PDA

View Full Version : How I Do Leaf Cleanups

corey4671
11-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Shot a little video to promote leaf cleanups on my Facebook page for the business. This was actually the third time this season to blow the leaves off of this yard.

http://youtu.be/igKAtdHKDik

hi_speedreed
11-22-2012, 11:43 AM
all you needed to complete it is some girls in bikinis and lingerie to chase around the yard while that music is playing, lol.

I like the video ad idea.

In the middle of the vid you are blowing the leaves along that drive. Why didnt you just blow the leaves to the drive in a long skinny pile? From the vid it looked like you were loading from there. It looked like you were moving leaves further than needed and adding time to your job. Hard to tell from a video, sometimes you just have to be there, thats why I ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
11-22-2012, 11:59 AM
all you needed to complete it is some girls in bikinis and lingerie to chase around the yard while that music is playing, lol.

I like the video ad idea.

In the middle of the vid you are blowing the leaves along that drive. Why didnt you just blow the leaves to the drive in a long skinny pile? From the vid it looked like you were loading from there. It looked like you were moving leaves further than needed and adding time to your job. Hard to tell from a video, sometimes you just have to be there, thats why I ask.
Posted via Mobile Device

Because I don't always have a helper. I try to pile the leaves so I don't have to move the truck as often. Ideally, I try to pile them so I can back up to the pile and never move the truck. With the layout of that yard, that is the best spot to get to them. The driveway is actually the neighbor's driveway. As you see early in the video, there is a long hedge row on the other side of the lawn.

cborden
11-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Love the Benny Hill aspect. :laugh:

RedSox4Life
11-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Is that a carry on trailer? You ever have any electrical issues with it?

Jimslawncareservice
11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Your lucky you don't have wind to deal with. We never have a calm day. Yesterday it was 20-25 mph
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
11-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Is that a carry on trailer? You ever have any electrical issues with it?

It is...none so far.

willretire@40
11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
How long did that job take you?

corey4671
11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Your lucky you don't have wind to deal with. We never have a calm day. Yesterday it was 20-25 mph
Posted via Mobile Device

we get out share of it!

Darryl G
11-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Great video. I see you do use the backpack blower and wheel blower at the same time (like I do sometimes) but it seems like you're only operating one at a time. What I do is use them both simultaneously with the backback blower operating in the space under the wheel blower handlebar, left hand on the wheel blower moving that around and operating the chute (Billy Goat with remote chute control).

corey4671
11-22-2012, 05:48 PM
I try to use the wheel blower as much as possible and then just use the backpack to WORK out corners and tight spots.

If you haven't seen my aeration video, I did it along the same lines with the Benny hill music and the video sped up to 4x speed
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
When you're using the wheel blower, try using the backpack at the same time, like I said shooting under the wheel blower handlebar. You've got it on your back anyway, may as well use it. No?

corey4671
11-22-2012, 05:55 PM
I've tried it. It gets my back all in a bind.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
I wish my wheel blower output was on the other side. Then the ability to use both would be more ergonomic
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Ahhhh...ok. Understood. I don't suppose you sometimes trim with your backpack blower on too. I do that on a couple of jobs with really long curb lines.

Groomer
11-22-2012, 06:37 PM
wow thats alot of time spent carrying the backpack while not using it-I set mine down when I grab the little wonder for extended periods of time-and sometimes I position the wheeled blower behind me while using the backpack. Pretty cool vid, though, wish leaf cleanup really went that fast!

corey4671
11-22-2012, 07:09 PM
wow thats alot of time spent carrying the backpack while not using it-I set mine down when I grab the little wonder for extended periods of time-and sometimes I position the wheeled blower behind me while using the backpack. Pretty cool vid, though, wish leaf cleanup really went that fast!

That's typically what I try to do is keep the wheel blower behind me especially when the pile gets big.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
11-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Ahhhh...ok. Understood. I don't suppose you sometimes trim with your backpack blower on too. I do that on a couple of jobs with really long curb lines.

No, I don't do that. I'll use the mower a lot of times to blow off curb lines
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
11-22-2012, 07:58 PM
How long did it take you start to finish? Is that a employee helping rake them to the vac?

Darryl G
11-22-2012, 08:13 PM
One thing I'd suggest, use a steel or aluminum rake to move the leaves at the pile when feeding the vac. You can just push or pull them that way and take one stroke for every 5 strokes it takes with a leaf rake. The same thing goes for you guys loading tarps. I prefer a 24 or 36 inch aluminum landscape rake most of the time or an 18 inch level-head rake if the leaves are soggy.

corey4671
11-23-2012, 01:15 AM
How long did it take you start to finish? Is that a employee helping rake them to the vac?

Probably about an hour and 45 minutes. The helper is the son of friend. He helps me on occasion when I need an extra pair of hands when he's out of school. We had been out all day trimming shrubs and he was on cleanup detail. We did a couple of leaf jobs as well. I had piled these leaves in the video a few days earlier and when we got in at the end of the day I sucked the leaves up while there was still some daylight and had the trailer hooked up.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
11-23-2012, 01:17 AM
One thing I'd suggest, use a steel or aluminum rake to move the leaves at the pile when feeding the vac. You can just push or pull them that way and take one stroke for every 5 strokes it takes with a leaf rake. The same thing goes for you guys loading tarps. I prefer a 24 or 36 inch aluminum landscape rake most of the time or an 18 inch level-head rake if the leaves are soggy.

