PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a track loader.

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Hello,

I need help picking a track loader.

Ive picked up some big snow plowing accounts and need to buy a machine to cover them. I need a track skid steer anyway to Im going that route even though I know its not the best option for snow plowing.

Ive priced out a Bobcat T180 and a Tackahuchi 230. both have a enclosed cab, heat, a/c and radio. I can pick any single bucket I want. These are both the same price and both have the same financing options.

Im waiting on a price for a Cat 247 and 257 B

The Bobcat dealer is 15min from shop, the Tachahuchi dealer is an hour away and the cat dealer is an hour away.

Im going to use this 85% landscaping and 15% snow (if we get any).

Any thoughts? input?

Thank you

muddywater
11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
My vote is taki. I have had all of the ones you listed. If you look at cat , look at the 259, i would not own an mtl.

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
How come you don't like the MTL's? Ive never used one.

KrayzKajun
11-26-2012, 09:43 PM
My buddy has a cat 259b. Ive put almost 30hrs on it myself. Great machine. Im in the market myself, looking at the kubotas.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Nice, I like the Cat but its about 3k more than the others. The Kubota is a bigger machine than what I want although it does look like a nice machine. Im leaning towards the tak or Bobcat.

treemover
11-27-2012, 02:04 PM
here is my .02 and some things are going to want be to slap my mouth.:cry:

moons ago we switch from rubber tires to tracks....got a wide track t-190, had 1000hrs and loaded up, ran it for 2400hrs and 0 problems.
went to a 257 with 250hrs and loaded up, i got with bair aftermarket idlers all 8 and one new track. Ran it for 1000hr almost two years and i think I spent around 5-6k on it, just parts, we did all work in our shop. that being said, it was a decent machine, undercarriage sucked and a/c was worse.

So I started shopping last winter for a new machine, cat 259 great machine in my opinion, but a/c and door was the same as my 257, not spending 45k and being unhappy. looked at bigger cats 277 and 279, 277 still had undercarriage probs and a hell of a lot more moving parts then my 257! Was pretty much sold on a 279 till I had to go get parts for my 257(surprise surprise) and went in local dealers shop, they had 3 9(279,289,299) series cats in there all 3 had torsion axle problems and cat was not going to warranty them, cant remember somewhere in 8-9k range.
I looked at takis(dealer sucks I have a tak mini x and know all about them) looked at kubota and deere. Kubota are ugly, slow controls and seem a few years back in user friendly designs, but priced very good.
I ended up with a 329d deere, big and bad! It is very thirsty though!

To some up my novel, find a decent dealer(very important), they all have their problems. Correct me if i am wrong(not a lot of experience pushing snow thats is my down days and it does not happen very often) but a ctl is going to suck pushing snow, the cat would be the way to go for snow, but It will cost you a lot of money and downtime. I would look at bobcats(yuck) takis and deere maybe even throw in an alpha model case!

Good luck

KrayzKajun
11-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Plus no matter what machine you get. How the dealer service? Thats a big issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

muddywater
11-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Takis never break down.... ever. So you dont need a dealer close by. I have my own mechanics i would rather work on my stuff rather than the stealer anyway.

There is a reason why united rental keeps takis for 3000+ hours on the fleet rolls.

AWJ Services
11-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Takis never break down.... ever. So you dont need a dealer close by. I have my own mechanics i would rather work on my stuff rather than the stealer anyway.

There is a reason why united rental keeps takis for 3000+ hours on the fleet rolls.

I agree. Buy a proven machine. There are plenty of good machines out there. MTLs are just not one of them unless you own the dealership.LOL

bobcat_ron
11-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Takeuchi always rolls off my tongue easily when recommending a CTL to anyone. Cat is damn nice and the company's 277C is an animal. We even have counter weights now for the rear to keep it planted down when lifting cut slab concrete from tear out work we do. But the tracks and rollers are taking a heavy beating after 600+ hours. OMFG.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marek
11-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Thought you were a Deere guy ? The Deere is a decent machine if you can get them down on thier price. Tacki is a proven machine. Cab on the new bobcats are nice . Who is your Cat dealer over there ?

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanx for all of the great info!

I am a deere guy, buy JD wants 10% down up front mandatory and I don't want to outany money down, plus they are about 3k more than the others.

Im looking at these now:

2012 Bobcat T-180 cab a/c radio heat. 84" snow bucket and a 84" contractor bucket. Price 47,000 with .9% for 60 months.
2012 Cat 257B Cab a/c heat radio. 84 " caontractors bucket. price 47,700. with a free 3 yr 3000 hr powertrain & hydro warranty where they will come to my machine for the warrenty work for free. 1 yr full machine warranty. 1.9% 60 months
Takeuchi 230 full cab a/c heat radio 84 " bucket 44,850, but this has 40 demo hours on it. .9% 60 months.
2012 Deere 319D cab a/c radio suspention seat. 47,500 3.9 60 months 10% down.

Dealer wise:

Deere best service ever
Cat free mobile service for 3 yrs then Id have to pay for mobile service.
Taki 1 hr away. Never used them so dont know.
Bobcat horrible service dealer 25 min from me.

AEL
11-27-2012, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't be buying a new machine if I didn't have the capital to put 10% down ....
Posted via Mobile Device

SRT8
11-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Bobcat T180 for $47k???
You can buy a used one with less than 1000hrs for under $20k with enclosed cab.
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
11-28-2012, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't be buying a new machine if I didn't have the capital to put 10% down ....
Posted via Mobile Device

If that was the case I would be using a shovel.

Seriously you should always use finacing rather than your own capital unless the interest rates are really high or your rich.

mxridernorth
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
My Tak TL140 has been problem free and it's now got 2600 hours on it. The rear four rollers on the undercarriage need replacement as the flanges are getting very thin but I'm fairly certain they are all original. Although I could just get away with replacing those, I'm going to replace everything as I can see this machine easily going another 2500 hours.

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-28-2012, 06:51 AM
TSS- Its not that I dont have the capital to put down 10% its that I choose not to. When they have .9% for 5 years with 100% financing with the other brands theres no need to put 10% down if I dont have to.

M&S Yeah Ive seen around 20k for a used machine. They dont have one, but they are out there. Im thinking used would be better since I wouldnt be using it that much.

Marek
11-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I liked the Deere but they were close to 5 k more and a higher intrest rate when we bought also. I also like the Bobcat machine but will not ever deal with GE for finacing EVER !! So I shoped the best Bobcat deal the sent it to my Cat guy and he went way under bobcats price and did it at 0 for 60 months with 10 percent down. In the long run we saved 5k over the best Bobcat deal.This time of year most used machines disapear around here as everyone buys them up for snow. Look here for some local used machines http://www.albancat.com/Cat-A-Thon.htm

SRT8
11-28-2012, 10:43 AM
TSS- Its not that I dont have the capital to put down 10% its that I choose not to. When they have .9% for 5 years with 100% financing with the other brands theres no need to put 10% down if I dont have to.

M&S Yeah Ive seen around 20k for a used machine. They dont have one, but they are out there. Im thinking used would be better since I wouldnt be using it that much.

If you aren't goin to be using it that much definantly buy used, having a $1,000 monthly payment for 5 years can be tough when things slow down.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Im leaning toward buying a truck and putting on a plow now. I was going to add another truck to my fleet in the Spring, so nows a good time to do it.

If I go with a skid steer I do think used is the way to go.

Marek
11-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Did you ever buy a aluminum body 550?

ClassicLawnCareInc
11-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Yup yup I just put up pics in the pics section this afternoon.