PDA

View Full Version : Scag Mowers

Monroe'sLawnCare
11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Everybody,
I know I posted a few weeks back about trying to decide btw exmark or JD, and i got a lot of great responses. Thank you again.

While i was at my local dealer the other day looking at the exmarks, i couldnt help but keep looking at the scag's. I am curious to see what you all think of the freedom z 52' or 60'. The price is right i know that much.

I know its considerred entry level, but i am entry level, and can't decide if its worth the extra $$ to upgrade and get the tiger cat. Thanks ahead of time for your response.

T Scapes
11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
upgrade to the tiger cat i bought one this year and love it i got the 61in deck with the 27 kawi i love how big the discharge chute is plenty of power you wont regret it

RSK Property Maintenance
11-27-2012, 09:26 PM
go with the tiger cat and you most likely will want to go with a 61" mower. it probably holds more fuel, probably goes faster, has bigger engines to offer.

Jimslawncareservice
11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Freedom has a 6.5 gallon gas tank. 8.5 mph and 10 mph on 61" models. Does not have a velocity plus deck.
With the cat you get more gas capacity more speed and best of all the velocity deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
11-27-2012, 10:57 PM
It's well worth upgrading to the Tiger Cat.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazyflyboy30
11-27-2012, 11:09 PM
I like the Freedom SZ 61 it has Dual ZT-3400 Hydro-Gear Transaxles 10 MPH SFZ61 30hp B&S Professional Series w/ Cyclonic Air ,All very good but only one thing is the Heavy-duty blade drive spindles are no't so heavy duty.

orangemower
11-28-2012, 07:10 AM
If you're just getting started, get the Cat. Being where you're at, I'd definitely get the 61 deck. The properties in your area are larger then say ones that are in the bigger cities.

PLS-Tx
11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
The Fredom Z wil not hold up very well IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Evolution IX
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Def upgrade to Tiger Cat.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazyflyboy30
12-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Only thing I do no't like about the Tiger Cat.Is the Tiger Cat.
is 27hp the Freedom Z has 30hp what is wrong with this picture.

Exmarkboy13
12-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Overbuilt in the wrong areas. overpriced. stiff controls and ride. have a quite afew hours on alot of their machines. my friend has a freedom z. nothing special. Not a fan of their machines. Youll be very happy with John Deere. Their 7 iron II deck is known as one of the best decks in the industry, being able to handle alot of different conditions. The exmarks CUT good, but only in near perfect conditions. Diverse conditions with weeds, tall grass, and moisture make you want to burn the machine when you have to triple cut to disperse the clippings. They do however have alot of suction.

Jimslawncareservice
12-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Only thing I do no't like about the Tiger Cat.Is the Tiger Cat.
is 27hp the Freedom Z has 30hp what is wrong with this picture.

That's a 30 briggs and stratton professional engine. Not built as good as the 27hp kawi in the cat.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazyflyboy30
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
For $7000 you can get a Bod boy http://www.badboymowers.com/view/outlaw-lawn-mower a Scag to = the bad boy is $9000

T Scapes
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Overbuilt in the wrong areas. overpriced. stiff controls and ride. have a quite afew hours on alot of their machines. my friend has a freedom z. nothing special. Not a fan of their machines. Youll be very happy with John Deere. Their 7 iron II deck is known as one of the best decks in the industry, being able to handle alot of different conditions. The exmarks CUT good, but only in near perfect conditions. Diverse conditions with weeds, tall grass, and moisture make you want to burn the machine when you have to triple cut to disperse the clippings. They do however have alot of suction.

idk where your getting alot of this i paid 9k for my tiger cat with a 61in deck and 27 kawi i just got quote on a deere and it was right near a scag so idk where its over price. The velocity deck is considered by alot of people ot cut grass in all condition very well with the wide discharge chute. The controls are still and exmarks are touchy as can be so its all about what you prefer to run. I switched from exmark to scag. Overbuilt in the wrong areas? frame is built like a tank im pretty sure that an important part of a machine. Ill take a machine thats overbuilt over under built any day of the week. oh the the suspension seat makes the ride smooth as can be and most dealers will give it to you for free.

