PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Cat or Turf Tiger?

Moose's Mowing
11-12-2012, 09:01 AM
I'll be in the market early next year for a new Scag. I'm currently running an 05 Wildcat 52". There's nothing really wrong with it, I got it used when I started up. It gives me a few fits here and there, but it runs fairly well and cuts great. My biggest gripe is that I bought a 52" and not a 61" So whatever I get next will be a 61". Most of my accounts will benefit from a larger deck. I have a 36"WB I use for my smaller lots, but most accounts are 1.5 acres or larger.

I was toying with buying another used mower, but I'm currently leaning towards a new one. But whether new or use, would you guys go with a Tiger Cat or a Turf Tiger?

The Turf Tiger is certainly mow mower, but it's also more $. The TigerCat and the Wildcat seem to be almost the exact same machine. The TigerCat will fit on my trailer better and it weighs less. It also seems to be a simpler design, which to me, makes it better. "Keep it simple stupid" But the Turf Tiger has larger hyrdo pumps, an aux cooler, shaft driven deck...etc etc. I honestly think the Tiger Cat would suit me very well, but I wanted opinions from you guys, especially if you've used both machines.
Thanks

orangemower
11-12-2012, 09:17 AM
If you're doing mostly residential then stick with the lighter mower.

LLandscaping
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I have had 3 tiger cubs and now have 3 Turf tigers. The turf tigers hold hills much better and have more engine options. We don't break as many belts on our turf tigers as we did on the cubs. We have a 61" turf tiger 29dfi and it has more power and uses less fuel than our 27 kohlers.

mach14604
11-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Go with Turf Tiger if it will be your primary use machine. If you just want a second machine go with the Tiger Cub

RSK Property Maintenance
11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
I was in your exact situation except I bought a 2005 tiger cub with a 48" deck new in 05, and man was that a 7 year mistake. I could have upgraded sooner, but I really wanted to wait until i had more accounts and I did. I chose the 61" cheetah with a 34hp carb'd air cooled kohler motor, might not be the best of fuel, but i'll probably never have an issue with the whole mower. I demoed the mower when it first came out 3 years ago and fell in love with it. I really can't see how i went so long without it, I let my buddy use who works with me in the summer, and he's got an exmark and even he admits, he my scag is a beast and he really loves it. he like you and me went with a deck size smaller then 61" for his first machine. its a common mistake a good amount of people do. but it happens atleast you went with a used machine.

Moose's Mowing
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
ok, well I'd like to revive this thread. Its now 2013 and I'm ready to buy as of tomorrow or whenever I find a deal that I feel is good. I'm not in hurry, I have until April untill I'll need it.

So again, I'd like to hear from the guys that run a Tiger Cat. I've decided agaisnt the Turf Tiger simply because it's more mower than I'll need. The Tiger Cat is my 1st choice as of right now but I'd consider the Cheetah as well. The Cheetah isn't too much more $ than the Tiger Cat. My only concern with the Cat is the engine size. I'm getting a 61" deck and plan on running a rear 3 bin bagger as well. I'm concerned it'll bog down with a large deck and bagger. What I read was the largest engine for that machine is a 27hp Kawi air cooled. My old Wildcat had a 25hp and while it never stalled out, I did bog it down here and there. so will an extra 2hp be enough to run a larger deck and a bagger?

If I go with a Cheetah, I can get a larger engine. I wish the offered something in the 30hp range for the Tiger Cat. If you have anything good, bad or ugly to say about either the Cheetah or Tiger Cat, I'm all ears.

LandFakers
01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
I would go with the Cheetah, I have found that the HP numbers these days are a little off and motors are weaker than they appear. There are alot of guys on here with the 34 kawi and love it! If you are going to be bagging then i would go with the biggest motor option.

I am also wondering why your sig says a 60" tigercat, already buy? :laugh:

Moose's Mowing
01-01-2013, 05:11 PM
I would go with the Cheetah, I have found that the HP numbers these days are a little off and motors are weaker than they appear. There are alot of guys on here with the 34 kawi and love it! If you are going to be bagging then i would go with the biggest motor option.

I am also wondering why your sig says a 60" tigercat, already buy? :laugh:

ha good question, guess I got a little overly excited last time I updated the sig :cool2:

ztman
01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
I have the cheetah with the 31 kawi, plenty of power and ride comfort. If you are going to a three bag bagger though you may want to reconsider the turf tiger.

