PDA

View Full Version : Decisions! Box truck or 3/4 ton w/ utility bed?

KrayzKajun
11-25-2012, 11:57 AM
In a toss up. So here is the run down. I really need a second vehicle for the upcoming season. Trying to grow the irrigation and tree/land work sides of my business. It get pretty tricky scheduling only having my dually for pulling trailers/work truck. I would love a box truck but would still only have one truck to pull trailers. I have 2x goosenecks, open landscape and an 18' enclosed trailer. I found a used box truck and a 3/4 ton with utility body both in same price range. The 3/4ton is a 99 chevy reg cab, gas. I would take the lift gate off and put a towing package on it to pull my open/ enclosed trailers and possible get a small bumper pull equipment trailer for my skid steer. The utility body is in great shape, would be good for keeping irrigation tools/parts and my chainsaws/rope etc... Could make service calls without bringing a trailer. Ughhhh decisions. Seller is asking $2800 obo for the chevy. Would like to upgrade skidsteers but may hold off and get a second truck first. Here are a few pics of chevy. http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/13EAAEDD-24AF-413D-BE15-A169DE7EA797-16678-00000D54AD4939EF.jpg http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/BA122FB9-9444-4A24-A346-6522E857C0CB-16678-00000D54A5548BC6.jpg http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/DEE26484-1EFB-41BE-967B-9198A3C329A1-16678-00000D549033533A.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

LindblomRJ
11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
A utility box would be very handy for irrigation. I'd think twice about removing the liftgate. I have on on my 05 Ford, it has been proven handy more than once. Some of the receiver hitches can mount without getting in the way of the lift. On my pickup it is that way.

The other option is to look for a utlity box that has some lower sides that would allow for a gooseneck hitch. Of course you can remove the lift and sell it and recoup some of your investment. Without looking at the box truck I'd say this would be a good deal and a good fit as a second vehicle.

TriCountyLawn
11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
When I worked for another company I did irrigation in a truck just like that with a pipe rack. Worked pretty good. But they also had a big van truck (think UPS) that was better in terms of walking in an looking for parts in the bins. But hauling long pipe and trailers wasn't its strong points.

Sounds like you need another truck so a service body would be the ticket.

LindblomRJ
11-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I just read through your other thread about the box truck. The storage inside the box would be nice. I would think setting up the box truck would take a bit of time, the end result would be handy.

A pipe rack on this and setting up a tow package this pickup would be as handy if not more so for irrigation, trees and pulling a bumper pull trailer.

KrayzKajun
11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
would be nice to have a truck pullling my skidsteer while, i pull my dump trailer.

mowerbrad
11-25-2012, 02:38 PM
I had a truck very similar to the 3/4 ton you are looking at, mine was just a 1998 GMC diesel but had a stahl service body on it. The big problem I found is that in Michigan those service bodies rust quickly...you don't have to worry about that like I do though seeing where you are located. But I will say that you can store all kinds of stuff in those service bodies and for irrigation that would be a very good truck to use.

TriCountyLawn
11-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I had a truck very similar to the 3/4 ton you are looking at, mine was just a 1998 GMC diesel but had a stahl service body on it. The big problem I found is that in Michigan those service bodies rust quickly...you don't have to worry about that like I do though seeing where you are located. But I will say that you can store all kinds of stuff in those service bodies and for irrigation that would be a very good truck to use.

Its crazy the shape of older trucks in the south. That truck here wouldn't have cab corners or brake lines ...(kinda like mine). haha Im so on the edge of taking a trip down south and picking up a 2wd truck for the mowing route..some good deals to be had.

whiffyspark
11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Get both.. Seriously.

Those are cheap trucks set utility truck up first, take your time setting the box van up
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a box truck and I have been really surprised at how bad the gas mileage is. Mine is a 96 ford E350 with a 14' box and my mileage is in the 7-8 MPG range. The box is nice and convenient to see everything spread out in front of you and there is tons of room but climbing in and out takes its toll. Also getting the shelving and tool hangers set up is costly and takes some time and no matter how much time you spend planning it two weeks later you are ready for a redesign. The only thing that it is better for is transporting plants. Plus everyone wants to borrow it to move with. My vote is for the Utility bed.

KrayzKajun
11-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Leaning towards the utility body. Definitly need a spare truck now. My dually is goin in the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

waters lawn care
11-29-2012, 01:32 PM
I will give you another angle to look at this scenario. When working on engine's most of box truck work is done from inside of truck versus raising the hood on the pickup truck.Personally i would want a service truck hope this helps.

KrayzKajun
11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I also like the idea of a service truck. Being i have a tractor,skidsteer, and maybe a mini excavator soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
I feel that for your situation, and reading through your previous post last week about the box truck that you should go with the utility body.

I have a 2006 GMC 2500hd crew cab 6' reg bed, and I only get 10mpg with the 6.0 engine. You may want to think about getting a utility body with a diesel.

If you really want to upgrade skid steers for this season, maybe that's what you should do because if im not mistaken you've been wanting to upgrade for the past few seasons. You can always try to trade the skid steer for a nicer truck and have the person with the truck add in cash. Then you can go buy a new skid steer, or used and get financing.

-michael

tnmtn
11-29-2012, 01:58 PM
I am making the same decision. So far I am leaning to a utility truck the only diffrence is I would like one that cover the bed so I can lock up things in the bed.

SRT8
11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
I have that exact same truck and love it. Its a 96 but it runs like new!

KrayzKajun
11-29-2012, 03:09 PM
I have that exact same truck and love it. Its a 96 but it runs like new!

Thats good to know. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

SRT8
11-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Thats good to know. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

They are perfect for irrigation, easy to access and organize parts.

KrayzKajun
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
They are perfect for irrigation, easy to access and organize parts.

Thts wht i was thinking. Ease for service calls and locking up saws/spare chains/ oil etc... For tree work
Posted via Mobile Device

cutbetterthanyou
12-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I vote service body. More versitile, and if your other truck breaks down you still have a truck to use. I wouldn't like using a box truck for running around in they are pretty big. I have a dump and never use it unless I have to. It's a pita to get around,backing up, and park .

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
What's the Dodge going in the shop for?
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
12-05-2012, 09:23 PM
What's the Dodge going in the shop for?
Posted via Mobile Device

last thursday had the tierod on drivers side snap and s linkage bracket break. got it back monday night, and brought it back tuesday becuz they didnt do an alignment, my a/c stopped blowing cold air and my engine light came on.. i had it out with the service manager.. so im driving around in 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab for afew days. im actually enjoying driving a normal sized truck.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-05-2012, 10:15 PM
last thursday had the tierod on drivers side snap and s linkage bracket break. got it back monday night, and brought it back tuesday becuz they didnt do an alignment, my a/c stopped blowing cold air and my engine light came on.. i had it out with the service manager.. so im driving around in 2012 Ram 1500 quad cab for afew days. im actually enjoying driving a normal sized truck.

Dang man, sorry to hear that all hit you at once. I hope they get it fixed right this time. How many miles are on the truck now?
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
12-05-2012, 10:41 PM
How many miles are on the truck now?
Posted via Mobile Device

33,000 miles.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I have 35,800. No problems so far....knock on wood.