PDA

View Full Version : ~$300 backpack blower for homeowner, 3/4 acre

Dave88LX
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Have it narrowed down to the following choices. Can't really go much more than this amount of money, as my wife is already looking at me like I'm lazy/crazy for "needing" one.

Specs are all fairly similar. Any input on these models? Other features which would put one above the other? Are the specs close enough to be considered a "wash"?

I am on 3/4 acre, backed to the woods. I can just blow everything over to the woods line which would be verrrry nice.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6b9yq2Ntv0o/UKmTBifdP6I/AAAAAAAABFM/dMSvbsV4nqI/s543/house_aerial.jpg

Thanks.

Echo PB-500H/PB-500T (any input on hip vs. tube mounted throttle?)
$329
CC: 50.8
MPH: 195
CFM: 465 (w/ tube)
MPH x CFM = 90675

Stihl BR350
$369
CC: 63.3
MPH: 168
CFM: 441 (w/ tube)
MPH x CFM = 74088

Husqvarna 350BT/350BH (frame vs. tube controls)
$319
CC: 50.2
MPH: 180
CFM: 494 (w/ tube)
MPH x CFM = 88920

Husqvarna 150BT (bit lower class than above I gather)
$299
CC: 50.2
MPH: 251 (see below, I assume in housing, not tube?)
CFM: 710 (in housing, I assume this is not tube)

- Dave

larryinalabama
11-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Which ever one you get take the muffler off.

Dave88LX
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Which ever one you get take the muffler off.Can't tell if you're serious or not...

Darryl G
11-18-2012, 09:27 PM
The waist belts on the Husqvarna blowers are nice for taking the weight off your shoulders. I used hip mounted throttles for 10 years but now that I have a tube mounted one I prefer it...free us the other hand for picking up sticks or whatever you want to do with it.

Not really sure what the difference is between the 150 and 350 but the 350s are a pretty decent and reliable unit.

herler
11-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Don't even waste your time.

Can't tell if you're serious or not...

He is, they're so worthless that by taking the muffler off you might get the power you need out of one.

hi_speedreed
11-19-2012, 12:05 AM
If you are willing to spend that kind of money, why don't you get a price on having it done for you. Saves time, money, and were tear on equipment. I'm sure you have a local guy who is willing to blow leaves for you.

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Don't even waste your time.On getting a blower?

He is, they're so worthless that by taking the muffler off you might get the power you need out of one.Got it, thanks.

If you are willing to spend that kind of money, why don't you get a price on having it done for you. Saves time, money, and were tear on equipment. I'm sure you have a local guy who is willing to blow leaves for you.I have gotten quotes on other things, and the people around here are astronomical. Maybe it's my locale. Costs would add up getting it done year after year also.

If I could find a quality landscape/lawn person who would do a good job and not rake me over the coals, that'd be one thing. But I'm getting quotes of $700 for pest control, $3500 to run a skidsteer for a couple days etc. Maybe the lawn business is different though.

Ridin' Green
11-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Not everyone can afford a top end blower, and of the ones he listed I would definitely go with the 350. I don't belive they even make the 150 now, but they do still have the specs on their site. The main difference in them is that the 350 is a strato-charged engine (like all their pro grade blowers are), which means better on fuel and lower emmisions.

For the size place in that pic, a 350 would be more than enough blower.

Darryl G
11-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Get a quote and then when it comes out to $500 or more, show that to the wife and use it to justify getting a top of the line blower, lol. If you were a pro I'd say to step up to something bigger, but as a homeowner those units should work fine for you as long as you're not trying to move large piles of soaking wet leaves long distances or anything.

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 12:38 AM
:laugh:

Looking at my yard and the 7-10 huge oaks, is that a $500 leaf removal job?

Her answer would be: Why can't you just rake it, and take the 2 and 4 year old out with you? Actually it would be more like "don't you have better things you could work on?"

hi_speedreed
11-19-2012, 12:57 AM
If I could find a quality landscape/lawn person who would do a good job and not rake me over the coals, that'd be one thing. But I'm getting quotes of $700 for pest control, $3500 to run a skidsteer for a couple days etc. Maybe the lawn business is different though.

Have you looked into the cost of the chemicals to do pest control yourself? They are not cheap and people don't want to work for free.

Same on the skidsteer. If you think you can do it rent one yourself. Around here you can rent one from CAT for $240 a day or $700 a week but you better have a truck and trailer that can haul cause that don't include delivery and pickup. You homeowners look at this stuff and don't think about what we have to pay to be legitimate businesses. I'll give you an example. In WV, just my 5x12 open trailer is $92 a year in property taxes. What do you suppose taxes on a skid steer and a trailer big enough to haul it are? We also are to pay for wear and tear, fuel, wages, payroll taxes, etc... So if you want to do it yourself just do it. Don't come to the pro forum and ask for advice then complain about prices.

The blower you are looking at is not nearly big enough from a guy who does this for a livings POV. If you want to do it yourself at least buy a top of the line BP blower. Husky 570 or 580 Stilhl Magnum, Redmax 5700 or 5800 Echo 700 just search youtube for big BP blowers and you will find them all.

hi_speedreed
11-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Here is a link I found for you.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=295923

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 01:23 AM
Believe me, I understand all that. I'm not knocking your profession and do realize all the additional costs involved. I'm simply saying it would not be cost effective for me. Expensive locale. Try not to misread me, or get so defensive.

...and for the record, I do plan to "just do it" which is why I asked about these specific models (some pre-research). And my Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins and trailer will haul a skidsteer just fine lol.

I do appreciate your insight into the blowers, thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Here is a link I found for you.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=295923Super helpful...Hugs and kisses your way!!!
On my phone, pita...catch up in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

hi_speedreed
11-19-2012, 02:18 AM
I can save you the trouble of filling out the form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFPIBXKx5-o

Darryl G
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Dave - You might find this helpful...popular mechanics review of blowers. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/outdoor-tools/backpack-leaf-blower-comparison-echo-pb-500#slide-1

herler
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM

Well, those kind of quotes along with everything else I'm reading and seeing lead me to believe you want something for nothing.

Now you come in here ask us what we think...
You need $500 for a decent backpack blower.
That's what I think.

People will hem and haw over it, but this, but that, blablabla, they all want the best for less, it never ends with the cheapness.
A Backpack blower is designed to last 20 years, this assumes the operator takes care of his equipment, it assumes nobody ever runs straight fuel in it, it assumes the equipment will see some kind of regular maintenance, all in all that is assuming a lot but for $500 and a bit of maintenance and annual upkeep they really do last a long, long time.
Save $$$ here and get a $300 blower, trying to save a dollar you still won't have what you need.
For a backpack blower, you need to spend $500.

In the meantime ...

You could always rent a 8 to 10 hp push blower and be done in 1-2 hours, take you half a day running it back and forth to the rental place but all in all you should come out just south of $100 and that takes care of the leaves this year.

Then, start saving $$$ for next fall.

Richard Martin
11-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I'll give you an example. In WV, just my 5x12 open trailer is $92 a year in property taxes. What do you suppose taxes on a skid steer and a trailer big enough to haul it are?

Wow! We have PP tax here too. My 2003 Mid Atlantic 6.5X16 tandem axle trailer just fell off of the tax rolls. They said it's not worth taxing. When they did tax it the tax was under $10 a year. Strangely enough, I think it's worth about $2,200 or the cost to replace it. :laugh:

orangemower
11-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Well, those kind of quotes along with everything else I'm reading and seeing lead me to believe you want something for nothing.