Moose's Mowing
01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
well I think I've decided to skip the rear bagger. The amount of work I'd use it for doesn't justify the cost. But I was quoted several prices between the Cheetah and Tiger Cat. I've decided on the Tiger Cat 61 with Kawi 27hp. The best price was $8600 - $1300 for a rear three point mower trade in for a pretax total of about $7,400....seems reasonable. What do you guys think?

Ridin' Green
01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
I think before I bought anything, I'd want to get to demo them on real grass, and during the spring growth rush. It's a lot of money to spend to find that what you bought isn't quite what you'd hoped for on your properties. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm 6' and the TC is way too small/tight for leg room and overall comfort for me. The Cheetah is better, and the TT is far better.
I assume you've sat on all of them, but it's not quite the same as actually operating one under real world coonditions.

YMMV:)

Moose's Mowing
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
yeah I hear you on the size issue. I'm 6-4 and noticed the low height of the handles right away on the Tiger Cat. I'd have to make a little bracket to get them higher. The Tiger Cat is almost identical to the Wildcat I just sold. I loved the Wildcat and would take another in a heartbeat but no local dealers have any left, Scag quit making them I guess. The Wildcat cut great, was comfy to operate, pretty good on gas and light enough to not rut. I only sold it cause it had high-ish hours & it was a 52" vs a 61". I've grown enough to justify the cost of a new larger mower vs a used one so that's what I'm doing. The deck is the same between the both machines, just bigger, so I can't image the cut quality would be any different.

The price between the Tiger Cat and Cheetah is significant enough to go with the smaller machine. I also have no real purpose to mow grass at 50mph so the added cost of the cheetah won't help my productivity. I do all residentials and wouldn't need to hop around large complexes/parking lots. I just unload, mow, load up and hit the next one.

So besides the size issue, any other cons on the Tiger Cat?

Ridin' Green
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I didn't mean there would be a difference in the QOC, but that each machine would handle different enough to possibly make a difference in production for you.

I wouldn't buy a Cheetah for the speed. It's rare that the average LCO has enough open spaces to take true advantage of it anyway. I do like the platform on it for comfort though.

The only other issue is as you've already noted- the engine options are limited. Personally, I like a bigger engine than that offered on the TC. You may not always need it, but it's nice to have when you do, and it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. IME, a larger engine doesn't always use more gas since they don't have to work as hard to cut the same grass. Plus, if you are steadily growing, you may soon find that you need it.:)

Moose's Mowing
01-03-2013, 06:17 PM
gotcha. I stopped by a local dealer today on my way home. They had a Cheetah 52" demo unit sitting in the show room. I had slightly more room on the Cheetah than the TC but maybe by an inch. I still didnt fit under than handle bars. but MAN that suspension platform was sweet. The whole operator area has a shock absorber on it and its like an air ride seat.....Pretty slick but I don't think I can justify the increase in price. Still leaning toward the TC with the suspension seat. it's better on the hemorrhoids.

pugs
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Not sure what engine they are using that is 27HP other than the Kohler. Their website shows an FX730 Kawasaki which was rated at 26HP under the old system and is 24.5 under the new system. Unless there are some models not on the site.

The Wildcat and Tigercat are the same exact mower. The Wild just had some extras tossed in. Hydro cooler, adjustable control levers, flat free front tires. I forget what else.

If you do decide to go with a collection system, I think you will be alright since the Tigercat has 10cc pumps.

Moose's Mowing
01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
you're correct. the HP ratings seem to be a little jacked up currently from one dealer to another. I spoke to the one salesman today about it. He clarified that the Kawi 27 is actually a 26 under the new ratings. He also mentioned the 25 Kawi on my old Wildcat woulda been around 21hp with the new ratings. Seems most dealers I spoke to today weren't aware of this, or much else for that matter. I guess some of the literature from 2012 to 2013 hasn't been "updated" yet. So thanks for clarifying. I've def decided on the TigerCat and will be nixing the bagger.

