PDA

View Full Version : Need a new trimmer

goldrush36
11-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey all I was looking to get a new string trimmer and have come up at a stalemate. I own 2 properties and also help out my wife's grandparents with their home. My property is real lightweight, the Grandparents home gets up there in growth and the 3rd home gets the least frequent attention. I want to keep the budget around $300 or less. So far I have come down to the Echo SRM 230 ($260), Husqvarna 223l ($225), and the Stihl FS70 ($300) or FS90 ($320). My last trimmer was a mac and it was god awful to start and had little power. I have a echo SRM210 in the garage but it is missing the guard, and the cover, trigger, and safety is all busted up as well as I believe it was run extensively without oil (Supposed professional with a drug problem) and it has a lot of shake in it when throttled so I would rather not take my chances with parts and repairs. I would estimate that I would use it about 8-10 times a month, but our "weekend" home takes a few hours of trimming each time. The Grandparents' home is another hour as well so I don't want a POS like the MAC. I have found a few others around the web but always end up being limited by the CA thing.. I have friends in the box stores which is why the price reflects so but I really hate to give either ****** company my money. I worked for both so I know lol. The Stihl I am just going off the MSRP of my local dealer I get linked to from the site as I haven't had time to get over there in person so I don't know if those prices are set in stone... Any help would be appreciated

Brules
11-19-2012, 02:39 AM
I have an Echo SRM 225 that is awesome - I wouldnt hesitate on the Husq 223 either. Both are tremendous 2 strokes that will run forever.

ringahding
11-19-2012, 07:52 AM
I have an Echo SRM 225 that is awesome - I wouldnt hesitate on the Husq 223 either. Both are tremendous 2 strokes that will run forever.

Echo SRM 225 is all we use...make sure to follow manual for proper fuel. We use 91 in all of our echo equipment...

jackal
11-19-2012, 08:03 AM
The new Stihl 4-mix are way to heavy and don't like ethanol.

Sorry I bought it.

Next one is gonna be a kawasaki. I heard good things on here about them.

dstifel
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Have echos and love them

Dave88LX
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Another Echo SRM-225 homeowner user.

Nutsedge
11-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Well 2 strokes are always going to be lighter implements. But I posted a thread not too long ago about the Honda four cycle and its Husky twin. The reason I am intrigued with the Honda/Husky is because I have used a Honda mower for many years (and will likely only use a Honda Mower) and the ease of starting plus the overall refinement is just unbearable. Sounds like you'd be doing much more trimming than me (30-45 min 4-5 a month) so the extra lb or two might be a bit of a disadvantage. Four stroke engines are just much more efficient machines. They operate at lower RPM's so there is less wear and tear. This lower RPM range also generates less heat again adding to the longevity of the machine. Four strokes have superior lubrication/oiling systems. These consist of a sump that holds oil that is much more efficiently dispersed to the inner workings of the engine. This also lends itself to more reliable and durable operation of the equipment. They use less fuel than their two stroke counterparts and have much more torque, which is whats needed when clearing stubborn foliage. And if you want to go even further, the Honda four cycle motors are all CARB certified even in CA as the more efficient combustion cycle creates much less emissions.

So hopefully I have given you something's to think about.
Posted via Mobile Device

kawasaki guy
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I have a KM90 STIHL with a trimmer attachment (same thing as a FS90 but can change head) and I love it. It is a little heavier, but all of the extra power makes up for it. I posted a review in the pro mowing section if you want to look at it. :)

goldrush36
11-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the input guys.. ended up going with the echo srm230. Mostly for the grip comfort

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
So how much more awesome does your SRM feel in comparison to you old unit?

Capemay Eagle
11-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a SRM-210 and I have had it for 5 years and it has never quit! I believe the equivalent now is the SRM-225. However, I myself am getting ready to get a new trimmer and I am going to get the Stihl FS90. I thought about the Echo SRM-225 since the Echo has been so good, but I would like to give the Stihl a whirl this time considering how much I love my BR600 mag. The wife asked what I wanted for Xmas and this is what I want. She is getting off easier than I am :cry:

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Hmmmm, don't give up on ECHO. Sounds like they have done you well. I would have to say that of all the manufacturers out there, stihl and ECHO have been around the longest producing quality equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brules
11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
I went with a 2 stroke as they have better low end. This guy's video explains why and shows why....even though he is a bit wordy, he has a very good point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noG46RzMikE

The 4 stroke/4mix units have a gutless low/med end to them.