That's what I think.

People will hem and haw over it, but this, but that, blablabla, they all want the best for less, it never ends with the cheapness.
A Backpack blower is designed to last 20 years, this assumes the operator takes care of his equipment, it assumes nobody ever runs straight fuel in it, it assumes the equipment will see some kind of regular maintenance, all in all that is assuming a lot but for $500 and a bit of maintenance and annual upkeep they really do last a long, long time.
Save $$$ here and get a $300 blower, trying to save a dollar you still won't have what you need.
For a backpack blower, you need to spend $500.

In the meantime ...

You could always rent a 8 to 10 hp push blower and be done in 1-2 hours, take you half a day running it back and forth to the rental place but all in all you should come out just south of $100 and that takes care of the leaves this year.

Then, start saving $$$ for next fall.

Doesn't everyone want something for nothing? Even you buy refurbished stuff because it's cheaper. It's funny because you tell everyone else that they should spend $500 on a blower yet you look for the cheap stuff.

Darryl G
11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Doesn't everyone want something for nothing? Even you buy refurbished stuff because it's cheaper. It's funny because you tell everyone else that they should spend $500 on a blower yet you look for the cheap stuff.

Good point...just yesterday he was recommending a refurbished Husqvarna 128L trimmer to a pro..........

herler
11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Refurbished items did just cross my mind but if you can find a good refurbished blower for $300 you should
buy it already because you also need to consider we're looking for a leaf blower, in the fall!
Try finding this same blower around February if you want a deal.
July and August are good months as well, maybe September.

But you try and find a backpack blower "cheap" in the fall, that's like all the folks running out
to try and find a generator because a hurricane is on the radar, who are all these folks kidding?

You want to find a deal, you need to buy it during the off season.

Here are two I could scare up on short notice but they're no deal, just the best I could find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-backpack-leaf-blower-350-BF-yard-blower-New-warranty-Husky-350-/290640352477#vi-content

Now I did find a 560BTS new for $400, it's about a 500 cfm blower...
http://www.allenlawnmower.com/shopsite/product18361.html?gclid=CN-asuqe27MCFQu0nQodQ1oAxw#18361

On a bonus note, give it two months if you want to find deals on generators.
Bet you can find some power generator sales around 15.Jan-28.Feb !

Make a note of it so you don't forget.

MOturkey
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't have a problem with anyone asking questions, homeowner or not. I'm so ignorant of many things involved in landscaping, for instance, it isn't even funny. None of us can know everything.

However, the old adage of using the right tool for the job comes to mind. No one wants to spend more money than they have to, but anyone, business owner, or homeowner, should consider the long term costs and benefits when purchasing equipment. Herler gets off on a tangent at times, but he also makes some valid points. The guy's wife doesn't understand power equipment, but probably wouldn't hesitate to spend $500 on some pretty doo-dad to hang on the wall in the house. Anyone male on here that is married should be able to relate to that scenario. :)

Simply put, are you going to go cheap and dread the drudgery of blowing the leaves every fall, or buy top of the line and make it a somewhat enjoyable chore? No more than the average homeowner is going to use a commercial blower, they should basically last forever.

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Dave - You might find this helpful...popular mechanics review of blowers. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/outdoor-tools/backpack-leaf-blower-comparison-echo-pb-500#slide-1Thanks for that link, I actually came across that last night when I was researching the different models.

That's what I think.Again, the first part of your post is innacurate, and as I stated, I never brought business into this until it was suggested I hire out the work. I'm looking for a product, not a service. Please don't read me wrong. I'm not here to knock your profession, I'm just looking for equipment.

The second part is informative; I did ask what people think. I (incorrectly) thought that a $300-$400 range would provide a good middle-of-the-road cost for a product, above the handhelds and low CC/CFM/MPH backpacks, and below the higher priced commercial-grade units.

Refurbished items did just cross my mind but if you can find a good refurbished blower for $300 you should
buy it already because you also need to consider we're looking for a leaf blower, in the fall!

But you try and find a backpack blower "cheap" in the fall, that's like all the folks running out
to try and find a generator because a hurricane is on the radar, who are all these folks kidding?

Here are two I could scare up on short notice but they're no deal, just the best I could find:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-backpack-leaf-blower-350-BF-yard-blower-New-warranty-Husky-350-/290640352477#vi-content

http://www.allenlawnmower.com/shopsite/product18361.html?gclid=CN-asuqe27MCFQu0nQodQ1oAxw#18361

Make a note of it so you don't forget.Much better, thank you!

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 10:24 AM
However, the old adage of using the right tool for the job comes to mind. No one wants to spend more money than they have to, but anyone, business owner, or homeowner, should consider the long term costs and benefits when purchasing equipment. Herler gets off on a tangent at times, but he also makes some valid points. The guy's wife doesn't understand power equipment, but probably wouldn't hesitate to spend $500 on some pretty doo-dad to hang on the wall in the house. Anyone male on here that is married should be able to relate to that scenario. :)Well said on both points!

She's a professional photographer (I don't mean a stay-at-home mom that went out and bought a Canon Rebel DSLR "professional"). $3000 camera body, $1000s in lenses, $500 flash, umbrellas and lights/strobes/reflectors/tripods out the A$$. That crap adds up quick. I don't get it, but, I don't question it.

Ridin' Green
11-19-2012, 11:08 AM
I own several BP blowers, including two top tier models- a Husky 570 BTS and BR 600 Stihl. Like I said in my earlier post, the Husky 350 they sell at Lowe's is plenty for your needs as a homeowner and is in your price range. Is bigger better? Almost always. That is, unless you simply can't afford it, and/or you want to stay married.:)

The 350 will do fine for your place, especially if you aren't the lazy type of homeowner who tries to wait and do the leaves all at one time, on one day. Do them once a week throughout the fall with the 350, and you'll have no problems at all. I would go to a local Husqvarna dealer though if you have one around your area, since you'll get the same machine at the same price, and better service if needed afterwards.

kawasaki guy
11-19-2012, 02:22 PM
If you can spend $70.00 more, the Kawasaki KRRB650B blowers sell on ebay for about $370.00 new. They are pro grade, and really powerful. I have one too.

larryinalabama
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Can't tell if you're serious or not...

Just trying to help, I figured without a muffler you coudlnt hear the wire iching.

If it were me Id buy the best that Shindawia now makes, and buy a new truck to bring it home in. Make sure the truck has a loud radio.

kawasaki guy
11-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Make a note of it so you don't forget.

Craigslist is loaded.

Nutsedge
11-20-2012, 06:15 AM
I love it when someone having a bad day takes it out on someone not looking to break the bank while still getting something accomplished. Nobody wants to pay more for something than what it's worth, but that's not a tangible metric in all reality as the worth of something is what that certan individual deems it to be. So anyone wanting to sound tough in the net in a similar situation take this advice, don't do it. You only make yourself look like an ass and that's not worth the 1minute of satisfaction you gain making posts like that.

I feel your pain OP though my wife is actually pretty undderstanding. It doesn't help that I'm a pretty handy mo fo and could probably keep even the lowest quality equipment running for quite a long time. Just try your best to let her know the facts and that what you want to buy and plan on doing with that purchase actually is saving you money in the long term.

I'm a huge fan of Craigslist/finding old crap someone else doesn't want and making it run like it should. My current back pack blower is an early SN Echo PB-300E. I'm certian the models you are looking at/listed in the first post would blast it to the noon but for my needs (1/3 acre with a 35' Cleveland pear/2 35' green ashs'/about 40% of my neighbors 50' pin oak in my yard) it does the trick.