On a side note, in the past two days, I've called about 15 dealers within drivein distance to me. Of those 15, I'd say 3 of them had a clue what they were talking about. The others were just reading specs right out of the book....I mean come on, for that kinda $$ for a stupid mower, I'd expect the salesman to know wtf he's saying. Most everything I got today was already right on the website and many dealers just quoted me MSRP and had an attitude of "eh take it or leave it" I'm really hoping my local dealer (which I really like) will come through on the price for me or at least get close. A little customer service goes a loooooooong way and it sure is nice to be treated respectfully when you're about to drop that kinda coin on a piece of equipment, even if it is a lower priced unit. thanks for all your help, I'll post pics whenever I buy something

Ridin' Green
01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
you're correct. the HP ratings seem to be a little jacked up currently from one dealer to another. I spoke to the one salesman today about it. He clarified that the Kawi 27 is actually a 26 under the new ratings. He also mentioned the 25 Kawi on my old Wildcat woulda been around 21hp with the new ratings. Seems most dealers I spoke to today weren't aware of this, or much else for that matter. I guess some of the literature from 2012 to 2013 hasn't been "updated" yet. So thanks for clarifying. I've def decided on the TigerCat and will be nixing the bagger.

On a side note, in the past two days, I've called about 15 dealers within drivein distance to me. Of those 15, I'd say 3 of them had a clue what they were talking about. The others were just reading specs right out of the book....I mean come on, for that kinda $$ for a stupid mower, I'd expect the salesman to know wtf he's saying. Most everything I got today was already right on the website and many dealers just quoted me MSRP and had an attitude of "eh take it or leave it" I'm really hoping my local dealer (which I really like) will come through on the price for me or at least get close. A little customer service goes a loooooooong way and it sure is nice to be treated respectfully when you're about to drop that kinda coin on a piece of equipment, even if it is a lower priced unit. thanks for all your help, I'll post pics whenever I buy something

There are a ton of posts and threads here on this subject. It's true that not many dealers seem to know the a** from a hole in the ground, which is really pathetic IMO.

The poster above who told you that the old 27 is now a 24.5 is correct. The dealer was still full of it when he said 26. It's all right on Kawi's website. Unfortunately, Kohler is not making the switch over to the new and more accurate rating system unless they have to for some of their bigger buyers like they have to for Deere, so their website is still misleading and causing confusion for many.

pugs
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Honestly the dealer does not have access to much more information on new units than what is in the literature so reading the specs out of there is about all they can do. They might get a list of some new features or engine options at a yearly update but thats about it.

Doesnt matter what brand, its pretty much across the board. The ones that may be able to tell you a bit more are probably ones like myself that are the salesman and the mechanic combined since they may have worked on the machine or have looked it over thoroughly with mechanics eyes.

Exmarkboy13
01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
ive used both.the tiger cat is real nimble, especially if you get a 52". if your gonna get a 61", get the turf tiger. hills with the tiger cat, forget about it lol. get the turf tiger if your cutting inclines

Sharps_lawn&landscaping
01-07-2013, 11:31 PM
I have three turf tigers. All different engine sizes. I found out that the longer you are in business you can never have too much of a mower with the variety of accounts you may pick up. With that said the turf tiger can cover just about any scenario. The vanguard motors are by far my favorite for power. The new Kholer efi motor is very good also on fuel and power but we have it on a 52 inch Tt. If you want to be impressed get a 35 hp big block

biodale
01-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Get the cheetah. It has bigger pumps and a transaxle system. The ride is better. The only problem you will have with the Cheetah is going too fast for a good cut. You are right, the money is not that much more.

Sharps_lawn&landscaping
01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
The cheetah uses more power up with the new hydro system. If you get one make sure it's a bigger size motor if you need it for tough cuts.

Moose's Mowing
02-03-2013, 10:14 AM
OK guys, thanks for the advice on this. I decided on a 2013 Turf Tiger. 61" with 27hp Kawi. I skipped the bagger. Here's a pic from the other day when I picked it up. the 2013 has some neat little upgrades over the 2012. nothing huge, just little odds and ends. I'll post more pics this spring. Maybe I'll take a few more after I unload it from the trailer.

Blade Runners
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM
umm, that's not a Turf Tiger.

puppypaws
02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
OK guys, thanks for the advice on this. I decided on a 2013 Turf Tiger. 61" with 27hp Kawi. I skipped the bagger. Here's a pic from the other day when I picked it up. the 2013 has some neat little upgrades over the 2012. nothing huge, just little odds and ends. I'll post more pics this spring. Maybe I'll take a few more after I unload it from the trailer.

You meant "Tiger Cat" right?

Moose's Mowing
02-10-2013, 06:42 PM
ha yep, my bad. Tiger Cat is what I got. One day I'll get the name right

puppypaws
02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
ha yep, my bad. Tiger Cat is what I got. One day I'll get the name right

What's causing the name problem; is in reality you have been wanting a Turf Tiger...Wishful thinking has ways of playing tricks on the mind...LOL