PDA

View Full Version : Cummins or Duramax?

YellowDogSVC
11-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I've got an '05 F350 with 6.0 Powerstroke and an '08. The '05 has seen a lot of work lately and it's not worked all that hard. I only have 80k miles on it and keep up with all maintenance however it's getting expensive to maintain as more components fail.

My 2008 6.4 Powerstroke has been relatively problem free but I understand that when it does need major engine work, I'm going to have to pull the cab. That would be a major inconvenience especially if I install a flatbed this year.

Question for those in the know: Does the new Dodge's or Chevy's require the cab to be pulled for major work? My mechanic tells me the new Cummins is still bulletproof but the body won't be as stout as my Ford's. He said the Duramax/Chevy was dependable.

I'm not looking for a brand bash here but I've not owned a dodge with Cummins in 10 years. Never had a Duramax so I'm looking for good info that I can use to make a purchase decision. I appreciate the help but please let's keep this civil and on topic. :):hammerhead:

rstan2010
11-23-2012, 05:50 PM
I've got an '05 F350 with 6.0 Powerstroke and an '08. The '05 has seen a lot of work lately and it's not worked all that hard. I only have 80k miles on it and keep up with all maintenance however it's getting expensive to maintain as more components fail.

My 2008 6.4 Powerstroke has been relatively problem free but I understand that when it does need major engine work, I'm going to have to pull the cab. That would be a major inconvenience especially if I install a flatbed this year.

Question for those in the know: Does the new Dodge's or Chevy's require the cab to be pulled for major work? My mechanic tells me the new Cummins is still bulletproof but the body won't be as stout as my Ford's. He said the Duramax/Chevy was dependable.

I'm not looking for a brand bash here but I've not owned a dodge with Cummins in 10 years. Never had a Duramax so I'm looking for good info that I can use to make a purchase decision. I appreciate the help but please let's keep this civil and on topic. :):hammerhead:

You will have to pull the cab on any ford from the 6.0-6.7. Its just alot easier to work on. Many jobs can be done cab on tho. If you keep the 6.4 stock i would get rid of it but if you delete the dpf and tune it that engine is very reliable and makes alot of power. As far as the cummins vs duramax, my vote goes to duramax. The duramax engine is top notch and is very reliable and the truck overall is very good with the new frames and suspension upgrades that gm made. The cummins engine is good but the truck overall isnt as rigid.

YellowDogSVC
11-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Tha'ts what I'm looking for.. a comparison between frames if both motors are reliable in the GM and Dodge.

My 6.4 is a crew cab dually 4x4. Nice truck. Almost ready to put a flatbed on to make front line truck and turn my 2005 into my bid/support truck. After talking with my mechanic whom I have respect for, I'm rethinking things. I have considered doing the EGR delete and tune it but the motor is still under warranty for awhile longer as is the tranny.

Bigred350
11-23-2012, 09:35 PM
It's hard to beat a duramax. Chevy hasn't changed motors since like 01. All the have done is different injectors and heads. Where as ford and cummins change everything every few years. I have 2 duramax and don't have any complaints with either.

YellowDogSVC
11-23-2012, 10:34 PM
It's hard to beat a duramax. Chevy hasn't changed motors since like 01. All the have done is different injectors and heads. Where as ford and cummins change everything every few years. I have 2 duramax and don't have any complaints with either.

how much weight do you haul? I'm at about 23,500-to 24k when I'm maxed out including truck, trailer, and machine.

Does anyone know if the service is "simpler" on the Cummins or Duramax?

jbell36
11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
You will have to pull the cab on any ford from the 6.0-6.7. Its just alot easier to work on. Many jobs can be done cab on tho. If you keep the 6.4 stock i would get rid of it but if you delete the dpf and tune it that engine is very reliable and makes alot of power. As far as the cummins vs duramax, my vote goes to duramax. The duramax engine is top notch and is very reliable and the truck overall is very good with the new frames and suspension upgrades that gm made. The cummins engine is good but the truck overall isnt as rigid.

this dude is dead on...

cummins and duramax have done the least throughout the years changing stuff, obviously ford has had the worst track record but in my opinion the best overall built truck, as a package...i too have the 6.4 and personally i love it, but the emissions are starting to piss me off...i have 111,000 on it now, only problem i have had was to replace the radiator, other than that has been reliable in every way...it gets stuck in regen a lot and smokes, but hopefully i will be able to afford the egr and dpf delete soon...from what i hear the 6.4 is one of the most powerful chipped engines around...the main thing i hate about dodges is they are the first to rust and have transmission problems, most cheaply built of the 3...what i hate about GM is they are the worst looking, until they got to the 2007 model i believe...

i vote stay with your 6.4...i agree it sucks to have to pay for the cab to come off but they are designed to come off quickly

if you go with a duramax i would go with the LBZ...if you get a cummins i would get a 5.9, both around the 2006-7, just before emissions...

rstan2010
11-24-2012, 09:13 AM
this dude is dead on...

cummins and duramax have done the least throughout the years changing stuff, obviously ford has had the worst track record but in my opinion the best overall built truck, as a package...i too have the 6.4 and personally i love it, but the emissions are starting to piss me off...i have 111,000 on it now, only problem i have had was to replace the radiator, other than that has been reliable in every way...it gets stuck in regen a lot and smokes, but hopefully i will be able to afford the egr and dpf delete soon...from what i hear the 6.4 is one of the most powerful chipped engines around...the main thing i hate about dodges is they are the first to rust and have transmission problems, most cheaply built of the 3...what i hate about GM is they are the worst looking, until they got to the 2007 model i believe...

i vote stay with your 6.4...i agree it sucks to have to pay for the cab to come off but they are designed to come off quickly

if you go with a duramax i would go with the LBZ...if you get a cummins i would get a 5.9, both around the 2006-7, just before emissions...