I'm sure you could find the models you listed on CL that are a year old or maybe even brand new for under your $300 budget.

If all else fails do like I do. Ask yourself "is she going to divorce me for doing this"? Chances are probably not!
Posted via Mobile Device

Brules
11-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Too bad you have a limit OP - nothing like going all Tim Taylor on the leaves with a full blown commercial grade Husqy 570 unit:

http://youtu.be/0EBSrCeOwRw

kawasaki guy
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that link, I actually came across that last night when I was researching the different models.

I don't think they are correct about the Kawasaki. It has so much velocity, it blows me away. :)

Just thought you would like to know.

:)

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Too bad you have a limit OP - nothing like going all Tim Taylor on the leaves with a full blown commercial grade Husqy 570 unit:

http://youtu.be/0EBSrCeOwRw

Nice little blower you have there. I have 580 and it's a beast. Mine has a good bit more air flow but less velocity.

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't think they are correct about the Kawasaki. It has so much velocity, it blows me away. :)

Just thought you would like to know.

:)

Yeah, I wouldn't really call 190mph low velocity. But 450 cfm is on the low side. I know ratings can vary depending on the manufacturer, but the Redmax 8500/Husqvarna 580 put out twice that and at a higher mph. If you're impressed by your unit, you'd probably be blown away at the power of one of the top tier units.

Ridin' Green
11-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Nice little blower you have there. I have 580 and it's a beast. Mine has a good bit more air flow but less velocity.

Not really any appreciable difference between them in this interesting test-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqL085xf-g

I'll take my little (and lighter, less expensive, better scouring, etc., HA!) 570 any day. :weightlifter::D

Darryl G
11-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Where the 580 really excels in it's factory configuartion is mowing heavy debris, which is what I need to do a lot of. By adding an intermediate extenstion tube it scours quite well. If I want to move large piles or blow out beds I can remove the end tube...so two intermediate tubes with no tapered end. It does a fantastic job of blowing out beds like that without blowing the mulch out. I basically end up with 3 blowers in one.

Nutsedge
11-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Those RM machines are quite impressive!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Interesting test. Once my damn kids stop screaming maybe I can interpret it.

I'm somewhat convinced to step up to a larger one. STFU KIDS! Haha.

Darryl G
11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Bottom line, in my opinion: Once you get up into the 500-600 cfm range at 180-200 mph or so you've got a pretty powerful and usefull blower. Anything beyond that is probably overkill for a homeowner.

Capemay Eagle
11-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Interesting test. Once my damn kids stop screaming maybe I can interpret it.

I'm somewhat convinced to step up to a larger one. STFU KIDS! Haha. I would vote for the first one, the Echo. But if you decide to step up, consider the Stihl BR500 or the BR600 Magnum. I got the BR600 magnum a while back and it is incredible. I cannot wait till Stihl makes an ever more powerful blower!!

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Bottom line, in my opinion: Once you get up into the 500-600 cfm range at 180-200 mph or so you've got a pretty powerful and usefull blower. Anything beyond that is probably overkill for a homeowner.I just read your thread about the 580 here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363899

I hate you guys. That 580 is almost double the CFM of the 350 (907 vs 494) and 26 more MPH (206 vs 180). Like you said, probably overkill for me. The 350 is barely almost into the range you mention.

Darryl G
11-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, it's almost double your budget too, lol. Another thing to consider is your size and level of fitness/stamina. It's not going to do much good to get a big blower that you find difficult to use for any length of time.

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm 5'2" 135 lbs, it won't be a problem.:weightlifter:
;)

Just messing...6'1" 200 lbs...should be OK with the size. Still reading and debating. You're right about it being double the budget. I need to stop reading and thinking so much.

Ridin' Green
11-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I would vote for the first one, the Echo. But if you decide to step up, consider the Stihl BR500 or the BR600 Magnum. I got the BR600 magnum a while back and it is incredible. I cannot wait till Stihl makes an ever more powerful blower!!

According to the Stihl rep we talked with this year at the outdoor show, there isn't any plan to go bigger than the 600 Stihl. They may come out with another strato-charged 2 stroke that would equal the 600, but they don't plan to go bigger anytime soon.

My Husky 570 is quite a bit more powerful than my BR600. I rarely use the 600 anymore.

Ridin' Green
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm 5'2" 135 lbs, it won't be a problem.:weightlifter:
;)

Just messing...6'1" 200 lbs...should be OK with the size. Still reading and debating. You're right about it being double the budget. I need to stop reading and thinking so much.

Just go to buy the biggest one in your price range, then end up actually going one size bigger and you'll be more than satisfied usually. Take a look at the Husky 560 too. It is almost an identical machine to the 570 Husky, but it doesn't have quite as much power due to its fan design, it has a different air filter, and it costs less.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/blowers/560bfs/#specifications

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I've almost convinced myself to get the Husqvarna 570. Everything is closed today, but I'll do some calling around tomorrow off the list off their website. I can't tell what's a store and what's not based off their listing.

MSRP is $499. Do they typically sell for less?

Ridin' Green
11-25-2012, 02:10 PM
"MSRP is $499. Do they typically sell for less? "

Not in my experience. You may be able to buy one for less online, but I can't even say for sure on that. Besides, I prefer to buy from the same place that I would go to if I need service for anything.

I've used my 570 for just over a year, and it is an extemelt impressive blower, especially one you get it broken in good, which takes a few tanks of fuel at a minimum to do. I use Amsoil Saber mixed at 80:1 in all my hand held power tools except for my chainsaws (Saber is rated for 100:1 mixing), and I couldn't be happier with it in the Husky.

Will P.C.
11-25-2012, 02:22 PM
The reality of the situation is you will use this blower less than 30 hours a year.

Whatever in your price range will suit your yard.

Darryl G
11-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I got my 580 for $529 last year and I think they were $559 at that point. But I got mine from my rental yard that I do a fair amount of business with. They're also a Husqvarna dealer.

The problem with online sales from some manufacturers is that the warranty is automatically voided if the unit wasn't sold by an authorized dealer, assembled and fired up by them prior to delivery to the customer. Not sure if that's the case with Husky.

The 570 (and 580) are big heavy units but should last you a lifetime of residential use if treated well and stored properly when not in use. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 350 and you'll be blown away by the bigger units, no pun intended, lol.

On a side note: The hip belt on my 580 is showing wear where the flexible portion of the blower tube rubs against it. I'm worn through the fabric to the stiffener in a spot about 1/2 inch long. I'll see if I have any more sail repair tape around...love that stuff for fabric repairs!

Capemay Eagle
11-25-2012, 05:19 PM
According to the Stihl rep we talked with this year at the outdoor show, there isn't any plan to go bigger than the 600 Stihl. They may come out with another strato-charged 2 stroke that would equal the 600, but they don't plan to go bigger anytime soon.

My Husky 570 is quite a bit more powerful than my BR600. I rarely use the 600 anymore. Thanks for that info. I am no hurry since I just got my Blower a couple of years ago, but I love to upgrade!!

Anyhoo, Stihl will eventually build a bigger and better blower, basically just for what you said at the end of your post. Gotta keep up or get left behind.

Ridin' Green
11-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for that info. I am no hurry since I just got my Blower a couple of years ago
However Stihl will eventually build a bigger and better blower, basically just for what you said at the end of your post. Gotta keep up or get left behind.

