PDA

View Full Version : GMC 5 ton

McG_Landscaping
11-24-2012, 02:59 PM
I have been doing more dirt work and need something that can haul more than a yard at a time. I am going to look at this truck tomorrow. Any thing I should look out for in particular?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3391105550.html

93Chevy
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi/Low switch working properly, tranny problems, cab mounts, frame rust/holes, wheel bearings, tie rods, steering column.

4 seasons lawn&land
11-24-2012, 03:41 PM
well its worth that much in scrap. Chances are fixing it up is more than its worth

93Chevy
11-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Even with a split rear end, that 350 is way too small of a motor. You won't be able to go up any hills in shaler above 5mph

Just my two cents

jrs.landscaping
11-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I agree about the 350. Not enough motor for the truck, flat ground doing short hauls you might be alright. What's the GVWR on it?

McG_Landscaping
11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
I dont know what the gvwr is on it yet. its not something that is going to be used all of the time. just every now and again

White Gardens
11-24-2012, 05:09 PM
If it's just for the occasional work, then the 350 should be OK. It will just be slow as molasses on inclines.

We used to have an old Chevy Tandem split rear truck on the farm when I was growing up. I know it didn't have a very big motor in it as a gasser. and it did just fine with a load of grain. It was probably a 454, and is probably similar to the power to weight ratio of the single axle your looking at.

It did the job, just a slow goer.

I would ask what work needs to be done.

In all honesty, for the age, that truck looks to be in pretty good cosmetic condition. Worst case scenario you can sell the dump body and hoist for probably close to 3k.

alldayrj
11-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Had the same exact truck. It should make you money. When it breaks, scrap and you win
Posted via Mobile Device

McG_Landscaping
11-24-2012, 05:36 PM
If it's just for the occasional work, then the 350 should be OK. It will just be slow as molasses on inclines.

We used to have an old Chevy Tandem split rear truck on the farm when I was growing up. I know it didn't have a very big motor in it as a gasser. and it did just fine with a load of grain. It was probably a 454, and is probably similar to the power to weight ratio of the single axle your looking at.

It did the job, just a slow goer.

I would ask what work needs to be done.

In all honesty, for the age, that truck looks to be in pretty good cosmetic condition. Worst case scenario you can sell the dump body and hoist for probably close to 3k.

Thanks for the insight! I am hoping it can pull a skid occasionally or haul dirt occasionally. Maybe 5 days a month max. I know it doesnt need exhaust from motor back, just part, and it needs back tires. I will find out tomorrow when I look at it. Also my dad is a mechanic so he does all of my work and can fix pretty much anything
Had the same exact truck. It should make you money. When it breaks, scrap and you win
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks!

Mowingman
11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I think it is more likely a 3 ton, not a 5 ton. I had one just like that with the same tranny and engine. Kind of slow from a stop, but went down the road good with a load. I also used it to pull a trailer with a Bobcat on it.
Figure rear tires at $1000.00, then another $750 - $1000 for TLC repairs.
Insurance and registration are pretty high on that size truck, at least down here. I would be sure to check on the annual cost to register it in your state, and get a quote on insurance, before you make your decision.