PDA

View Full Version : I Need My Leaves Done by Thanksgiving

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 01:07 AM
A lady calls today at around 4:00 and left a message...so that's late on Monday and she wants a cleanup done by Thursday, Thanksgiving. So that gives me 2 days to get it done...like there's a landscaper around here that after a hurricane causing a massive leaf/stick drop isn't already booked out 2 days or more???

In this case, they have a landscaper but he hasn't shown up for their cleanup yet and they called and he didn't call back. I'm always leary of those...what happens when I'm in progress on the job and he shows up? Anyway, not gonna happen...I'm not bumping my regular customers for one timers, even if they were referred by a regular customer. She was kind of weird on the phone too, refused to give her last name and I had to coax her address out of her. So ok...you won't tell me who you are or where you live and you want your cleanup done within 2 days....I just don't know...................... :dizzy:

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Funny thing about this I had about dozen clean ups and gutter cleanings to do after thanksgiving. Then it got cold fast and now its I want it done before thanksgiving. I have friends and family coming over.... Well they werent coming in the first place? I hate how people want to wait till the last leaf falls but then something comes up and its a emergency.

Duekster
11-20-2012, 06:38 AM
These are likely the same people that asked you to stop mowing a month early?

herler
11-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Oh, the last lawn guy hasn't showed up?
That to me is a BIG red flag.

I never thought of the what if he shows up while I'm there but that's a good one too because I've been doing this a long time and I get really tired of that happening to me, mostly because it's happened a lot over the years and please don't tell me I didn't show up on time either, no.

It's got to where anymore I have that attitude just like Jiffy Lube if I take my car to change the oil and filter and they do it, I then drive my car literally across the street to Grease Monkey and tell them to change the oil and filter, guess what?
They're going to change it, and charge me for it, too!

And that's how I look at things, when I get there the work's already done, oh well maybe they want it done twice, and they never called to cancel so I do it and leave a bill... And it can be trouble come time to get paid but I'm ready for that, too!

It is the customer's responsibility to CALL and CANCEL services with the other Lco!
Yes even IF they just quit showing up, the customer still needs to CALL and CANCEL!
More than a few of them don't seem to get that, and nevermind the guy showing up while I'm there.
I don't want to drive all the way out just to see the work's already done!

One other thing...
Customers like that (where the last guy quit showing up), not all of them, but certainly some I end up finding out WHY the last guy quit.

jrs.landscaping
11-20-2012, 06:57 AM
If their other guy "quit" and they need it done ASAP, that's a problem, if they're dictating your schedule and they aren't even a regular. I'd pass, sounds like a nightmare in the making.

Duekster
11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
I too am particularly curious as to why they quit showing. Around here is is often in the heat of summer. Many times it is the LCO and not the client but other times it is clearly the client. However, sometimes a client learned something too.

Most people are honest they just do not understand the nature of the business. There are scammers and they get me less and less as time goes by.

Duekster
11-20-2012, 07:03 AM
If their other guy "quit" and they need it done ASAP, that's a problem, if they're dictating your schedule and they aren't even a regular. I'd pass, sounds like a nightmare in the making.

I agree with this 100%. If I have the time then I would check into gaining a client, If I do not have time then I would go meet with them face to face and try to reason with them that you are booked but would love their business but you have commitments.

ringahding
11-20-2012, 08:22 AM
We have twice as many clean ups as last year or any year. The calls would not stop, but we stopped taking calls 3 weeks ago anyway.

We show up at two clean up jobs on our schedule and they are already finished. "Are you coming"? or "Do you still have us on the list"? No call, nothing.

About a week or so ago, we had light flurries and people were panicking, so I suppose I do not blame them. But I think about all those calls we did not answer now, since the weather here is sooooooo dry. Over 100 clean ups complete, five togo.

Bottom line is we(LCO's)are just a number!

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Yup, I have 2 accounts right now that I stopped showing up on....outstanding balances. So yeah, any time a customer tells me that their guy stopped showing up I can't help but wonder why.

She said she had them mow over the summer too and she wasn't very happy with them and will be looking for someone different in the spring...summer....what about fall? It probably hasn't been serviced in some time. I've had customers try to lure me into doing something for them with the promise of all sorts of other work and it rarely happens. I'm not sure I'd even want the mowing account next season...kind of off the beaten path/out of my way.

I could probably squeeze them if I could get my son to help me or do it himself. He's home from college for the holiday but hasn't shown much interest in doing anything before mid afternoon, lol. The only thing that makes me even consider trying to accomodate this potential customer is that it's a referral from a high end customer.

Jimslawncareservice
11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Wow I can hardly believe you a bizarre call. How weird is that? Did you alert the press? Has jay leno called you yet for an interview? Maybe you can get a reality show because of the drama.

I just don't see what the big deal is. Weird call and tour busy. All you had to say was your booked and move on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Wow I can hardly believe you a bizarre call. How weird is that? Did you alert the press? Has jay leno called you yet for an interview? Maybe you can get a reality show because of the drama.

I just don't see what the big deal is. Weird call and tour busy. All you had to say was your booked and move on.
Posted via Mobile Device

No I have not alerted the press. I'm not sure they'd be interested in the story. Jay Leno has not called either....I don't see how he would be aware of this. Hmmmm...reality show....that could be fun. Do you have any contacts so I can follow up on these great ideas?