That's what I said to him, but he said that they felt that blowers have gotten about as powerful as is practical while still being portable on your back, because going larger in power also means going a bit larger in the size of the machine due to needing to have a larger impeller, so they are focusing on better fuel efficiency and ergonomics more than power now. He said if a person needed more than the top tier blowers offer now, they'd be better off with a walk behind model of one brand or another. Kinda makes me wonder if they have one of those coming somewhere in the not too distant future. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Im an Echo guy all the way, never had a problem. That being said I've also had a Husqvarna 130BT, which was great for cleaning up grass clippings after I cut. It's not made to be a commercial leaf blower by any means. You should be fine spending the $200 on the 130BT and spending a few hours every Fall to clean the leaves up.

-Michael

And please go to the homeowner forum from now on.

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Man...ain't that some discrimination!!!:eek:

Kidding.

Darryl G
11-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Personally I'd rather have Dave here than some of the "professionals" we have, lol.

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Personally I'd rather have Dave here than some of the "professionals" we have, lol.:laugh: Thanks Darryl. I strive to educate myself and use the search function.

Darryl G
11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
You're welcome.

If you buy one of those blowers, all you'll need need to start your lawn care business is some homemade brochures to put in bags along with some rocks to throw in people's driveways, a 25 year old 3.5 horse push mower you found on the curb, a couple of bungie cords to keep the trunk of your car closed and $50 for fuel and 30 pack of beer. Then you can call yourself "one of us." :laugh:

Dave88LX
11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Hahaha. I've slacked more than I care to admit since moving here. There's been a couple times I've had a guy pushing a mower up the street ask if he can cut my yard for $xx. Always when I'm outside getting ready to finally cut. Then there is the guy with the Escort with a hitch and cooler-carrier, with the mower sitting on top bungie-corded down, literally.

I suffer from Tim Allen disease. I don't need this stuff. But I'd rather spend 10 hours learning about blowers, researching them etc. figuring out which blower to buy, than just taking the 3 hours to take my ass out there with a rake and get it done.

Nutsedge
11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
To be honest my early 80's Echo bp-300e is enough for blowing dry leaves and grass around at my home. I'm thinking the 300 means that its blowing roughly 300 cfm so pretty much anything by new would trueky blow it away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brules
11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Just all depends on how many leaves you have......I have 2 60' pin oaks plus a zillion other trees that drop multiple feet deep worth of leaves lol.......I blow them to my drainage ditch and burn them, so I will move massive amounts of leaves a long ways to accomplish this - thus I need all the power I can get.

Thanks goodness the wife fully understands what a pain in the butt they are. She loves the yard clean, so I get a big toy to do it with lol!

Dave88LX
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I have a bunch of whateverthehelltheseare trees. :)

http://dave88lx.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/P1120194.jpg

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Look like oaks to me. If you have a bunch of acorns too then that's what they are.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
11-26-2012, 06:36 PM
It seems like Darryl and I go separate ways on everything.

I don't do the rocks in the zip-lock bag, but it is much quicker than door-to-door. I have found that many people let them sit in their driveway and blow onto the street or their yard.

I don't expect you to mail out postcards but that seems to be one of the best ways and it is how I will be marketing from now on. With ads in a few papers/magazines as well.

-Michael

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I think someone missed the point, lol.

Dave88LX
11-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I hate you guys.

570BTS.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fwFX_8AhtTk/ULQtXrmd83I/AAAAAAAABGs/DhvWEGB_3Qo/s1308/20121126_215540.jpg

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Is that where you'll be sleeping for a while too? LOL. Congratulations.

Keep in mind that the engine may be a little tight at first, so throttle response may not be great and it won't have it's full power until you run 5 or more tanks of fuel through it. And don't run it full throttle for any extended periods at first either.

Please post back here after you've gotten a chance to use it a bit.

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Is that yours?

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Is that where you'll be sleeping for a while too? LOL. Congratulations.

Keep in mind that the engine may be a little tight at first, so throttle response may not be great and it won't have it's full power until you run 5 or more tanks of fuel through it. And don't run it full throttle for any extended periods at first either.

Please post back here after you've gotten a chance to use it a bit.

Why not run it at full throttle? Both Stihl and Husky say that any blower is safe to do that with since they are considered under load at all times when running. Mine didn't have any throttle lag at first. None. It did take more than 5 tanks full though to really start to breeak in good. More like closer to 10 IIRC.

Dave88LX
11-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the tips Darryl. I'll take it easy. Yessir, picked it up after work today. The more I read and researched, the more I was sold on one of these higher grade units.

My wife asked how much it was, I said "4 something", which, without tax, is accurate!:cool2: Then her jaw dropped and I got the "You spent $400 dollars on that thing! Said that it's more cost effective for me to work and make the money to pay for it than I would be for days out there raking. Called me a dork, Ghostbuster, and a few other names, and went about our business. :laugh:

Brules
11-26-2012, 10:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHA AWESOME! Same one I have......

My only tip is run high quality oil in the mix.....my dealer said he had several crews start to use them and they were running their Stihl mix through the Husqys and the engines were burning up as they run much hotter than a lot of the other units. He wasn't selling me oil as he said use anything rated equal to the Husqy mix and I would be fine.

Enjoy it! It is a beast!

Make the extra $ back by blowing some other yards around you if you have to.

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 10:55 PM
I hate you guys.

570BTS.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fwFX_8AhtTk/ULQtXrmd83I/AAAAAAAABGs/DhvWEGB_3Qo/s1308/20121126_215540.jpg

Dave-
you'll find that it is a LOT more comfortable to run (especially for longer periods) if you take the pistol grip off, and flip it upside down and reverse it so that it is sitting above the tube instead of down along side it.
These pics show what I mean-
http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Gun4Fun/Tractor%20pics/100_1405.jpg

Will P.C.
11-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice garage floor Dave. When did you do it? I did mine in the tan color about 5-6 years ago and it is starting to wear in places. I will be doing it again.

Congrats on the blower

Dave88LX
11-26-2012, 11:01 PM

My only tip is run high quality oil in the mix.....my dealer said he had several crews start to use them and they were running their Stihl mix through the Husqys and the engines were burning up as they run much hotter than a lot of the other units. He wasn't selling me oil as he said use anything rated equal to the Husqy mix and I would be fine.

Enjoy it! It is a beast!

Make the extra $ back by blowing some other yards around you if you have to.I got the "XP Professional" oil to run in it. Place said that stuff would be good to go, yes? Had to get a separate jug since it's different thatn my Echo string trimmer.

Dave-
you'll find that it is a LOT more comfortable to run (especially for longer periods) if you take the pistol grip off, and flip it upside down and reverse it so that it is sitting above the tube instead of down along side it. Alright cool, I will have to mess around with it...thank you.

Here's a question: He asked if I wanted the one on display that was already assembled. I said sure. All it came with was the instruction manual and a little tool. There isn't anything else that it was supposed to come with was it? Waist belt and the flat blade attachment are for the 580?

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 11:01 PM

Enjoy it! It is a beast!

Make the extra $ back by blowing some other yards around you if you have to.

Your dealer is full of it. The Husky 570's don't run any hotter than any other 2 stroke, and in fact mine seems to run a little cooler than my stihl 2 stroke does. Since it is a 2 stroke, and quality oil will work OK, even stihl orange bottle which I have used as well as their HP Ultra. Then I switched to amsoil Saber, and will never use anything else again if I can help it. It is worlds ahead of the other stuff including husky's own semi synthetic oil. The RM version of the 580 had some over heating issues at first, but that has been taken care of as of earlier this year. Maybe your dealer had a few 580's that were running hot due to the same problem, but I have yet to hear anyone with a 580 complain about that issue.

