PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Vac

flexoman
11-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Just purchased a new dump trailer and was wondering if it is better mount a Billy Goat Debris Loader to the front or the back:canadaflag:

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I personally dont have one or a dump trailer but I would think it would make more sense to put it on the front so when you dump it you dont have to take it off as long as it is secured properly

tinkerlawn
11-25-2012, 10:55 PM
What size BG loader?? I know the 18hp units weigh in at 250-300lbs so your gate/barn doors will most likely need some reinforcing in order to accommodate that weight.

corey4671
11-25-2012, 11:46 PM
I've had my Billy Goat on the barn doors of my Carry On trailer for three seasons now and have yet to have a problem. I like being able to back up to a pile especially in a driveway.

Darryl G
11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
I had my 16HP Billy Goat on the barn door of my Bri-Mar trailer with no problem too. Those gates are pretty sturdy. You just need to tie or chain it back when you dump. A friend of mine has his on the tongue of his dump trailer and I don't like it. He had to mount it up high to clear the battery/hydraulics box and has it facing toward the truck gate. I feel pinned in and claustrophobic working in that confined area between the truck and trailer and the thing is always clogging due to being at a 90 degree angle...and it's hard to clear it because you can't even straighten it out. I think it would be better to mount it with the intake facing the curb if you're going to put it on the tongue.

recycledsole
11-27-2012, 11:36 AM
hey daryl which bri mar dump trailer model do you have?
i want to get a 7k or 10k one, not sure which one to get
thanks

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I've got the extra width 10k 12 footer. I'm glad I went with the extra width (102 inch width), especially for when I haul my landscape tractor. Otherwise it would be really tight in there trying to strap it down. Nice to have the extra capactiy for when hauling bulky light loads too. This is the one I have. http://www.bri-mar.com/trailerdetail.php?modelsid=29&categorysid=1

I have the equipment ramps which are stored under it and the D rings. Two 2 x 10s for side boards brings me up to 8 yard capacity. It's hitched to my truck right now. I haul my mower in it for accounts I have to haul leaves from this time of year instead of using my leaf loader and a box. The ladder ramps are not ideal for hauling a mower though...not very grippy and you can drop a caster wheel through them. And a little tip....DO NOT drop the ladder ramp on your big toe!!!!!! I usually just use my arched aluminum ramps instead when hauling my mower. The do make a ramp gate option for them too.

recycledsole
11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
thanks daryl
im thinking to get those under bed equipment ramps and 44" raised sides for security/ hauling. depending if they are afforable. otherwise will build box.
are the axles different on a 10k trailer from a 7k? theyre both dexter ez lube.
should i get the battery charger, or does it charge from my truck?
how much did it cost you?
thanks again daryl. you have helped me out a lot i appreciate it

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Dunno about the axles. The battery will charge off the truck, to a degree. It's not a very heavy gauge wire. If you're making lots of short trips and dumping a lot the battery can end up gradually loosing charge...not usually a problem though. I do take the battery out and give it a good overnight trickle charge now and then. Mine was $6,000 plus tax but that was back in 2006 I think. And you're welcome.

corey4671
11-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I bought a little trickle charger at Tractor Supply and just wired it into the battery. I keep an extension cord run out to where I park the trailer and plug it up about once a week to keep it charged up.

Darryl G
11-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah...I'd do the same Cory except my trailer is parked 200+ feet away from the closest outlet, so it's easier to just disconnect it and bring it in for the night to charge. I use my charger/starter on the 12V 2 amp setting. In the winter when I'm not using my trailer I just bring the battery into my garage. I was having to use my jump starter pack because the original battery wasn't holding a charge well...finially got tired of that and bought a new one.