These leaves were dry as a bone and fluffy so they were easy to move. I have a 30 leaf rake from Lowes that works great
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
If it works for you that's fine. I'm just saying I think it's a lot easier to use a solid rake to move leaves. You can move a good sized pile with one stroke of a 36 inch aluminum landscape rake. I use ones with rounded teeth so I don't dig into the turf.

orangemower
11-24-2012, 09:34 AM
I have two of the rakes you're talking about. They're wide rakes for grading dirt and such. I might try it out next clean up.

Thing is, for me, I bag them up with the mower. I ride around on the mower looking dumb for the first 15-20 minutes backing over the lawn in a random patten to bust up the leaves some. Then I start to bag them. I found that if I back over them, it doesn't really bag them that much until you move forward. It just windrows them in a pile. Makes it easy to get more in the bags.

Corey, I asked about the time frame to contain all the leaves you were blowing around into a pile because I did a clean up a couple weeks ago about that same size. It took me just over 2hrs start to finish but I had them already loaded so I wouldn't need to come back. Plus you had someone helping you.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not bagging them as you go versus blowing them into a pile and then loading them. I think it's a wash to be honest.

Jimslawncareservice
11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I have two of the rakes you're talking about. They're wide rakes for grading dirt and such. I might try it out next clean up.

Thing is, for me, I bag them up with the mower. I ride around on the mower looking dumb for the first 15-20 minutes backing over the lawn in a random patten to bust up the leaves some. Then I start to bag them. I found that if I back over them, it doesn't really bag them that much until you move forward. It just windrows them in a pile. Makes it easy to get more in the bags.

Corey, I asked about the time frame to contain all the leaves you were blowing around into a pile because I did a clean up a couple weeks ago about that same size. It took me just over 2hrs start to finish but I had them already loaded so I wouldn't need to come back. Plus you had someone helping you.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not bagging them as you go versus blowing them into a pile and then loading them. I think it's a wash to be honest.

Time wise I think it would be a bit faster using blowers vs baggers if the lawn and leaves are some what maintained. And depending on the bagging system. But I would think if you get in long grass you wouldn't get all the leaves out and still need to run a bagger over it after.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-24-2012, 01:05 PM

I do the same. It can be a bit hazardous to the mower though if you have lawns with rocks and stumps sticking out than can be hidden by the leaves. Same thing with all the sticks that are down now from Hurricane Sandy...cost me a deck belt recently...stick got up in the pulley area and snapped it :( It also can be a problem if the leaves are wet. I think a leaf vac does better on wet leaves than a mower does. I sometimes dry the leaves a bit...hit them with the blower a couple of times to turn them and let them dry a little.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
11-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah I bag my clippings 100% of the time with High lift blades on the mowers at all times anyways, so I simply use the big mower and would just run over the lawn with a thin layer of leaves and the mower bags them up nicely.. That's how I do it, everyone has their own way of doing things, I try and choose the quickest, most efficient way possible when doing everything...

corey4671
11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Keep in mind that if mulching leaves is a viable option, that is what I do. If there are woods to blow them to, that is what I do. The video was done for Homeowner Joe or Jane who just doesn't want to mess with leaves period. I have it posted on my website, Facebook and use it through my text marketing. This is not to say that I pile up leaves and haul them off of every single yard. As a matter of fact the one yard I have that pays me the most money gets mulched every week while the leaves are falling simply because it's a large open lawn where I have room to spread the leaves around.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare
11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I use a QDS Ultra vac on 23 hp exmark. Dump 7 compacted bushels from seat. If you used one, you would only have to blow around the foundation, trees, and beds; add a leaf plow to the equation for heavy accumulation, and you could probably cut your time in half and fit more in a trailer load and have more energy at the end of the day. Just dump near where you will load them. Using it in reverse, as already stated helps chop large leaves down for easier collection. Also consider a front caster wheel on the blower and a front end mount to a ZTR. Mow, blow, and collect at the time time. If you used the QDS system, your pile would be 1/3 the size and would compost quicker. On large properties, we lay out several tarps for ease of dumping time the move the tarps with the mower to wherever we need them to be to save energy. All of our leaf jobs are 2 men 1 mower and full detail service.

We don't use a loader, but dump on tarps and stack the tarps on top of each other in the front of the covered trailer for removal or have a compost area on site to move tarp loads to--this saves us fuel by not needing 2 visits or 2 trucks on site. This is the most efficient methods that I've discovered for handling leaves.

I like the text ad; its very unique!

jsslawncare
11-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I love your video's.

corey4671
12-02-2012, 02:46 AM
I use a QDS Ultra vac on 23 hp exmark. Dump 7 compacted bushels from seat. If you used one, you would only have to blow around the foundation, trees, and beds; add a leaf plow to the equation for heavy accumulation, and you could probably cut your time in half and fit more in a trailer load and have more energy at the end of the day. Just dump near where you will load them. Using it in reverse, as already stated helps chop large leaves down for easier collection. Also consider a front caster wheel on the blower and a front end mount to a ZTR. Mow, blow, and collect at the time time. If you used the QDS system, your pile would be 1/3 the size and would compost quicker. On large properties, we lay out several tarps for ease of dumping time the move the tarps with the mower to wherever we need them to be to save energy. All of our leaf jobs are 2 men 1 mower and full detail service.

We don't use a loader, but dump on tarps and stack the tarps on top of each other in the front of the covered trailer for removal or have a compost area on site to move tarp loads to--this saves us fuel by not needing 2 visits or 2 trucks on site. This is the most efficient methods that I've discovered for handling leaves.

I like the text ad; its very unique!

The blower has a swivel however I prefer not to use it on turf. It tends to get turned and harder to push. I also have a hitch for mounting the blower on my mower but I've found it's just slower than actually pushing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
12-02-2012, 02:48 AM
I love your video's.

Thanks. The gift of gab is one of my few useful attributes
Posted via Mobile Device