Dave88LX
11-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice garage floor Dave. When did you do it? I did mine in the tan color about 5-6 years ago and it is starting to wear in places. I will be doing it again.

Congrats on the blowerThank you! I did it about 4 years ago. Product I used is called Wolverine Coatings, purchased through Alpha Garage: http://www.alphagarage.com/ My garage is their thumbnail for Gallery 3. Both the company an the product are phenomenal. 100% solids epoxy.

What kind of epoxy did you use? I can't see this stuff wearing through. IIRC, it has a 5-7 mil primer, ~15 mil color coat, and 5-7 mil top coat.

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 11:08 PM
I got the "XP Professional" oil to run in it. Place said that stuff would be good to go, yes? Had to get a separate jug since it's different thatn my Echo string trimmer.

Alright cool, I will have to mess around with it...thank you.

Here's a question: He asked if I wanted the one on display that was already assembled. I said sure. All it came with was the instruction manual and a little tool. There isn't anything else that it was supposed to come with was it? Waist belt and the flat blade attachment are for the 580?

That oil is semi-synthetic and is pretty good stuff but Amsoil Saber is a LOT cheaper to use and buy, and is full synthetic rated to 100:1 mix. Like I said, I run it at 80:1 and do so in everything but my saws. I go through a lot of mix in a season and I couldn't be happier with the performance. It is about the most highly regarded oil by most LCO's.

I received a bottle of oil, and special tool and instructions with my blower when I bought it, and I watched them open my box fresh of the shipping pallet. I put it together right there in the store.

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Ridin': As far as running full throttle for extended periods when new, that's what my dealer tells me for any new handheld and I know I've read it in a number of manuals. He said it has to do with things seating, etc. and not wanting excessive heat while things are settling in. Maybe it doesn't apply to these units? Who needs full throttle on these things anyway, lol.

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Something else to remember-
keep an eye on all the screws on the entire blower, and tighten them as often as needed. They tend to loosen up a bit, and it doesn't take a long time to do it. I don't mean they get sloppy loose, or anything like that, but they do get looser with use and I don't like to have even one go missing, so I keep an eye on them, and check them every fourth or fifth time out.

Ridin' Green
11-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Ridin': As far as running full throttle for extended periods when new, that's what my dealer tells me for any new handheld and I know I've read it in a number of manuals. He said it has to do with things seating, etc. and not wanting excessive heat while things are settling in. Maybe it doesn't apply to these units? Who needs full throttle on these things anyway, lol.

I heard that. I run the thing with the throttle lock set at about 3/4 and use the rest as a booster shot when needed.

Here is a link to what Stihl answered in their FAQ's. I can't seem to find it in the Husky info at the moment-

Q-"My instruction manual says not to run the product at full throttle for the first 2 to 3 tanks of fuel mix. Why is this?"

A- "This can cause internal engine damage. STIHL recommends that you do not run your engine at wide open throttle without a load. A blower is under a load at all times, a trimmer is under a load as long as the trimmer head is in place and the line is to the correct length, while a chain saw is under a load when the bar and chain are in a cut."

It's the first FAQ in this link-

http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/general/

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Yeah the flat tube and waist belt are on the 580. The high velocity flat tube is pretty useless since it torques the tube downward really hard. You shouldn't need one with your unit anyway since it has the tapered end tube which should give you plenty of velocity. The 580 has a different end tube for moving bulky debris better while sacrificing some velocity.

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the tips Darryl. I'll take it easy. Yessir, picked it up after work today. The more I read and researched, the more I was sold on one of these higher grade units.

My wife asked how much it was, I said "4 something", which, without tax, is accurate!:cool2: Then her jaw dropped and I got the "You spent $400 dollars on that thing! Said that it's more cost effective for me to work and make the money to pay for it than I would be for days out there raking. Called me a dork, Ghostbuster, and a few other names, and went about our business. :laugh:

Nice try on the work thing but you took the wrong angle...it's a "quality of life" thing...so you can spend more time with her and the kids. Hey it worked for me when I wanted a $20,000 tractor, lol.

P.S. - And your yard will probably improve now that you can keep it free of debris....seriously.

Will P.C.
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Thank you! I did it about 4 years ago. Product I used is called Wolverine Coatings, purchased through Alpha Garage: http://www.alphagarage.com/ My garage is their thumbnail for Gallery 3. Both the company an the product are phenomenal. 100% solids epoxy.

What kind of epoxy did you use? I can't see this stuff wearing through. IIRC, it has a 5-7 mil primer, ~15 mil color coat, and 5-7 mil top coat.

Thanks for the link, Dave. I used whatever they had at Home Depot which I was not pleased with. My neighbor did his the same time as me and has already re done it twice, but his garage gets 10X more traffic than mine. Same stuff from Home Depot. I also have about 1/4 of the specks as you.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Nice try on the work thing but you took the wrong angle...it's a "quality of life" thing...so you can spend more time with her and the kids. Hey it worked for me when I wanted a $20,000 tractor, lol.

P.S. - And your yard will probably improve now that you can keep it free of debris....seriously.:laugh: I'm glad you mentioned that. I did take that angle too (I took a lot of angles). I threw in the "I know that the yard isn't really important to you, but it's really important to me, and important that our [two] kids have a nice, safe, clean yard to play in outside, so I need to keep it maintained."

This past year I have been finding black widows out the wazoo. My fault because I haven't gotten an exterminator, nor have I been doing a proper job of getting all the areas cleaned up where they can hide out (time thing). This year is going to be different. (I hope)

I hope it improves, I bet you are right. It's in SERIOUS need of a total overhaul, starting with a good flattening (already graded, just needs the ruts gone etc.) I'm hoping this spring I can tackle that.

Just need to get this big honey-do list on the inside of the house done.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the link, Dave. I used whatever they had at Home Depot which I was not pleased with. My neighbor did his the same time as me and has already re done it twice, but his garage gets 10X more traffic than mine. Same stuff from Home Depot. I also have about 1/4 of the specks as you.Yeah I would not use the stuff from Home Depot. IIRC, not 100% solids. What happens when the other junk evaporates, is that tiny minuscule bubbles make their way to the surface while the stuff dries out, and you are left with a less-than-best result. The specks were bought by-the-pound. You can choose whatever color epoxy and specks you want, as well as how much fleck you want, up to fully covered/point of rejection. Then you put the topcoat down over it. Good stuff.

kawasaki guy
11-27-2012, 06:29 AM
don't forget to run 89 octane or higher. and always use 50:1. Great looking machine! But, I have a really powerful Kawasaki for now...

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Nice choice/blower, congrats! You should be very happy with that unit, I mean it is a commercial piece of equipment. I would have done the same thing. The wife will always try to low ball the amount of money she says she wont complain about you spending on the piece of equipment. Then you can either try to convince her that if you cant get what you really need/want then its practically not worth buying anything OR go the route you went and I like to take (after many attempts to get her to "understand" why I need the pro model!). Hows that saying go..."its better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission..."?

BTW, did you even check out craigslist?

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Yep, I did check out Craigslist too, didn't find anything that was a great deal or anything, at least that I thought of.

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Have you had the chance to blast the leaves in your yard to the next dimension yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Not yet. :( By the time I got my older one in bed it was almost 9 PM. Raining today, so I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.

I'm at work now, daydreaming of blasting away leaves.

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Rain is no problem with a blower like that...seriously. When it's wet/raining is when I tend to do my own leaves. But that's with the 580, not that dinky little 570 you have. :laugh::walking:

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Ummmm. sounds like the PERFECT time to do a test blast!

