PDA

View Full Version : Precision cuts

daveyo
11-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I have a 6" brass grate with drainage of course I installed on a patio were doing. My question is whats the best method to precisely cut around the drain?

I'm using standard 2" 3/8 thick pavers, currently I have have an angle grinder with a 6" masonry blade which is not doing the job, I do have a 4" diamond blade but to me that wouldn't be feasible. Would a contoured blade be good, which I don't have but was wondering, any suggestions thanks.

scagrider22
11-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I would say you have the right tool for the job, keep trying! I use a 7'' masonry blade on the angle grinder or a 14'' demo saw, I can make very clean cuts with both, just takes practice.

DVS Hardscaper
11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Painters don't stand on the countertops when painting kitchens.

Use a dedicated paver table saw.
Posted via Mobile Device

daveyo
11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Painters don't stand on the countertops when painting kitchens.

Use a dedicated paver table saw.
Posted via Mobile Device

How am I cutting a 6" radius with a table saw? Not being sarcastic but I have one 9" paver with a 3" radius.

scagrider22
11-18-2012, 09:07 PM
You did t say it was round, you will need a core drill to make a clean cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

daveyo
11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I would say you have the right tool for the job, keep trying! I use a 7'' masonry blade on the angle grinder or a 14'' demo saw, I can make very clean cuts with both, just takes practice.

Ill give it a go tomorrow as my weds deadline looms, I just have the border, the drain and two small walkways left. I just want it to be clean so whatever it takes.

zedosix
11-18-2012, 09:27 PM
When I have to make cuts around a circular drain or anything circular if its that small then use a starter circle of brick. For instance the "rotunda" from techo works well, or paleo circle starters work well too. Your outside cuts would be much more manageable then.

DVS Hardscaper
11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
How am I cutting a 6" radius with a table saw? Not being sarcastic but I have one 9" paver with a 3" radius.

You can cut a 6" radius with a table saw.

Don't believe me? Kinda a busy week for me here. But within the next 10 days I'll post a picture. The pic may not quite be 6", but you'll get the idea. It wont help you with your dilema, but it'll show you that it's very possible :)

With that said, I try to find ways to avoid doing cuts like that. Seems like a big deal to us contractors, but 3 yrs from now no one will care about the cut.

daveyo
11-18-2012, 10:14 PM
You can cut a 6" radius with a table saw.

Don't believe me? Kinda a busy week for me here. But within the next 10 days I'll post a picture. The pic may not quite be 6", but you'll get the idea. It wont help you with your dilema, but it'll show you that it's very possible :)

With that said, I try to find ways to avoid doing cuts like that. Seems like a big deal to us contractors, but 3 yrs from now no one will care about the cut.

Lol yea Ill bet anything your right about that. I'll also bet that table saw trick isn't the easiest either. It kinda of reminds me of when we did round decks, our facia board had to bend, so we cut out notches in the whole back of the board until it would, well....bend, than we could nail it on.

The way I see a table saw cutting a radius is cutting lines through to the radius until you can start to carefully chip away with the blade and smooth it out, jmo. But I think im wrong.

alldayrj
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I do them on the table saw too but next time use a square grate! thats what I started doing lol

xtreem3d
11-19-2012, 08:36 AM
You did t say it was round, you will need a core drill to make a clean cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

You sound pretty intent on a pefect cut(which is great).. a core bit will solve your problem..won't be cheap though. It's what all the plumbers I have seen use to install round 6" drains in concrete. You also might need a big drill if you don't have one

Take a look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC-Y4zZ9ttg&feature=related

daveyo
11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
I do them on the table saw too but next time use a square grate! thats what I started doing lol

Ha! Funny you say that I looked for one today and nothing! I made my cuts today, i used an angle grinder with 4 1/4" diamond blade actually worked pretty good Ill try and post pics as soon i can, its been nuts lately with work, kids stuff, holiday coming up.

Dirt Boy
11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
This suggestion may not be your "first" choice, but you can, at least, be aware of it.
That is to take it (pavers) to a local mfg. company that has a water jet machine. They could easily cut any shape you want, and it would be as smooth as can be.

alldayrj
11-20-2012, 11:48 AM
while were on the topic, does anyone have a good source for NICE grates? I hate slapping a piece of plastic garbage in one of my patios? maybe black or brass or something?

daveyo
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Here is the picture of the cuts, just have to line the area back up but its done.

daveyo
11-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Here is the picture of the cuts, I just have to line the pavers back up in that section otherwise it went well.

big daddy b
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Here is the picture of the cuts, I just have to line the pavers back up in that section otherwise it went well.

NAILED IT.
Looks really good man!

zedosix
11-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Great job for sure!

daveyo
11-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks, means a lot the quality you produce is bar none.

DVS Hardscaper
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Amazing!

CSLC
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Great JOB!!!

daveyo
11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate that.