Nutsedge
11-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I went with a 2 stroke as they have better low end. This guy's video explains why and shows why....even though he is a bit wordy, he has a very good point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noG46RzMikE

The 4 stroke/4mix units have a gutless low/med end to them.

I cant entirely agree with your statement or the Stihl nut in the youtube video. He's not telling the entire story. They fs250r may produce more TQ than the 4-mix it's compared against in this video but that is the PEAK TQ which really means nothing other than, you have to have it wide open to cut stuff down like a savage. The fs250 also has a 40.2cc engine while the fs130 has a smaller 36.3cc motor. When talking TQ, size matter. I really am not versed in the Stihl 4-mix products but saying that a 4 stroke is gutless and has no low/mid range TQ is completely contradictory to the TQ curve 4 cycle combustion creates, which is much flatter (this means that the TQ is actually useable throughout the rev range and not only at the upper end with it wide open) curve and also larger amounts available in the low/mid RPM range.

I dont want to start an argument but I will happily participate in a conversation of opposing views as long as facts are represented and things stay cordial.

Dave88LX
11-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I dont want to start an argument but I will happily participate in a conversation of opposing views as long as facts are represented and things stay cordial.This is the internet. How long until we start posting offensive pictures at each other?

Nutsedge
11-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Anytime now.
Posted via Mobile Device

goldrush36
11-28-2012, 01:57 AM
So how much more awesome does your SRM feel in comparison to you old unit?

To the mac? Like a gt500 to a smart car... against the beat up srm210 it still feels quite substantial but that could be due to the condition of it to begin with

rbljack
11-28-2012, 05:22 AM
I cant entirely agree with your statement or the Stihl nut in the youtube video. He's not telling the entire story. They fs250r may produce more TQ than the 4-mix it's compared against in this video but that is the PEAK TQ which really means nothing other than, you have to have it wide open to cut stuff down like a savage. The fs250 also has a 40.2cc engine while the fs130 has a smaller 36.3cc motor. When talking TQ, size matter. I really am not versed in the Stihl 4-mix products but saying that a 4 stroke is gutless and has no low/mid range TQ is completely contradictory to the TQ curve 4 cycle combustion creates, which is much flatter (this means that the TQ is actually useable throughout the rev range and not only at the upper end with it wide open) curve and also larger amounts available in the low/mid RPM range.

I dont want to start an argument but I will happily participate in a conversation of opposing views as long as facts are represented and things stay cordial.

LOL..how is this. I have one of each, the FS90R and the FS250. They both have plenty of power, but do operate in different RPM ranges for sure. The FS90 is much more efficient on fuel, and unlike others I havent run into the "all or nothing" trigger issue that some have complained about. The FS 90 is bit lighter than the 250, and has the ability to run additional attachments. The FS250 is limited to only a tiller attachment or use as a string trimmer, however if you prefer the two stroke feel in a trimmer, the 250 wont let you down. Plenty of power, and very quick response. Although a bit heavy, not overly bearing (a matter of opinion though...so each person much see for themselves). The 250 goes through fuel much quicker as well. This is also in part to the fact that I believe its designed to run in a much higher RPM range.

When I purchased the FS90R, I bought it used because it wasnt running properly. I did have to buy a new carb for it, and since then its worked fine. Based on that, its entirely possible that it is in fact sensitve to ethanol fuel. For the "occasional" user, that can easily be overcome by purchasing the stihl pre mixed gas. its not cheap, but its hi grade, no ethanol fuel that is premixed with their syn two stoke oil. Or just be sure your getting non ethanal fuel if you can find it, and mix your own.

I dont think you can go wrong with either unit, just depends on what your preferences are. There you go, a cordial response with a few facts along the way. Of the two units, I like them both. I have winterized my FS90 at this point, and am continuing to use my FS250 for the end of season work, but that wasnt because one is better than the other. Its only because the FS90 has the crappy version gas cap, and it broke two weeks ago...LOL. So if you buy a used one, I say get the one with the newest version screw on cap, and stay away from the lift and turn version. For the record: my son broke it, and probably didnt understand how it was supposed to be secured. So operator error may have been part of the reason it broke.

One last note about the four mix engine over the two stroke, they run a bit quieter too. Im fairly new to the Stihl game, but those are my findings so far.