PDA

View Full Version : BIG STUMP removal questions

alldayrj
11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Hey guys,
dealing with the mess from Sandy still over here, lots of trees to be hauled and uprooted stumps. the little ones I just drive up and pluck out with the skid steer forks, but some of these big ones( trunks 3' to 4' in diameter) have a footprint of around 12'. Even if my machine could lift this, there is no way to get it out between houses then up into a dump truck and out at the dumps safely. The big question, who has handled stumps like this before and how do you do it? pick it clean with a pick then hose it off? cut it into more manageable pieces with a bunch of chainsaw blades? sawzall? roll it out front and slam it into a roll off for someone else to worry about? The skid steer I have is a Gehl 5640, will lift about 3k lbs. various chainsaws, and an international dump.

pics for your pleasure. that is my dad who is 6' tall. The other one is my clip board, about 1' tall.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/silversuper/46DAAE95-D678-4A49-95F7-599233D98F1D-25299-000017BB4FAE8EBA.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/silversuper/107E2C05-E721-4A9C-BA82-55657EABFF0F-25299-000017BB449AC33D.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/silversuper/2CF30774-2240-4C8C-994A-17F70DE54511-25299-000017BB3D83B641.jpg

stltreedr
11-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Wow those are big root wads. Ive done some of these with a stump grinder, but i can say they weren't that big. You could rent a big grinder, but it would take awhile. Granted, it would be a lot less time than a sawzall. I also saw a log splitter today that fit on the end of a skidsteer, it was like a giant screw, there is a youtube video that shows it splitting stumps. Let me find it and ill post it.
Posted via Mobile Device

stltreedr
11-23-2012, 11:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVLelWcXjWU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-23-2012, 11:06 PM
I've never ground stumps before, always sold people that digging was best so there was no years of rotting and sinking. how would you even grind something that tall?

I would just cut the roots off until I could lift it, probably make it 6' by 6' so if would fit in my truck and slide out without blowing out the side. not trying to cut it into quarters or anything.

if I could rent the splitter local or sell enough of these to pay for it, its worth a shot.

stltreedr
11-23-2012, 11:10 PM
With the grinder, you just start on the stump end and dig in. It will eventually fall down upon itself and back into the hole. If you can get a skidsteer to it, you can get a 100 hp bandit or vermeer grinder to it, they will go 2 or 3 feet high. Haul thr grindings and make more money replacing with topsoil and sod.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-23-2012, 11:33 PM
i know its a wild estimate, but how long of actual GRINDING will it take to make this thing small enough to pick up?

stltreedr
11-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Just a guess here. If you cut the trunk off as much as you could, i bet if you had a big grinder you could make short work of it in 1 or 1.5 hrs tops. If youve never run the machine before it might take half hour to learn it.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-24-2012, 12:10 AM
How does something like this stack up since i already own a skid steer and will have it on site?

Bobcat Skidsteer Stump grinder SG50 $3500

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/3404412619.html
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
11-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Lots of free time.
Small thermonuclear device.
Run like hell!

I don't foresee any small machines such as any of those being used by landscapers being able to pluck that thing out, you'll need one of those quarter million dollar dozers that gets brought in via 18-wheeler flatbed or what have you, as was said get a BIG stump grinder but you'll be there some hours...
You might get it done in two but I'm thinking 3-4 at the least, maybe even 5 or 6, I'd plan a day.

You might try...
Get up under the stump end with the skid steer and see if you can lift it back to
some kind of upright, that would help greatly but with only 3k lift it might not budge.
I'm thinking you'll need around 6-7000k lift just to set it upright...

alldayrj
11-24-2012, 12:24 AM
The only good thing about these is they are already snapped from the ground, just need to get it small enough to lift. Has anyone used a skid steer attachment grinder? My machine is low flow. How are they controlled and how do they stack up to a stand alone unit?
Posted via Mobile Device

stltreedr
11-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Sorry but i cant help you with the skidsteer grinders. Dont know a thing about them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-24-2012, 06:30 AM
I would get a backhoe or something like that in there to knock the dirt off of the stump first. The dirt is making it look much worse than it really is.

Nick's Lawn Care
11-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I hate doing stumps like these because they can weigh up to 15k lbs pretty easily. The fastest way is to get an excavator and shave off as much dirt as you can then reduce the size of the stump with a chainsaw. Just a tip, if you have to cut below the root flair and are going to hit dirt take a hose and clean a narrow path just as much for the chain to get by. It will take 2-3 hours depending on the size of your equipment. I usually charge more than an average stump too, you could get about $1000-$1500 each stump easily.

shovelracer
11-24-2012, 07:17 AM
You need to shave all those down. No question what is left will still weigh a few tons, but you will greatly reduce the volume. You say access is a problem but you can get a skid in there. You should be able to get a decent backhoe or mini ex in there to strip it and then haul it out with the skid. We are in the same boat over here. There are hundreds if not thousands of these stumps around. Generally though our area excavators are using their mid sized ex's to do these. Do not short change yourself though these are going for $1500-2500 a piece, more for hard access.

alldayrj
11-24-2012, 07:17 AM
I was thinking 2500 with dumps at 65 per ton and they need me to haul some of the trunk too. I don't have a mini ex yet so my skid steer with forks will have to do for now.
Grinders are ok hitting dirt? I could use a skid steer mounted one like a big circular saw or maybe I'm just stump drunk
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
11-24-2012, 08:34 AM
How does something like this stack up since i already own a skid steer and will have it on site?

