PDA

View Full Version : Driving Range fussy after $800 invoice

adam.neusbaum
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Aeration $69, Topdressing 10 cubic yards $550, Lesco perennial winter-rye seed $240. After all that & they only water once a day? Its no wonder so little came up.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
11-27-2012, 03:35 PM
1. I do not deal with any job where I do not have total control over the irrigation system. It makes everyone a fool not to.

2. If during a job, where I have control over the irrigation system, unauthorized changes are made to system operation or equipment-FIRED.

I will take total responsibility for the outcome of a job. However, counterproductive conditions or sabotage is not tolerated.

adam.neusbaum
11-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Well here it is going on 10:30 & I'm out at the driving range spreading another 50# of rye($39 annual this time) & watering it in with a hose sprinkler. Their irrigation is some big gas powered so im not messing with that tonight. Would love to have some rain. Seed would grow & id be more apt to get paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
11-28-2012, 12:24 AM
What I have seen local lawn installers do is commandeer a hose bib, run battery operated valves, temporary water lines, sprinklers and control the watering. They charge like heck for the lawn install, but the grass comes up guaranteed.

newz7151
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
why.. does a driving range need pretty grass anyway?

easy-lift guy
11-28-2012, 05:13 AM
why.. does a driving range need pretty grass anyway?

This time of of year in Florida over seeding with winter rye helps to attract the tourist from else where to visit and play golf.
easy-lift guy

greendoctor
11-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Which is why I understand the frustration of the OP. He is expected to produce grass while the customer is being an impediment to success.

easy-lift guy
11-28-2012, 05:51 AM
I suspect no easy fix for this situation Adam. Advise by greendoctor is spot on for the future!
easy-lift guy

Smallaxe
11-28-2012, 07:15 AM
There is a driving range that gets no more help except from suckers and lowballers...

BTW,,, Why does warm season turf use Perenial Rye for winter green,,, in the first place???

Richard Martin
11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
BTW,,, Why does warm season turf use Perenial Rye for winter green,,, in the first place???

It serves the same purpose as annual rye. It WILL die when the summer temps hit. The reasons I switch up and mix different grass seed types together are these.

Mixing seed types will often yield a different color grass. Annual rye is almost a neon green color. I really don't care for the color. Mixing darker green grass in tends to look better. I've used K-31 and standard tall fescues to get a darker green result.

Annual rye also tends to die out relatively quickly once warm temps hit it. What you can get is a period of time of about 6 weeks where there is no green in the lawn. The warm season grass is just starting to green up and the annual rye is dying off. By mixing in perennial grass types they tend to die off later than annual rye. You get a much shorter and can sometimes eliminate the period where there is no green in the lawn.

I mix my seeds at a 50-50 ratio. In addition to annual rye I've tried perennial rye, K-31 and tall fescues. My preference is tall fescue.

I offer no warranty of any type for overseeding. Since I have no control over watering schedules or Mother Nature, it is totally unfair to expect me to be responsible for whether the seed germinates or not. I explain this to my customers and have never gotten a complaint. Even if my customers have irrigation I still won't be held responsible. I cannot lock the irrigation schedule into the timers so the customers can't change them. I use high quality, certified seed when possible. The customer is welcome to inspect the product that I use at any time.

This is the usual result from my overseeding.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=242991&d=1332148542

Smallaxe
11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Understood... Excellent reply... Thanks... :)