PDA

View Full Version : Wicking with Roundup?

GroundKprs
08-18-2000, 11:56 PM
In another thread, dhicks mentioned "painting" weed grasses in the lawn with Roundup. I used to do this frequently, sometimes using a tube fed sponge (to get rid of wheat in spring after a fall seeding) or a cloth glove over a rubber glove (grassy weeds in groundcovers). The usual mix of Roundup was 50/50, since only a little of the grass blades or weed leaf were being contacted.
However with new Roundup Pro, with surfactant added, I find that I get burndown around the target weed, using the 50/50 ratio. What ratios of the new Roundup has anyone you found to be effective in wick application, without bleeding into desired plants.

jaclawn
08-19-2000, 09:58 PM
I use the 50/50 mix without any damage to non-target plants. I run it through a hockey stick type of wick applicator. Works fairly well, but can be tedious in a large ground cover bed.

dhicks
08-19-2000, 10:58 PM
I have always used the pre-mixed store type Round Up with good results. FYI... I had another customer get out the Round Up bottle this week. All the Turf near his propane tank is dead and so is his lopes. Thanks God, this is only a small area that is damaged. His wife was still chewing him out this morning when I arrived.

Runner
08-20-2000, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a wick type applicator (hockey stick type) for my backpack sprayer? Or of any type?

jaclawn
08-20-2000, 09:59 PM
I got mine @ Lesco. About $30. It is a length of PVC pipe, with a 45, then another short piece of PVC. The PVC has 4 holes in it, and a wick that runs through the inside of the pipe, and then runs along the outside of the pipe. The pipe acts as the resivoir.

One could make one with a little time, and a few dollars in material from the plumbing section of your favorite hardware store.

I bought mine because I had an immedate need for one, and did not have time to fabricate one.

Runner
08-20-2000, 10:11 PM
Hey, Thank you Jaclawn.