Bobcat Skidsteer Stump grinder SG50 $3500

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/3404412619.html
Posted via Mobile Device

I think this would be perfect for the job, since you have the skid steer. You could prob rent 1 for a day for couple hundred if you don't wanna drop $3500. If you can land more of these stumps, I'd buy this. I would cut off as much of the trunk as possible, then go at the stump with Skid Steer Stump Grinder leaving dirt on roots to weigh stump down & hold it in place. Once stump is reduced to managable size, then tear into the dirt & root system with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

newtostone
11-24-2012, 08:51 AM
What I have done in the past is cut the trunk as low as I could get it, And chain one end to my backhoe and slide my skid with forks under the back. Stumps are heavy, move slowly and safely. Pressure was the roots first you'll drop a ton of weight by doing so.
I would never try grinding that down, thats just me.

alldayrj
11-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Pressure washer also crossed my mind. If i sell 3 or 4 of these i will just buy one but for now I'll look for rentals. Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

JLSLLC
11-24-2012, 04:44 PM
knocking off the dirt will help you for sure, good luck!

alldayrj
11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Prices are going out monday morning, I'll let you guys know how it goes. In the meantime, let me know if you have one of the skid steer grinders or experience/recomendations
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Check this dude out
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/silversuper/0B4BCA0E-FA0C-4FC2-B391-A1ED77213FFE-27730-00001A0B5BFC0407.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
11-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Get in touch with somebody that has a large stump grinder and sub it to them.

I think a local guy here is going to the ne with a rayco rg100. Monster machines like that are what you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 04:37 PM
No one with a grinder that big is looking for work, theyre booked! What does he want per day?
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I have a friend up in Queens right now. He took all of his trucks and employees. They anticipate being there steady for 6 to 8 months. They have a small Cat excavator with them to take care of root balls like these that are pictured. It looks just like this one.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/890969/7/images/C601123_overview.jpg

RoyalTree
11-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Not sure.

We have a similar machine and i would be looking for a pretty penny.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 05:35 PM
If this work continues to pile up i will be buying a mini ex. Buying another dump tomorrow. This hurricane is the unwanted stimulus package
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole
11-25-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a friend up in Queens right now. He took all of his trucks and employees. They anticipate being there steady for 6 to 8 months. They have a small Cat excavator with them to take care of root balls like these that are pictured. It looks just like this one.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/890969/7/images/C601123_overview.jpg

wow that is nuts. is there really that much work???????

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 05:55 PM
A good friend of the family does trees and spent 50k on equip and hired 2 crews from maine and put them up in hotels. Not sure how long the work will be here for but its here now!
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
11-25-2012, 06:41 PM
wow that is nuts. is there really that much work???????

Apparently. He was looking for someone with a CDL too. I'm not sure what the deal is with that. Maybe the Feds require a CDL for a bucket truck.

Richard Martin
11-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't know about buying that SG50 grinder to do any serious work. Maybe I've been hanging around guys with real grinders for too long, but that SG50 looks to be slow as death. Here's a guy on Youtube trying to sell one and he gives a demo. I look for big chips from a grinder, this thing looks like they're using a belt sander. You can see it come to a stop several times as he's using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTcQaPQwMEE

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh wow that thing is a joke. I found out i can't use a bobcat attachment anyway. I don't have that plug so i need a generic one like a bradco
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
11-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Is there really that much work to be done? 6 months? We dont see that very often. Maybee i should send our rg90 and a bucket truck...
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Is there really that much work to be done? 6 months? We dont see that very often. Maybee i should send our rg90 and a bucket truck...
Posted via Mobile Device

the work is there but its mostly about connections and sales. every tom dick and harry has come out of the wood work to do trees etc.

alldayrj
11-25-2012, 10:29 PM
found this to work the bobcat ones.
http://skidsteerstuff.com/new_page_2.htm
calling for a price tomorrow and maybe I can make a deal

Richard Martin
11-26-2012, 05:55 AM
the work is there but its mostly about connections and sales. every tom dick and harry has come out of the wood work to do trees etc.

My friend has worked the entire East Coast in every major storm for the last 10 years. He has the connections now. He knows the FEMA people too.

mdlwn1
11-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

There is that much work to be done. Its more of a logging operation now in many places. I have well over 50 oaks 2.5-3.5' x 80-110'. I'm seeing out of state logging operations on some golf courses. Im unable to post pics for some reason, but were pulling stumps with a huge volvo front end loader and its struggling...even after digging them out with with mini ex's.

RoyalTree
11-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Talked to the competition today...

He said he normally gets around 3-4k per day with his grinder doing storm work.
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
11-27-2012, 12:43 AM
every tom dick and harry has come out of the wood work to do trees etc.

I find that rather irritating myself, more so with out of state companies, I feel like they're taking advantage.

Richard Martin
11-27-2012, 05:59 AM
I find that rather irritating myself, more so with out of state companies, I feel like they're taking advantage.

Why is that? Would you rather the few legitimate companies that are in one area take years to clean it up? When we had our hurricane last year my county looked like a war zone. We had out of state tree companies come in and help clean it up. I didn't see anybody complaining.

The damage from this storm is significantly worse. Upwards of $15 billion in damages. This is not some piddly little ice storm they're cleaning up after.

whiffyspark
11-27-2012, 06:54 AM
We have the new bobcat grinder. It's worth the money
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
11-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Which one? High or low flow?
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
11-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Sg60 is what we have. We run it off an a300 usually
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Why is that? Would you rather the few legitimate companies that are in one area take years to clean it up? When we had our hurricane last year my county looked like a war zone. We had out of state tree companies come in and help clean it up. I didn't see anybody complaining.

The damage from this storm is significantly worse. Upwards of $15 billion in damages. This is not some piddly little ice storm they're cleaning up after.

They're saying it's over 70 billion at this point. I've been volunteering in Ocean County NJ on the weekends and can say that in economic terms, it's WAY worse than Katrina. The military was airlifting lineman trucks from all over north america...without them, the us economy would be destroyed.