When I finally got home from picking up my Honda HRX217HXA, which was about a 14 hour round trip it was too late to mow. But I sure as hell sharpened the (you know what) out of the blades, changed all the fluids, adjusted the cables and shined her up. It rained from about 6pm that night till 7am the next day, I think we got 2"-3" so needless to say in the morning the (it was still drizzling) the yard was pretty much a soggy marsh. IMO, that was the best time to put the HRX through its paces. Nothing like 12" tall, wet super healthy bluegrass/fescue to test the new old girl out. It was glorious!

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Darryl is just mean. He was raised by wolves when he was little (really pissy wolves).

At least your little 570 will scour the ground when the leaves are wet without leaving most of them left behind like the huge 580 does. :laugh:

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I also believe the 570 has roughly a 30mph wind speed advantage over the 580 which is exactky what the Dr ordered for wet leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 11:18 AM
...and so it begins.:laugh:

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah Ridin' you're just jealous that I have a longer tube than you do. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well...better get something done here. It's a rain day but no shortage of stuff I should be doing. Got no lights at all on my landscape trailer.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I use mine to scour all the gravel/dirt the county plows blast into my yards in the spring. It does it with ease. It'll move some pretty large branches around too, especially if they have leaves on them to catch the wind. Be careful around siding etc, 'cause it can tear it loose/off if you're not careful, and will lift and move large pieces of asphalt if your driveway is paved and has any loose pieces in it.

I also have used my blowers for years now to dry my vehicles and machines off after washing them.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah Ridin' you're just jealous that I have a longer tube than you do. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

See what I'm talking about? Mean, just plain mean.

Darryl, that's really hitting below the belt....... literally:laugh::laugh:

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Is the higher cfm just better for blowing dry stuff and the lower cfm but higher wind exit speed more suited for "scouring" wet debris from a surface?

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Is the higher cfm just better for blowing dry stuff and the lower cfm but higher wind exit speed more suited for "scouring" wet debris from a surface?

Yes and you can alter them a bit by adding/subtracting tube lengths and using different tips.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Many guys in the will say that CFM is everything, but that's not totally correct.

CFM is what moves large piles of debris and keeps it moving, but MPH is what gets it started so the CFM can take over. High MPH does a lot more for scouring up stuck down debris than CFM, and it also makes moving lighter debris easier because CFM needs some mass to actually work against. Having a machine with high numbers in both areas is the best of both worlds and something that all the top tier blowers have. It's just that some have it more than others.

High CFM is better for moving wet debris than high MPH.

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
So one might say that MPH is like HP and CFM like TQ perhaps.

Not to derail the thread but on my ECHO PB-300e it had the OE flex tube coming from the fan and the next tube (whatever that's called, the extension tube #1 maybe...) and im thinking about ordering extension tube #2 and the curved end piece that is the last one on the tube configuration. This would be a wise move, correct? It just seems like now I have plenty of CFM but the MPH is lacking, no focus of the air really.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Yes, that is the exact anology I was going to use, but was too lazy to type.

If you have a curved tip on your blower, you'll experience more back thrust than you will with a straight tip. However, having the curved tip helps when the tip is close to the ground and you're trying to move leaves forward. It tends to make the airflow get under and lift the leaves where the CFM can make them move forwards more readily.

Having another center tube section will get the tip down closer to the ground, which concentrates the airflow closer to the ground and leaves the impression that you have more MPH than you really do. The only true way to gain CFM or MPH is with more power, or a better fan design on the same HP engine. Still, you can maniplulate the CFM/MPH to some degree by either narrowing the nozzle opening which gives higher MPH but reduces CFM, or by opening the nozzle diameter at the tip to increase CFM but decrease MPH.

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Yes, that is the exact anology I was going to use, but was too lazy to type.

If you have a curved tip on your blower, you'll experience more back thrust than you will with a straight tip. However, having the curved tip helps when the tip is close to the ground and you're trying to move leaves forward. It tends to make the airflow get under and lift the leaves where the CFM can make them move forwards more readily.

Having another center tube section will get the tip down closer to the ground, which concentrates the airflow closer to the ground and leaves the impression that you have more MPH than you really do. The only true way to gain CFM or MPH is with more power, or a better fan design on the same HP engine. Still, you can maniplulate the CFM/MPH to some degree by either narrowing the nozzle opening which gives higher MPH but reduces CFM, or by opening the nozzle diameter at the tip to increase CFM but decrease MPH.

You typed exactly what I was going to say about decreasing the nozzle size. I do this in my aquariums on the filter outlets. You reduce the outlet which increases pressure giving you more water movement but of course with no increase in actual flow, and in reality probably lowering it a tad.

For ~$20 shipped what can I loose?!

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 12:42 PM
You typed exactly what I was going to say about decreasing the nozzle size. I do this in my aquariums on the filter outlets. You reduce the outlet which increases pressure giving you more water movement but of course with no increase in actual flow, and in reality probably lowering it a tad.

For ~$20 shipped what can I loose?!

You won't lose anything just by adding the extra tube, and you may notice a real gain in performance simply because the airflow will now be closer to the ground. My wife likes to use my old BR320 Stihl, since it is so light, and I have several extra sections that I can install or remove as needed depending on if she is running it or I am. One is an old curved tip that someone molested and was useless, so I cut it off about 4-5 inches in front of the grooves molded in to it where it attaches to the next section up. It lowered the tip closer to the ground just enough to see a real gain in scouring and ability to then get that debris moving.

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Maybe I should just scrounge around pop's garage and see what shop vac tubes I can find laying around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Maybe I should just scrounge around pop's garage and see what shop vac tubes I can find laying around.
Posted via Mobile DeviceMy old "blower" is the "6.5HP 200 MPH" motor off my Craftsman shop vac that pops off the rest of the assembly, that insert the 4' of tubing into.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
My old "blower" is the "6.5HP 200 MPH" motor off my Craftsman shop vac that pops off the rest of the assembly, that insert the 4' of tubing into.

I have one of those too and believe me, there's nooooo comparison with any mid range and above BP blower.:nono:

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh I can imagine. I'm sure I'll be blown away by how much better this performs. :hammerhead:

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
If your shop vac blower is like mine, the only way it gets to the 200 MPH rating (if it even does then) is by using that really narrowed down tip, which has virtualy no CFM because it is so small.

You will flat out love the 570. The chest strap is one of the best features on it IMO. It makes it so nice for bending down to pick up stuff. It keeps the blower locked in place, and because it helps distribute the weight across your chest as well as your shoulders and back, hips etc., it actually makes it feel lighter than my BR600, especially if I use them for more than 15 minutes.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Most likely! The stupid thing is, is that I can't attach that little narrow piece onto the blower tube, because the narrow end of the blower tube goes into the motor, leaving both the attachment and the tube with the wide ends together. I never found an adapter to connect them together.

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Well now that you've got a backpack blower to get the tight areas you know that you're going to need a ground blower as well, right? Something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOE3yHbyA8

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7tUQIM3M

And don't let the wife get in your way!!!!

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Most likely! The stupid thing is, is that I can't attach that little narrow piece onto the blower tube, because the narrow end of the blower tube goes into the motor, leaving both the attachment and the tube with the wide ends together. I never found an adapter to connect them together.

