PDA

View Full Version : degree for landscaping

mike9497
01-28-2003, 01:54 AM
just saw on tv that you can get a degree for landscaping? never hurd of such a thing.i learned the trade from other landscapers that i use to work for.i also checked the local schools and theres nothing like that being offered.

KenH
01-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Look into UConn---- They have Landscape Design, Landscape Architecture degrees, plus a ton of classes on anything from Greenhouse management, to Soils to Woody Ornamentals. Also check out Naugatuck Valley Community College. I have taken a few classes there, including my Arborist Liscense prep class. Except for the technical classes, you learn alot more from the students attending, than the professor.

mdb landscaping
01-28-2003, 09:16 AM
ill be graduating at the end of summer when i finish my internship with a degree in turfgrass science. its a two year associates degree, but they do offer 4 year degrees as well. i have learned so much, and they make you take such a variety of classes that you get a good background in it. theres actually a lot of older adults in most of my classes to that are coming back to learn more. heres the classes ive taken so far.

intro to computer use, landscape plant maint, herbaceous ornamentals, evergreens, ag econ, plant science, soils, plant pest control, turfgrass management, integrated pest management, plant propagation, agribusiness management, golf course management, pesticide safety and management (certified by the DEP when course is done) special topics of the turf industry, and comparative politics.

you take many other courses as well, such as design and maintaining landscapes etc...

mklawnman
01-28-2003, 11:24 AM
Im going for an AS in Landscaping at a two year school around by me. Their is also a 4yr program for Landscape Horticulture. Besides learning from the trades their is also alot to learn in school about how to do design work and about different types of turf grasses and such.
Matt

Turfdude
01-28-2003, 12:59 PM
In NJ, Rutgers hasa good program for Landscape Architects. Widener has a more holistic approach to their design teachings. I have always found that the biggest problems w/ architects is that they have no practical experience. They tend to overcrowd a lot and put way too much ground cover around shrubs. IMHO, if you gofor a degree, make sure you also do the work. Like anything else in college- its only a basis to go by. What you learn in school is not really a true application of real world excersise.

Bob

Brother1
01-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Do any of you guys know of programs in the metro NY area. I know the botanical gardens has a program but just curious about anything outside of the city and not in NJ or on Long Island.

Kent Lawn Care
01-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Well im graduating in a couple months with 6 assoc. and 3 certifications. i ended up taking agriculture courses because for me to go to Michigan State id have to stay on campus and that would dig into the business to much so i went to the comm college

One Degree
01-29-2003, 09:24 AM
I received a 4 year B.S. in Landscape Design/Turf Management from the University of Arkansas in 2001. I had classes ranging from golf/sports/home turf, landscape maintenance, bidding, irrigation, designing, entomology and many others that relate to the field. It was a very valuable experience. It expanded what I had learned from mowing/landscaping through Jr. High and High School. The best class I had was a semester of CPU design class with a landscape CAD program. When I graduated I already new how to run the program which saved lots of time and money for training. I just bought it after 2 years upon graduating and am getting ready to implement it in my side business. I believe in this day and time a degree is good to fall back on. Although experience is a must a degree will open up many other doors in other Horticulture fields. Not only will you get valuable lessons and experience you will make many contacts. Well enough of my jargon I am getting off topic. Hope this helps someone.

neighborguy
02-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Graduated from program that mklawnman is talking about. We are fortunate to have a large number of hands on classes at the tech school.They have a large amount of equipment the you get to use at the campus ranging from a 21 in mower to a midsized articulating loader (Kubota) and everything in between. There are countless classes on plants, soils, turf, and construction basics. All of the above provide a decent base that combined with hands on field learning can create a knowledgable person.

mklawnman
02-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Hey neighborguy
Check your e-mail i e-mailed ya back.
Yeah I heard about the same things you said about what they offer at the school about using equipment and studying of plants and turf. Always good to get some kind of education in this field of work.
Matt