean all of the crap up.

Around here the pine straw goes in beds...
Posted via Mobile Device

Quix
11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
This is my 4th year with the Cyclone. I have the XL with a 9hp motor. I wouldnt do leaves without it. Sure it's long but the time and work it saves it it is well worth it. A little planning ahead on how to tackle a yard goes a long way. When I'm blowing out the beds I also go bout 2 feet aroung other obsticales. Working on the perimter you will know the limits on turning and adjust. If its a "tight" yard instead of trying to turn the thing around just go backwards across lawn. Once you get to know how to work with its strenghts and work "with" it, it's a time saver especialy for being solo.

Smallaxe
11-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Here's mine.

The piece that is sitting on your trailer tongue with a shute into the trailer, needs wheels and an opening in which one could rake leaves into and the inpellor sucks them in and blows them out...
Is there any possibility that it could be a stand-alone unit, or is it dependant on the mower???

Richard Martin
11-10-2012, 10:31 AM
The piece that is sitting on your trailer tongue with a shute into the trailer, needs wheels and an opening in which one could rake leaves into and the inpellor sucks them in and blows them out...
Is there any possibility that it could be a stand-alone unit, or is it dependant on the mower???

You can change it to suit your individual needs, yes. It doesn't need the mower to do it's job. I'm working on massively changing it now.

Smallaxe
11-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks for posting that picture... Now I have something to describe in the real world to the various implement dealers and perhaps get away from the deer in the headlights look... :)