Mine came with a double tapered adapter that is about 5" long that allows you to attach that narrow nozzle to the main tube(s). Sears should be able to order you one with no problem, or maybe you can even do it at their online store.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Well now that you've got a backpack blower to get the tight areas you know that you're going to need a ground blower as well, right? Something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOE3yHbyA8

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7tUQIM3M

And don't let the wife get in your way!!!!

Or if you really want to do it right, you can go with this-
http://www.everythingattachments.com/Implement-Video-Demonstrations-s/2999.htm

and best of all, this :weightlifter::weightlifter:-

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Implement-Video-Demonstrations-s/2999.htm

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Jeez, ride-on? I'll be impressed when I see them ghost-ride that whip!

Maybe after blowing tonight, I'll tell her this one just ain't cutting it, and send her the link to that thing.:laugh:

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
That link just sends us to the thumbnails. I thought about getting a PTO-driven blower, which is what I'm assuming you were trying to link to, but I would only be able to use it on my property and only a portion of it. I don't have any customer cleanups big enough to justify hauling my tractor out to and my personal golf course is still in planning stages. ;)

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Yea, the link didn't take you to the specific video now that they have them on youtube as well, but that entire page is all video thumbnails. You just have to scroll down to the rider and 3 pt blowers.

Here ya go-

Rider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SuJwVzwYTfU

3 pt pto-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJyImk89q50&feature=player_embedded

I think you're gonna need help building and playing on that course.:D

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Worst theme music in all of recorded history. I almost dropped my phone in the urinal when "chug-a-lug-a-lug at 5 miles an hour" came over the speaker. Nice find!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Worst theme music in all of recorded history. I almost dropped my phone in the urinal when "chug-a-lug-a-lug at 5 miles an hour" came over the speaker. Nice find!
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL
Not quite the worst. It could have been rap music:eek: (there's an oxymoron if ever there was one).:rolleyes::dizzy::hammerhead:

You're spendin' waaay too much time with your phone in your hand if you can't put it down long enough to take a leak.:laugh:

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I couldn't agree more! I do Internet sales at a KIA dealership here in STL so I have to be able to access my customers pretty much all the time. It's great but it certainly is nice to unplug in the evening.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Well.. Since we're recommending wheeled blowers... I've yet to see a dedicated blower that is badder than this one. It'll do the entire neighborhood in about 60 seconds.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=255742&stc=1&d=1346012596

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Well.. Since we're recommending wheeled blowers... I've yet to see a dedicated blower that is badder than this one. It'll do the entire neighborhood in about 60 seconds.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=255742&stc=1&d=1346012596

Now, does that one actually blow the leaves, or does it just incinerate them?

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I want this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBgHiGDvAE

Love how he blows out the culvert.

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I want this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBgHiGDvAE

Love how he blows out the culvert.

Now that one is just cool.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me4ugyR7vu1riqizno1_400.gif

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey, your 100th post.:cool2:

When guys start talking about new toys, the talk soon turns to things we'd all like, but few of us can afford. LOL

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 08:19 PM
"Brick killed a guy with a trident".
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
100 posts...look at me go. Now if I could quit jawjacking and get going on my yard, we'd get somewhere. About to head outside and start picking up the heavy crap and trash. Maybe tomorrow I can get to blowing.

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
You still haven't blasted anything yet with the new 570? Have you started it up maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 09:05 PM
I don't think Dave gets it...there's no need to pick up the heavy crap.....lol

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Just hit it with the force!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
My friend is looking at the cordless electric models so he doesn't have to pull an extension cord around.

http://i.imgur.com/AE9CM.jpg

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Nope not yet! Got covered in paperwork tonight, then had to replace lights outside so out came the ladder after I dug it out. Never ends. I meant like I have chunks of 4x4 and 2x4 laying around from a fence project, and some bricks, and big branches that fell out of trees. Maybe I still don't get it...haha.

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 09:55 PM
It will move that wood but not the brush...little bit too big.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
It will move that wood but not the brush...little bit too big.The electric? That's my buddy's yard.

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Oh, ok. But your blower can move 2 x 4s, 4 x 4s, bricks and some branches depending on size and how they're laying. If there are a lot of sticks/branches down I will often leave them down and blow the leaves and any sticks/brush that move easily and leave the rest and then go back and pick it up. I recommend you have some fun pushing stuff around...it's kinda fun, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxwaIoSuhg&feature=youtu.be

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:13 PM
I've moved a 20lb chunk of concrete (weighed it) with mine on the rough dirt at my own place. I'm not gonna tell you that you can clear an entire lot off with that type of crap laying around, but you'll be impressed with what you can actually move with it.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Holy crap. What did I get myself into.

Brules
11-27-2012, 11:34 PM
I have to be careful with my 570 - it will tear up my asphalt driveway at full throttle!!!!! Chunks go flying!

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Holy crap.

If I can get the time tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a short video of it doing that to the chunk I mentioned. We're supposed to have some weather moving through and I have a few others things to get done around here, but I'll do it if I can. It'll move it on pavement pretty readily.

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Maybe we could all get together for a cookout and some backpack blower basketball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oovm_FtUE6k&feature=youtu.be

Ridin' Green
11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Either that or blower volley ball LOL

Darryl G
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
So you fire that thing up yet Dave? What do you think? If you haven't fired it up yet you can probably still trade it in for the 580. Your wife won't notice the difference, lol.

Dave88LX
11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Dude! Oh. My. God. This thing is friggen' AWESOME! I don't know how I got away without one for so long. I'm never raking again! Had my front yard done in about an hour. Blew it all into a huge pile. I guess I'll blow it all through the gate and try to get it across my driveway and into the woods. Still need to work on my technique and all that to be more efficient. But, damn. I'm in love. Thanks for talking me into it!!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LQYmgTWjcmE/ULgjOTE4J5I/AAAAAAAABHE/4TI4wCoLXdI/s1280/DSCN0945.JPG

Ridin' Green
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM
I told you that you'd like it.:clapping:

It's all you'll ever need. Just set the throttle lock at the 3/4 position and use the trigger to run it up to top end for a booster blast when/where needed.

It'll get even more impressive once it gets good and broken in.:)

Dave88LX
11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I've tried to keep it at 3/4 throttle and under...I thought I recalled reading not to run it full tilt until a few tanks of gas have gone through it. Really dig the throttle lock too. Also glad I have some earmuffs! They were my shooting muffs, but, work fine for this too.

Ridin' Green
11-29-2012, 10:53 PM
I've tried to keep it at 3/4 throttle and under...I thought I recalled reading not to run it full tilt until a few tanks of gas have gone through it. Really dig the throttle lock too. Also glad I have some earmuffs! They were my shooting muffs, but, work fine for this too.

That's all the other muffs really are. Lets face it- shooting mufs have to protect your ears a lot better than muffs made solely for mowing.

It won't hurt anything to run at WOT right now. Take a look at the link to Stihl's site I posted above somewhere here.(It might have been in another thread. I can't recall, so here it is)
http://www.stihlusa.com/faq/general/

This is the direct wording of the FAQ I am refering to-

Q-My instruction manual says not to run the product at full throttle for the first 2 to 3 tanks of fuel mix. Why is this?

A-This can cause internal engine damage. STIHL recommends that you do not run your engine at wide open throttle without a load. A blower is under a load at all times, a trimmer is under a load as long as the trimmer head is in place and the line is to the correct length, while a chain saw is under a load when the bar and chain are in a cut.

-

Even so, no harm being careful. Just make sure you keep running the rpm's up and down while it is breaking in, and not just running at one constant speed. That is a definite no-no during break-in.

