PDA

View Full Version : pruning and shaping tips

grassmasterswilson
11-21-2012, 07:23 AM
I know most pruning is done free hand and by sight, but anyone got any good tips for pruing and shaping shrubs, hedges, ets?

We do mostly round, squared off hedges, and "christmas tree" looks.

jackal
11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
They should be wider at the bottom than the top so the lower branches catch some sun.

I like them off the ground a couple inches so I can get the debris out from underneath the bush.

They should not touch the house.

Keep them small unless you are trying to hide something.

Fertilize them only until they reach the desired size.

Trim them as infrequently as possible. Trimming stimulates growth.

Smallaxe
11-21-2012, 10:09 AM
We have hedges mostly in the Cedar Family, with a few Yews both of which we do after the new growth is completed, but before it is hardened off... I like the long shaft of the moveable head on the echo trimmer to get the straight edge of the hedges as opposed to the shorter unit, becuz I can make a more uniform cut... the same with the top...
Small rounded or various shaped individuals I start with the smaller power blades and finish it off with a sharp hedge shears to clean it up if necessary... as long as you approach it slowly, it can easily be mastered if you have an 'eye for it'... like cutting hair...
All of the deciduous are done in Fall or Spring during dormancy and the reason there is,,, to cut the skeleton while visualizing the areas of growth that may occur once it fleshes out...

Kiril
11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
I know most pruning is done free hand and by sight, but anyone got any good tips for pruing and shaping shrubs, hedges, ets?

We do mostly round, squared off hedges, and "christmas tree" looks.

Replace them with plants that require little or no pruning.

gunsnroses
11-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Depending on the landscape you are dealing with, but I am guessing these are landscapes designed by an architect. Try to visualize the intent. A large mass planting may not be intended to be pruned like a pan of freshly baked dinner rolls, but rather connected as one. I think you get where I am going with this. Think about the surface area created by many round ball shapes as to one large "plant or plants". You are creating more work by doing so. If you change the plan from doing so, you may need to explain to the owner as they may not understand your vision.

Smallaxe
11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
With all due respect toward those with rambling brushy effect of natural plantings,,, find out what the client prefers and keep it looking perfect to him/her... :)

White Gardens
11-21-2012, 08:52 PM
When doing flat shrubs on top, I try to find a line on the siding or brick course on a house and use that as my level guide.

Landscape Poet
11-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Help limit the spread of disease by carrying a small spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol to clean your tool of choice inbetween plants especially if a know disease is present on any shrub or bush.

Kiril kind of hit in the right direction as well, having the right plant in the right place , with the right intention does a long way in helping you do your job.

Weekend cut easymoney
11-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Replace them with plants that require little or no pruning.

You'll make a lot more money as well, removal install and warranty....why make money pruning year after year?make it all at once.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
11-22-2012, 09:55 AM
You'll make a lot more money as well, removal install and warranty....why make money pruning year after year?make it all at once.

My job isn't to make the lawnboy money, but to save the client money by recommending intelligent, sustainable, low input solutions. That means using plants that are not only regionally appropriate, but are also appropriate for the location they will be used in. Appropriate for the location means choosing a plant that will fill the intended area when the plant is mature without the need for continual maintenance or formal pruning.

Weekend cut easymoney
11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd also think synthetic grass is a game changer....no more mowing or irrigation necessary....silk flowers .....certainly present all options to client . In the long run xeriscape makes a lot of sense as most folks never use large grass areas.
Many types of views on what looks nice. Some prefer a 'more natural look' (myself included, others like manicured hedges and large grass areas... I try to provide the best value for my client..
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
11-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I'd also think synthetic grass is a game changer....no more mowing or irrigation necessary....silk flowers .....certainly present all options to client . In the long run xeriscape makes a lot of sense as most folks never use large grass areas.
Many types of views on what looks nice. Some prefer a 'more natural look' (myself included, others like manicured hedges and large grass areas... I try to provide the best value for my client..
Posted via Mobile Device

We tend to forget 'why' we moved away from xeriscaping when we first settled Wisconsin... what was your part of the world like before it was domesticated by settlers???

Weekend cut easymoney
11-23-2012, 06:37 PM
My idea of xeriscaping is using grass where appropriatly needed. Reducing grass sq. Footage in favor of drought tolerant plants, groundcovers sprinkled with perennial color...lowmmaintenance .
Area here was some grasslands and rolling hills....grass somewhat like buffalo...resposible irrigation usage through better plant sele ction and technology.

Weekend cut easymoney
11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Not rocks and cactus...use mulch!

Smallaxe
11-24-2012, 05:40 AM
If you live in grasslands,,, how do you determine the native trees and bushes for your landscapes???
Around here we have had misquitoes and various other vermin that was actually responsible for the deaths of many settlers... I'm sitting on acres of 'naturally xeriscaped' land and my domesticated landscape/lawns and gardens are much more productive relevant and clean compared to 'native plants and bushes'...
Reducing misquito habitat is Job One and making it look good follows...

If I were king,,, I'd rip out the concrete jungle and make city people grow trees and food then walk to work... :)

White Gardens
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
If you live in grasslands,,, how do you determine the native trees and bushes for your landscapes???

Funny you say that.

Our area actually had no trees to speak of originally. The place was stripped cleaned from natural wildfires every few years. The only trees we had were some natural Maple groves from what I can tell.

Now there's trees everywhere of all varieties and still lots of farmground.

Smallaxe
11-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Funny you say that.

Our area actually had no trees to speak of originally. The place was stripped cleaned from natural wildfires every few years. The only trees we had were some natural Maple groves from what I can tell.

Now there's trees everywhere of all varieties and still lots of farmground.

I Love it!!!

Around here we are building/growing windbreaks for natural erosion control for the wide open spaces,,, but the cities are doing fine with their trees and threir building and even their heat island in which small towns are consistently 5 degrees warmer in the cool seasons than the wide open spaces...

Now if Iowa would just put in some trees, then Shytown would be no more, "The Windy City" than Green Bay... Of course that has already been addressed... "WildFires"...

Nature's Wise and Loving Hand or Prelude to Desolation??? WildFires... Utah, Montana, etc... I remember one Summer we didn't have a Summer,,, only the stink of wildfires in the western US...

In my opinion,,, Prelude to Desolation...

But I digress... :)

Are you insinuating that mankind growing trees in Illinios is better than having "Grasslands" dominate the landscape, over these millions and millions of acres, outside the Windy City???