EverestLandscape
12-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Ive got a JD with the mulch on demand deck so I dont blow grass into beds and such...plus the 7 iron deck really is well built and cuts well. The regular 7 iron deck (not the mulch on demand) does disperse grass better. I catch nothing except in the fall so side discharge was my number 1 concern. Ive been looking at scag for my next ztr just because the money I paid for my JD, I feel I could have saved a couple grand and got more in terms of the velocity deck and the opening. To each his own, demo everything out there.

mowcrazy
12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
I am a tried and true scag guy who has been around a while. We have tried a lot of the top brand mowers around and when we went with scag it stopped us in our tracks!! We love them, and Yes GO WITH THE TIGER CAT!!!!!!! You will be glad you did. For one Im almost positive that your gonna get a suspension seat........ That seat is over $600 bucks! Its worth every darn penny to. Your gonna get wider tires which ride a lot nicer to.

We have had the scag turf tigers and they are BIG. for us Id rather go with a machine that is as light as possible but still get the best of both worlds which is offered with the tiger cat. You still get the 61" cut and a nice ride. All we had with our turf tigers was a mower that got stuck much easier in wet conditions and a little more speed and power which is not needed in weekly and every other week cutting.

As for the john deere Ive personally never owned one but I will tell you this. We is a very well known and like contractor in my area that went from John deer to Scag and he said he will not look back! He said that the cut was very similar since the 7iron and velocity are so similar but comparing price he can buy the tiger cat for around a grand less in my area and still thinks its a better mower. This guy also has been around for a long while. Im just passing that info along second hand but for us (ive been in business 14yrs now) those little tiger cats are VERY HARD TO BEAT! That 27 hp motor your talking about is what we have and all 3 of my have over 2000 hours. One had a head gasket start leaking but other than that no problems AT ALL! also, unless your mowing very tall grass your not going to bog that engine down. We do weekly and every other week cuts and we have never had power problems!!!

mowcrazy
12-12-2012, 03:50 PM
For $7000 you can get a Bod boy http://www.badboymowers.com/view/outlaw-lawn-mower a Scag to = the bad boy is $9000

Im sure that in some areas these bad boy mowers are decent but im a lot of areas with not perfect conditions (weedy, wet, etc) these mowers SUCK with a capital S U C K! the machine is nice but there deck designs got a LONG WAY TO GO before they are a velocity or 7iron. We demoed one side by side with my scag tiger cat with over 2000 hrs on it and my scag did so much better of a job we didnt even keep the badboy the whole day. We just took it back.....

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I am a tried and true scag guy who has been around a while. We have tried a lot of the top brand mowers around and when we went with scag it stopped us in our tracks!! We love them, and Yes GO WITH THE TIGER CAT!!!!!!! You will be glad you did. For one Im almost positive that your gonna get a suspension seat........ That seat is over $600 bucks! Its worth every darn penny to. Your gonna get wider tires which ride a lot nicer to.

We have had the scag turf tigers and they are BIG. for us Id rather go with a machine that is as light as possible but still get the best of both worlds which is offered with the tiger cat. You still get the 61" cut and a nice ride. All we had with our turf tigers was a mower that got stuck much easier in wet conditions and a little more speed and power which is not needed in weekly and every other week cutting.

As for the john deere Ive personally never owned one but I will tell you this. We is a very well known and like contractor in my area that went from John deer to Scag and he said he will not look back! He said that the cut was very similar since the 7iron and velocity are so similar but comparing price he can buy the tiger cat for around a grand less in my area and still thinks its a better mower. This guy also has been around for a long while. Im just passing that info along second hand but for us (ive been in business 14yrs now) those little tiger cats are VERY HARD TO BEAT! That 27 hp motor your talking about is what we have and all 3 of my have over 2000 hours. One had a head gasket start leaking but other than that no problems AT ALL! also, unless your mowing very tall grass your not going to bog that engine down. We do weekly and every other week cuts and we have never had power problems!!!

