PDA

View Full Version : Torsion axles on open trailers?

4 seasons lawn&land
11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I searched several torsion axle posts on here. Alot of them seem to be related to enclosed trailers. How do these do on open trailers? Im getting another Cam Superline for my landscape trailer next year and this is one of the options.

knox gsl
11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I haven't seen one on a landscape trailer but have seen them on some open toy haulers (car trailers) I would prefer it if I had a bigger truck, a 1/2 doesn't seem to keep a consistent ball height.

rob7233
11-20-2012, 10:58 PM
I have a custom built open trailer with torsion drop axles. In my book there are lots of benefits. NO LINKAGE or Bushings to service EVER. Axles are dual 5200lbs with 15' wheels/radials with brakes at each end. Each wheel acts independently. Dropped the trailer as close to the ground as practical to reduce gate angle when loading/unloading mowers & equipment. Also no angle iron - all square tubing. I don't see any issues/cons. Save $ over the life of the trailer..

LindblomRJ
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
If it is an option, take it. No parts to really wear out, (bushings, springs, hardware) all in all a winning investment.

rob7233
11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Kind of an obvious no brainer, isn't it?

Just pay a little more now or pay a lot more later.

C Jovingo Landscaping
11-21-2012, 08:02 PM
When you blow a tire with torsion, you don't have suspension parts dragging on the road til you get to the side. Torsion you can actually drive to safe area like parking lot or next exit off Interstate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn Pawn
11-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Does the rubber ever rot... get brittle.... go bad?
They do have rubber correct?

I have always jacked mine up by the frame, tires off the ground for the Winter. Just to be safer I figured. Winter can be five months here.

woodlanda
11-29-2012, 01:23 AM
my dump trailer has 2 7000 lb torsion bars for suspension, the trailer rides smooth even when empty and rides low to the ground making it easy to load and unload, the bars tension up when loaded making them ride smooth, there is really no maintenance required compared to other suspension assemblies, you would really have to overload them to break them torsion bars are square tubes packed with flexible rubber,