I use mine to blow piles that are approximately 3 times the size of that one in your picture several times each fall off just my back yard alone. I love this blower.:dancing::clapping::drinkup:

Dave88LX
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the link. Yeah, just rather be cautious I guess. Sounds like a flat-tappet cam break-in. Sitting there for 20-30 minutes varying the RPM to break in the cam/lifters...all the while worrying if I'm screwing up my crosshatch by not having a load to force the rings out into the crosshatch.

What's the best method to move a huge pile like this?

I just saw on Amazon they have hearing protection with MP3 hookup. Definitely going to get a pair of those.

Ridin' Green
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
It may sound counter intuitive, but I move the largest piles by standing near the pile's edge closest to me, then blowing the back part of the pile farther back, then steadily working the air stream back towards me. I also sometimes make a "cut" in the middle of the pile all the way to the ground to get the leaves moving towards where I want them to go, then I use the "walls" of that cut to guide more and more leaves back through the cut and on out to where I'm heading them (I hope that makes sense to you) .That way you aren't trying to move everything all at once, and the air stream can work the pile more efficiently. Also, it is helpful sometimes to kinda move the nozzle in a circular motion while blowing against the pile, which helps whip the leaves up and loosen them from each other so that they are more fluffy (for lack of a better term) and move more easily.

You can also just keep working the top of the pile back and off the top and behind the pile then blow the bottom of the pile up onto the leaves you just blew off the top. It's sorta like rolling the pile.

Darryl G
11-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Glad you like it. Did you "play" with moving larger debris with it? It's kind of fun to watch a brick tumbling at 200 mph, lol.

I don't tend to move things as piles so much as a front. It depends on the situation though. I will often just stand in one spot and swing a slow arc with my arm to skim the loose leaves off the top and blow them forward. Some people wave the wand so damn much that they never give the air a chance to work (that works well for beds when you don't wanna blast the mulch out). I will move the pile by shaving off the top and front and move it ahead a bit and then scour the turf up to it...basically remove most of the loose leaves on top to reveal the stuck stuff. Sweep and scour, sweep and scour...that's when there's a substantial amount of leaves. One thing I try to do is to never have my blower running and not actually using it...so if I just blew my pile forward and I walking backward to get to my "scour line" I'm blowing the whole time I'm stepping back. Think of those CFMs and precious and not to be wasted.

I think what 'Ridin was talking about was moving leaves through a slot, almost like making a funnel for them...kind of like a stream with the piles on the side being the banks. You can make them shoot pretty far that way, especially if you've got the wind working with you.

And as far as moving leave into the wind...you can...just throttle down a bit and think of it like sailing...you kind of tack them forward....don't try to blow them directly into the wind.

Another tip is when you're trying to get things away from an object like the front of the garage door is to aim the air stream at the door above the ground and it will bounce off and carry the leaves with it...a little like playing pool. You can use the venturi effect a little bit too to pull leaves out of areas, although it will only work for leaves in very close proximity to the air stream.

Darryl G
11-30-2012, 08:57 AM
P.S. - A word of caution. Be careful if you're working in beds near the house. You can melt vinyl siding and blister paint if you have the exhaust blowing against the wall....yes I know that from experience...what's that smell?

Dave88LX
11-30-2012, 01:32 PM
All makes sense! I was doing a bit of all of that yesterday (whether on accident or on purpose). I haven't discovered yet if it's easier/efficient to blow things to a central spot like a seashell shape, or if I should try to blow everything across a straight line to the other end of the yard, then consolidate that big row. I need to get that pile through my 4' gate and across the driveway into the woods next.

Ridin' Green
11-30-2012, 02:31 PM
All makes sense! I was doing a bit of all of that yesterday (whether on accident or on purpose). I haven't discovered yet if it's easier/efficient to blow things to a central spot like a seashell shape, or if I should try to blow everything across a straight line to the other end of the yard, then consolidate that big row. I need to get that pile through my 4' gate and across the driveway into the woods next.

What you're trying to do is what I almost always do (as long as the wind isn't fighting me)- get them to the far end and then out through a gate 9though mine is about 66" wide). I usually move them down the length of the yard in a windrow the width of the yard. That serves to make it easier to move an enormous amount while doing so at a fast pace as opposed to trying to move a deep, large pile. The at the back end of the property I (we) head them into a large pile where I use the "cut" method to make the channel through the center of the pile. That does just what Darryl said- it makes the airstream flowing through it move even faster (sort of a jet effect), and it keeps them from blowing back in an outward direction which will cause you to have to keep rounding them all back up. I just keep shaving each side of the tunnel/cut until it is maybe 5-8" wide, then blow both walls back into the center to make one long, large pile and make a cut again. I make that long large pile running perpendicular to the gate BTW. No sense in having it running well beyond either side of the gate where you can't really do anything with the leaves out on either side of the gate.

Darryl G
11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
A wheel blower work great for pitching leaves through a gate....leave it stationary and feed it with the backpack.

Ridin' Green
11-30-2012, 06:10 PM
If his wife wasn't happy with him buying this blower, I doubt she'd be too happy with him buying a wheeled blower.:laugh:

Dave88LX
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Got the second pile blown today after work. Damn I love this thing. This was blowing it through 8-10" tall "grass". Thing is amazing. Too dark to get a good picture, but, that's a lot of leaves. It won't get to this point next year.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EovOnDeIask/UL68-SvwNgI/AAAAAAAABIA/rJQLDBNJ4zc/s1280/20121204_201550.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-OQgyRByL8ow/UL68-ZzmwNI/AAAAAAAABH8/_v7Y7Sgon2s/s1280/20121204_201647.jpg

Richard Martin
12-05-2012, 02:11 AM
Do you not own a lawn mower either?

Darryl G
12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah I'm sure we can recommend a nice mower for you too, lol.

Dave88LX
12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Or a lawn even! Work project in progress. Hopefully this year my schedule will let me fix everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave88LX
12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Lol Darryl, I have the Toro Super Recycler 4. I do need to sharpen the blade though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nutsedge
12-05-2012, 10:41 AM
If you dump the Toro, I highly recommend the Honda HRx line. The HRX217HYA to be exact. I have the older version (HRX217HXA) and its a bad mofo.

But to stay on topic... Great job blowing those leaves buddy!

Dave88LX
12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Nah! I just got the Toro a couple years ago!
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274572&highlight=toro

Your guys' recommendation...it should/better last!

See a common theme...Want a $200-$300 mower, I end up with a $530 mower.

Darryl G
12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
That mower is junk...you need one of these babies...lasers to cut the grass. I'll have a chat with the wife on your behalf if you'd like.

http://grounds-mag.com/news/grounds_maintenance_youve_seen_mower/

Dave88LX
12-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Jeeeeez man. That's wild.

I don't mind if it takes me a while. Gets me out of the house. ;)

Ridin' Green
12-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't mind if it takes me a while. Gets me out of the house. ;)

If that's the case, then scrap the mower and use a pair of old scissors.:D

Nutsedge
12-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Well although I believe the Honda would give you a better cut, easier starting and a few other benefits the drive system seems to be pretty fruit compared to the hydrostatic cruse control my HRX has.

I actually found mine on Craigslist when it was four years old. An old woman purchased it new for ~$700, used it for two years then had back surgery and after that it sat in the shed. Every season (even the last two when it was used very rarely) she took it to the dealer and had it serviced/tuned up. She was in Indiana and I live in Missouri so it was about a 13 hour round trip to get it but my father went with me and it was a really fun little day trip and I ended up getting it for $220!!!

kawasaki guy
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
it seems that you like your new toy hahaha