I would agree unless you mow alot of slopes. The TT having the fuel tank below the seat, and wider stance gives the best hillside capabilities.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blades Lawn Maintenance
12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
The only thing I didn't not like about the tiger at is how stiff the controls felt to me... Idk maybe it was just me but that and a couple of other things

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-12-2012, 09:59 PM
From my short experience dealing with engine hp, Kawasaki is the closest to true, followed by Briggs/Stratton, and then Kohler is usually 3-4 hp off. Someone can definitely say it better than I can, but usually it has to do with the torque that the engines have more than the hp.

-Michael

crazyflyboy30
12-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Im sure that in some areas these bad boy mowers are decent but im a lot of areas with not perfect conditions (weedy, wet, etc) these mowers SUCK with a capital S U C K! the machine is nice but there deck designs got a LONG WAY TO GO before they are a velocity or 7iron. We demoed one side by side with my scag tiger cat with over 2000 hrs on it and my scag did so much better of a job we didnt even keep the badboy the whole day. We just took it back.....

Must no't got a mower the new Armortek5.http://www.badboymowers.com/view/lawn-mower-deck

GMLC
12-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Must no't got a mower the new Armortek5.http://www.badboymowers.com/view/lawn-mower-deck

I would suggest you read some BB reviews on this site. If you can find some that have not been deleted....

crazyflyboy30
12-13-2012, 09:45 AM
From my short experience dealing with engine hp, Kawasaki is the closest to true, followed by Briggs/Stratton, and then Kohler is usually 3-4 hp off. Someone can definitely say it better than I can, but usually it has to do with the torque that the engines have more than the hp.

-Michael

You are so right I have a 26hp Kohler and 28hp Briggs/Stratton 810cc the 28hp Briggs/Stratton will cut circle around the Kohler there is a lot more than 2hp difference hear.

mowcrazy
12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I would agree unless you mow alot of slopes. The TT having the fuel tank below the seat, and wider stance gives the best hillside capabilities.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bazinga!!!!! I definetly can see that for sure.

I guess another instance would be if you needed a little faster mower but honestly most times I hardly ever run my cat full throttle.

We actually demoed one of the turf tigers with one of the diesel engines and Ill tell ya that thing was so heavy you could run it FAST and it wouldn bounce you around bad at all compared to my cat but dog gone it was like 4K more. That and every time Id turn that thing around you would run into the stink of diesel. Some ppl love that smell but UUUggghhh. Not I!

Definetly perks to each one thats for sure!!

mowcrazy
12-13-2012, 10:17 AM
The only thing I didn't not like about the tiger at is how stiff the controls felt to me... Idk maybe it was just me but that and a couple of other things

I couldnt agree more about the controls. I went from exmark to scag and there was definetly a big difference but here is a little info I can share. First off, you will get used to that in no time. Atleast I did. And this is the big kicker for me. The transition of power to the drive tires is so much more smooth because you cant just yank the controls back which in turn KEEPS YOU FROM SPINNING so much when turning around. Not that I did it much with the exmark but in a damp yard it was very easy to do with the exmark and I noticed with the stiffer controls on the scag the power transition engaged slower and I didnt have this problem AS MUCH. Hell I still do it every once in a while.

There is nothing wrong with exmark mowers especially in treated yards with light weeds, and the big one which is NO MOISTURE!. I mow a few treated banks and honestly I think that the exmarks left a better cut there but those yards were the only ones that looked even close to as good but In my area you hardly ever get anyone to treat and fert........

Monroe'sLawnCare
12-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to go with the Tiger Cat!

I got a great deal on it. The dealer had a demo unit with 68hrs on it that they had just put up for sale. I got it for $7200 with full warranty!

RTR Landscaping
12-25-2012, 02:48 AM
You bought a great mower. Scag is simply the best.:clapping: