PDA

View Full Version : Mowers Running?

Lawnzoo
11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I am new to business and have overheard others within the business state they keep mowers running on and inside of trailers all day. Is this the norm SOP?

Darryl G
11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
I would say no it's not the norm. I will sometimes leave a mower running on my open trailer this time of year on my way to my first account just to warm it up before use. Leaving mowers running in an enclosed trailer is a bad idea and should never be done.

HPI_Savage25
11-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't ever leave a mower running while on the trailer, much less IN a trailer. I have an enclosed trailer and dump inside. Even when the trailer starts getting full I also turn the mower around so the motor/exhaust is no where near the grass or leaves as to not start a fire.

Durabird02
11-28-2012, 11:30 AM
I have left my rider running while going between jobs, but only with an open trailers. I would not let it run all day, just for short drives.

wegomow
11-28-2012, 11:35 AM
According to Kohler,.....It is recommended to warm an engine for 3 minute before use. Allow the engine to run at idle for one minute after use to let it reach normal operating temperature if it was run hard. Running a warm engine at idle for longer periods can cause the plugs to foul.

Lawnzoo
11-28-2012, 01:01 PM
what's the purpose? To save battery??

dstifel
11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
WHen it is cold out i usually start my mower at my house and let it run to the first job just because a lot of my stuff is old and cold blooded and can sometime be a pain to start the first time each day. Keeps you from looking bad in front of customers trying to get it started after a 20 degree night.

Patriot Services
11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Wasting gas, fire threat, bad for aircooled engines, increased pollution. Not a single reason to do it. If your engine doesn't start when cold get it fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
11-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Talk about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning!

They must make some horrible stripes on their properties inhaling smoke all day.

-Michael

yardguy28
11-28-2012, 06:25 PM
According to Kohler,.....It is recommended to warm an engine for 3 minute before use. Allow the engine to run at idle for one minute after use to let it reach normal operating temperature if it was run hard. Running a warm engine at idle for longer periods can cause the plugs to foul.

besides you, can you tell me anyone else you know who actually follows those guide lines on a pretty normal basis?

i start using all my equipment as soon as i fire it up with the exception of the first property on a cold morning. on those cold morning i will let them warm up a bit before going full throttle.

but in the spring and summer as soon as the key is turned or starter pulled and the engine is fired it's up to full throttle and off i go. mowers, trimmers, blowers, edgers, hedge trimmers, etc.

when finished all handhelds are shut off immediately and put away, mowers usually get a ride back to the trailer at half throttle depending on how far away i am or at least a ride up the trailer ramp at half throttle and then shut off as soon as it's parked.

i've never had issues with equipment for the way i run them nor can i see a real reason to be letting your equipment run on the trailer between jobs.

i will note i run kawasaki engines not kohler engines and if this is some requirement of kohler engines then may i never own one.

dstifel
11-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I have an open trailer would never do it in enclosed. Patriot plan on rebuilding this winter thanks for the great advice though. Swear some people on this site either started with brand new shiny equipment or forget what it is like to start up on your own with no financial backing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Wasting gas, fire threat, bad for aircooled engines, increased pollution. Not a single reason to do it. If your engine doesn't start when cold get it fixed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy for someone on the Pacific coast of Florida to say, lol. Have you ever tried starting a Kawi engine when it's 20 degrees out? They're really cold hearted, especially when it's a hydro machine and you're not only turning over the engine but the hydros too. Gotta get them warmed up and the fluids thinned out a bit.

Patriot Services
11-28-2012, 06:46 PM
I have an open trailer would never do it in enclosed. Patriot plan on rebuilding this winter thanks for the great advice though. Swear some people on this site either started with brand new shiny equipment or forget what it is like to start up on your own with no financial backing. I had plenty of well used stuff over the years. Thank god I've got the genes from career mechanic, welder, fabricator, carpenters.
Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't mean to sound slammy. I grew up in Buffalo pulling recoils on everything from snowblower, snowmobiles to dragging a torpedo heater around a truck yard in January. I was just pointing out most engines have chokes that when properly adjusted make life a whole lot easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
11-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Easy for someone on the Pacific coast of Florida to say, lol. Have you ever tried starting a Kawi engine when it's 20 degrees out? They're really cold hearted, especially when it's a hydro machine and you're not only turning over the engine but the hydros too. Gotta get them warmed up and the fluids thinned out a bit.

Don't be hatin. I had frost on the windshield last week. This week is hitting 80's in the afternoon.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
11-28-2012, 06:57 PM
we have electric start which work great, beats the old hand cranks.

Richard Martin
11-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Didn't mean to sound slammy. I grew up in Buffalo pulling recoils on everything from snowblower, snowmobiles to dragging a torpedo heater around a truck yard in January. I was just pointing out most engines have chokes that when properly adjusted make life a whole lot easier.

I used to have a Kohler 14 that I had straight 30 weight oil in. Until the first winter. That thing was a beast to try to pull start. Then I put 10w30 in it.

I never let an engine run between jobs. It burns up gas and hours on the meter.

wegomow
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
besides you, can you tell me anyone else you know who actually follows those guide lines on a pretty normal basis?

i start using all my equipment as soon as i fire it up with the exception of the first property on a cold morning. on those cold morning i will let them warm up a bit before going full throttle.

but in the spring and summer as soon as the key is turned or starter pulled and the engine is fired it's up to full throttle and off i go. mowers, trimmers, blowers, edgers, hedge trimmers, etc.

when finished all handhelds are shut off immediately and put away, mowers usually get a ride back to the trailer at half throttle depending on how far away i am or at least a ride up the trailer ramp at half throttle and then shut off as soon as it's parked.

i've never had issues with equipment for the way i run them nor can i see a real reason to be letting your equipment run on the trailer between jobs.

i will note i run kawasaki engines not kohler engines and if this is some requirement of kohler engines then may i never own one.

Who else warms their engines? Hmm, NASCAR drivers, pilots, truck drivers, boat owners, every piece of machinery the US Military has. It's a good practice and a fact. if you don't that's your choice. I am surprised that those fantastic Kawasaki engines don't require a warm up.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
11-28-2012, 08:12 PM
With 13hp Kawasaki on a 36" walk behind I start it up, then get my gloves and ears on, and then walk the mower over to my starting point which usually kills 1.5-2 minutes. It's good practice to give your machine time to warm up, if I don't I could be half way through a front yard before my machine is even ready to perform at its peak ability.

-Michael

Darryl G
11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Who else warms their engines? Hmm, NASCAR drivers, pilots, truck drivers, boat owners, every piece of machinery the US Military has. It's a good practice and a fact. if you don't that's your choice. I am surprised that those fantastic Kawasaki engines don't require a warm up.
They do...he just likes to be contrary I think. :laugh:

yardguy28
11-28-2012, 08:42 PM

hmmm I've been starting my days with the highs being like mid 20's. my 52" grandstand fires right up just like a mid summer day. it has a kawi engine.

I do let it warm up a bit before actually using it though but that's more because if I don't it dies when I go to engage the blades.

they might say in the manual but I don't read manuals.

Darryl G
11-28-2012, 08:49 PM
they might say in the manual but I don't read manuals.

I remember you saying you read one recently which prompted you to use higher octane gas...which you said you'd never do. You're loosing credibility here :p

Toro 455
11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I am new to business and have overheard others within the business state they keep mowers running on and inside of trailers all day. Is this the norm SOP?

I'd say someone is either trying to sabatoge your business or get you killed. When taking avice you always have to consider the source.

yardguy28
11-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I remember you saying you read one recently which prompted you to use higher octane gas...which you said you'd never do. You're loosing credibility here :p

yeah i did on a new piece of equipment. but that was a handheld and i was bored. i'd never read a mower manual. they all operate the same.