I say get your tuner and delete pipe now if you can. The epa is investigating h&s and they have stopped all production of tuners but they are still in stock at most places but not for long. order now if you keep that truck. I have h&s mini, afe cold intake, and flo pro 5inch exhaust. The truck is a monster and has tons of power.

Monroe74
11-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Only thing I wanted to add was the 6.0 does not need the cab removed to do major work to it. Just bulletproofed my truck entirely with cab on .was it a *****? only the passenger side two head bolts but with the proper tool from snap-on you don't need to remove the hvac box or cab.

makktruck
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Cummins
Posted via Mobile Device

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
12-18-2012, 09:18 PM
how much weight do you haul? I'm at about 23,500-to 24k when I'm maxed out including truck, trailer, and machine.

Does anyone know if the service is "simpler" on the Cummins or Duramax?

routine maintenance is relatively the same on both the cummins and the dmax. the cummins has a little more working space around the engine, its not as tight as the duramax is. like the others if you are going to keep the ford replce the egr and dpf delete asap. otherwise i would get the duramax. its strong gets great mileage i have had no complaints with 220k miles and going strong. i can pull about 18k lbs no problem.

Cornell
12-18-2012, 10:28 PM
If you get a 6.7 Cummins don't get the 68RFE trans

Duramax, get an 06+ if you can

S-205
12-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Why do you say that about the 68rfe Advanced?

smallstripesnc
12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
If you get a cummins aim for the 12 valve's. They're bullet proof.

AWJ Services
12-23-2012, 09:42 AM
If you do not want too step up too a Med duty truck then a 4500/5500 chevy is the best option.

Mowingman
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
If you like your 05, with the 6.0, it is possible to make it as bulletproof and reliable as the old 7.3's. The modifications are all readily available in various kits, and the cost for the parts and labor run around $5000.00, if you do everything recommended.
Go to www.powerstroke.org and check out the 6.0 section. They have a topic there about how to "bulletproof" the 6.0.
I am thinking of picking up a 6.0, since they usually sell at low prices, and having all the mods done to it.

THEGOLDPRO
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.fastdecals.com/shop/images/detailed/8/cummins03_dodge.jpg

Cornell
12-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Why do you say that about the 68rfe Advanced?

Because its awful, its that same trans that's in a Jeep Liberty with some different internals. They are weak and even if you throw 8k into one it won't last over stock power levels. Dodge stopped using the trans in the 2013 trucks. Now they come with the same one that was in the 4500/5500 chassis cab trucks.

It's not the first time Chrysler put a garbage trans behind a great motor.

CuttingEdgeLandscapes
12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
If you do not want too step up too a Med duty truck then a 4500/5500 chevy is the best option.

I like the 4500/5500 Chevys besides the way they go through brake pads so fast
Posted via Mobile Device

show-n-go
12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I love my fords but my next setup will be duramax/Allison tranny. I still don't like the Chevy look but after driving one it's hard not to love them.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Because its awful, its that same trans that's in a Jeep Liberty with some different internals. They are weak and even if you throw 8k into one it won't last over stock power levels. Dodge stopped using the trans in the 2013 trucks. Now they come with the same one that was in the 4500/5500 chassis cab trucks.

It's not the first time Chrysler put a garbage trans behind a great motor.

Actually the Aisen trans will be an option in the 3500 trucks only. The 2500 will be 69rfe and 6spd manual only. Hopefully the Aisen will be available in the SRW 3500 and not just the DRW.
Posted via Mobile Device

smokenjoe_10
12-25-2012, 09:29 AM
The farm I work at on the side has a 01 dmax my couisin has a chipped 06 dmax drive them both and love them I have also drove a cummins and am a dodge guy. I would say get a 06 07 5.9 cummins better torque, and MPG is great. Guys on the dodgeforum hav seen 22 maybe higher mpg driving around empty and see around 18 pulling.

meets1
12-25-2012, 01:17 PM
On my second dmax. My vote is dmax. My father in law has cummins. Puts on about 60K a year and trades every year. Just noise level alone inside that cab is enough for me to stay with Dmax. Pulling, I really think when our loads are even, I could do more, stay with the flow of traffic better, and I alwasy get better milage. I have never had a problem with mine but then again my father in law hasnt either.

slowleak1
12-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Coming from a die hard ford fan...go with the cummins.

If not, stick with ford.

LandFakers
12-25-2012, 03:14 PM
The Dmax has my vote, my brother has 2 06' 4500's and hauls 17k of cattle around the country with no problems. One has 250k and the other has close to 300k I believe. He went from Dodges to the Chevy's and says he wont be going back anytime soon. Just my opinion and his experinces. Good luck with your decision