PDA

View Full Version : fall clean up

fatguy28
11-15-2012, 10:16 AM
what do you do and what works best for you. i was thinking of buying one of those yard vac's. or a yard blower with a truck loader. what works best for you

goodgreen
11-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Probably depends on your volume. Most of my fall cleanups just require backpack blowing and pickup. Also how you dispose of them. Our city has trucks that take debris for several weeks, but only on Sat. from 8 am - noon. I do use tarps a lot also. But I understand the need for heavier equipment. I had one job this fall that took 9 hours!!

Darryl G
11-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Depends on the job, but I use back blowers and the rear bagger on my mower mostly. I have a leaf loader but don't have much use for it since I only haul leaves from a handfull of accounts. I fire up the 10HP wheel blower on occasion too.

herler
11-16-2012, 11:59 PM
I like running over them once with the mower first, the resulting pile is a lot smaller and fits easier in most places.

GARRETTWOOD
11-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Fall cleanup equipment that we use 4 backpacks, little wonder 13hp, Track vac truck loader. Mix of cleanups, lose some in woods others suck up and haul out.
Posted via Mobile Device

sven1277
11-19-2012, 06:35 PM
We use just about everything. 6 Shindy 802 bp blowers get everything out from tight areas. We have a big 16hp self propelled blower and a leaf plow mounted to the front of a ztr. They move large quantities. The bagging mower is used for final mow and cleanup. Finally, we use the 35 hp truck vac with to load 2 dump trucks with 14cy boxes. I have a crew of 5 guys. Two primarily run the leaf vac with the two dump trucks. The remaining 3 of us do the bulk of the lawn cleanups and pushing the leaves to the street. We have a great setup and system that works very well. Within 2 years, I will have 2 crews cleaning yards and pushing leaves to the curb so the vac guys are busy all month only sucking leaves. I hate it when the expensive truck vac is sitting because they caught up to us.

RSK Property Maintenance
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
2 or 3 backpacks, a 9hp little wonder wheeled blower, leaf plow on the front of the ztr for when the pile gets 3' high and the little wonder starts to slow down then they either go to the curb for the me or the town to suck up or the woods, also a bagger system for the mower is essential without one clean ups take a lot longer.

elbow300
11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
We run Red Max 8500 abd Stihl 600 blowers to get the structures blown out and the piles started. I have 3' x 6" leaf plows made from 3/4 treated plywood with aluminum curved side pieces so the pile wont slide off the sides. We push all the leaves to the closest pavement and vac into the dump truck. Lesco loader with 10" hose and 16 vanguard. We run a crew of 3 or 4 as a prep crew getting leaves in place to be loaded, and the vac truck crew chases and makes stops along the way for clients that clean their own leaves and put them on the curb for us to collect. We are getting to the point the vac truck can't keep up. We are a day behind the prep crew on collections now. I am considering another skid mount loader for the other truck, or possibly getting a larger trailer mounted unit to speed up the process. Any thoughts?

GrassGuerilla
11-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Using a Kaw backpack blower I realized my left hand was completely unused. For kicks, I fired up the bg 85 for lefty. Oh my god! Whooo hoo! I can move a wall of leaves like nothing else. Dry leaves, wet leaves, mud from sidewalks, no problem. The most stubborn stuck on debris gets "excited" by one blower, then blasted with a crosswind.

No fooling though, it will wear you out. Takes a bit to get coordinated using two blowers effectively. Burns fuel quite rapidly, but its way faster! I'm looking to buy a leaf loader for next year (if budget allows).
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-21-2012, 09:05 PM
2 backpacks at the same time works even better, or a backpack and a wheel blower at the same time. I have even used 2 backpacks and a wheel blower at the same time before.

THEGOLDPRO
11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
You guys could replace all of that equipment with just one hurricane lol

We run back pack blowers and 2 hurricane blowers. We lose 99% of the leaves on our properties.

GrassGuerilla
11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I have no idea how one manages two BP's. especially two big ones. One in front?

I was giggling as I worked two blowers, people were stopping to watch (much like a special school district outing).

I'm sore from wind milling two blowers for hours, but im sure it was quicker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Yes, one backback on my chest and one on my back. The Husky 580 BTS goes on my back and the Shindaiwa EB630 on my chest. They counter balance eachother. The EB630 has a hip mounted throttle so I just keep the throttle pinned and hold the tube in my left hand. It does get a bit tiring on my left arm because I have to bend the tube backwards a bit because the handle is too far away otherwise, and it's hard to hold the tube without the handle. You do get some fumes in your face too, but that only makes it more fun. You can add in the wheel blower too, but you leave that stationary and use the backpacks to "feed' it. Using the wheel blower and a backpack at the same time is actually not hard. I put my left hand on the handlebar and the backpack blower tube is aimed under the handlebar...the wheel blower is skimming the leaves off the top and pitching them and the backpack is scouring. Works great, on level ground anyway.

RSK Property Maintenance
11-21-2012, 11:07 PM
You guys could replace all of that equipment with just one hurricane lol

We run back pack blowers and 2 hurricane blowers. We lose 99% of the leaves on our properties.

i may just sell my little wonder and get a hurricane, i've seen the 314's going for 2700 brand new from dealers....and its just about double the cfm of my 9hp honda little wonder, question is, is the subaru the only motor you can get with the smaller 314?

corey4671
11-21-2012, 11:30 PM
I do the wheel blower/backpack blower thing too. Moves some serious leaves. I've also got a handheld blower I need to try to figure into the equation sometime to see if it helps. Best part about the wheel blower is if you have a gate you need to move gates through, I just place the wheel blower in line with the gate and then feed leaves in front of it with the backpack.