This is a referral from a good high-end customer, that's why I will see what I can do to help them out. I'll be within a couple miles of their house in a few minutes when I go do a bank run so I'll probably drop in and take a look. I'm always busy, but I always have time to consider opportunities. Maybe they're in enough need to get this done before their guests arrive on Thursday that they're willing to pay a priority service surcharge?

Jimslawncareservice
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
No I have not alerted the press. I'm not sure they'd be interested in the story. Jay Leno has not called either....I don't see how he would be aware of this. Hmmmm...reality show....that could be fun. Do you have any contacts so I can follow up on these great ideas?

This is a referral from a good high-end customer, that's why I will see what I can do to help them out. I'll be within a couple miles of their house in a few minutes when I go do a bank run so I'll probably drop in and take a look. I'm always busy, but I always have time to consider opportunities. Maybe they're in enough need to get this done before their guests arrive on Thursday that they're willing to pay a priority service surcharge?

If I had the contacts I probably would use them myself. You could always go to an area where they shoot shows and stalk them. Can't remember the exact state your in.

I would get pre payment if it were me
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 09:07 AM
And if I show up and somebody has started the cleanup at all, raked a small area, I'll have a hissy fit and can her, lol. A guy on here actually did that....f'd up I know but that's the way some of these guys operate.

Jimslawncareservice
11-20-2012, 09:26 AM
And if I show up and somebody has started the cleanup at all, raked a small area, I'll have a hissy fit and can her, lol. A guy on here actually did that....f'd up I know but that's the way some of these guys operate.

What you can't get threw your thick skull is if its a one time thing no big deal, but dealing with that crap and having someone destroy my work and someone having a cow that I'll be a couple hours later than I said is all together different.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I was not aware that you had measured the thickness of my skull. You don't even know what state I'm in but you know the thickness of my skull?

If your lack of respect for other members here is any indication of the way you treat your customers, it's no wonder you have a hard time holding onto them. You know that anger management classes are often free?

Good day....off to chase leaves.

Jimslawncareservice
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I can just see you chasing the leaves around yelling " come here Damn leaf" or " come here leaf come here leaf". Watching you chase leaves would make a good you tube video.
Posted via Mobile Device

pseudosun
11-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Alot of times, the lawn man is just overwhelmed, and the customer gets impatient. The lawn guy probably figures that if this customer can't understand a crisis, maybe i should ditch them. I've been on both sides. I showed up to a long time customer after a storm, and some teenager with a push mower was out there. I thought about calling her, but what's the damn point. I told one lady that i waited a month, and if you can't give me a couple of days to sort things out, maybe you need to get someone else. There was a big long silence. Today i did my sister's yard. She took it over and has been saying that it was easy; that's because she didn't edge, and had 3 feet of gum leaves in her beds. I tried to hide my anger, but she saw it, and gave me an extra 25. I think i'm at the point where if it is not scheduled before thanksgiving week, i'm not even going to consider it. Not interested in getting jerked around like that.

Darryl G
11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Well, I checked the place out this morning. It was a mess...doesn't look like it's been touched in 6 to 8 weeks, maybe more. Long grass, sticks all over and tons of wet leaves.

It turns out that a friend of mine has been servicing it. He really isn't very good about returning calls, which is their biggest problem with him...he doesn't return mine either, so I didn't bother to call him, lol. He works a full time day job and doesn't get out until 3:30, so that doesn't leave him much daylight this time of year.

I set my son up with the job working for the customer directly but with a little help and guidance from me. I'll have to do the mowing part, but otherwise it's mostly just picking up sticks and blowing....lots of blowing....but plenty of woods to loose the leaves and downed branches in.

I would never let one of my accounts get as bad as this place is. My friend very well may have a good reason for blowing them off, but letting the place get as bad as it is and not calling them back isn't really good business.

jrs.landscaping
11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
What you can't get threw your thick skull is if its a one time thing no big deal, but dealing with that crap and having someone destroy my work and someone having a cow that I'll be a couple hours later than I said is all together different.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did someone forget their meds? ;) :realmad:

Jimslawncareservice
11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Did someone forget their meds? ;) :realmad:

Yeah, you forgot to give them to darryl. Didn't you get the memo?
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I missed that one, was it left by the watercooler?

Jimslawncareservice
11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Yup, maybe it fell in?
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
If I get a call for a clean up or other work and I go out and meet the client for the estimate, I end it, with that I need a $25.00 N/R deposit to schedule.

That way If someone else shows up, I know they are committed and serious. If they have someone else do the work after the deposit is given, then I just received an "Estimate Fee". Also,doing that tells me who the tire kickers are and/or lets me know there might be an objection that needs answering.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Funny thing about this I had about dozen clean ups and gutter cleanings to do after thanksgiving. Then it got cold fast and now its I want it done before thanksgiving. I have friends and family coming over.... Well they werent coming in the first place? I hate how people want to wait till the last leaf falls but then something comes up and its a emergency.

My mom always tells me....a problem on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. its so true!

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I used to have that saying up on my office wall, just a little different. A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

The job went pretty well. My son made $350 for a few hours of work, the lady said it looks fantastic and wants me back in the spring. I'm not sure I want the job, but it's an opportunity. It was a good reminder for me of what a pain in the a$$ doing a leaf cleanup on an overgrown lawn is too.

I did end up spending a little more time helping him than I planned, but it was nice to work with him again...we work well together. He worked with me for 4 summers but I worked with his younger brother instead this last summer.