PDA

View Full Version : Better Leaf Loader? Lesco or Billy Goat

limaint
11-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Looking to replace an old billy goat leaf loader...was thinking of the same 18hp billy goat unit...sells for about $3300 without the truck mount. But I just came across a Lesco 20hp unit for $3300 with the truck mount and 0% financing... Just wasnt sure which way to go...? would appreciate any input...

gene gls
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Last I knew, Billy Goat had a wear liner in the blower housing and Lesco didn't. The housing always wears a hole through when you have the least amount of time to fix it.

White Gardens
11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd look into a Little Wonder. Heard nothing but good things about those and the Talon Ring.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
11-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Some claim I'm biased but I don't see it. ;)

It all depends on what you're most interested in. The Lesco unit is a Parker with green paint and is low cost but you get what you pay for. It's made by Ariens/Gravely who bought out Parker about 4 years ago. You can find the same unit under Parker and Gravely but with different paints.

The Billy Goat is made by Billy Goat (+/-100 employees, Lee's Summit, MO.), has 3/8" armor plate impeller with serrated edges as well as the sharpened Piranha blade in the center of the hub. We're the only ones with dual shredding technology that has the highest debris reduction in the industry. All of our DL's have replaceable liners as well as multiple accessories so you can build the unit to fit your needs but not pay for features you don't use or need for your application.

Review the units closely and ask for a demo if you're still not convinced of which unit to buy. A demo shuts up loud mouths like me and lets the products speak for themselves.

Here's a fun video we made a month ago for a 35hp DL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmdFMwDTE2g

Landscraper1
11-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Some claim I'm biased but I don't see it. ;)

It all depends on what you're most interested in. The Lesco unit is a Parker with green paint and is low cost but you get what you pay for. It's made by Ariens/Gravely who bought out Parker about 4 years ago. You can find the same unit under Parker and Gravely but with different paints.

The Billy Goat is made by Billy Goat (+/-100 employees, Lee's Summit, MO.), has 3/8" armor plate impeller with serrated edges as well as the sharpened Piranha blade in the center of the hub. We're the only ones with dual shredding technology that has the highest debris reduction in the industry. All of our DL's have replaceable liners as well as multiple accessories so you can build the unit to fit your needs but not pay for features you don't use or need for your application.

Review the units closely and ask for a demo if you're still not convinced of which unit to buy. A demo shuts up loud mouths like me and lets the products speak for themselves.

Here's a fun video we made a month ago for a 35hp DL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmdFMwDTE2g

I am in a good position to give advice on this issue. I own 3 Billy Goat and 3 Lesco loaders. Love both. the last three I purchased were the Lescos. Reason is the Billy Goat chute to the truck. The elbow wears thin and cracks.

The lesco elbow lasts much longer and because it is a square chute, it's easy to repair. The Billy Goat, being a round chute, can't be easily repaired. You have to buy a new elbow, which isn't cheap. If it wasn't for that issue I would still have continued to purchase Billy Goats.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Landscaper1,

That's a fair comment. In some applications elbows wear and I can see your point about being easier to repair if it's flat. Depending on the Billy Goat units you have the new DL series has thicker steel and a wider opening to allow the debris to slow and wear substantially less than the older TR and HTR series. Also, unless the Lesco units you have were bought recently they were probably made by Salsco as Lesco changed their loader offering to the Parker/Gravely brand a year or two ago.

Landscraper1
11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I know about the Lesco change. The last Lesco I purchased was a salsco built, my Dealer had to hunt down for me. I find the Parker's to be bulky but, they do also have the square chute, which I like.

At this point, I don't know what will be the next loader I will buy. There are no Salsco dealers anywhere near us. I may give billy Goat another look. I will have to find out how much more that thicker steel elbow will cost. Even if it lasts longer, it still will have to be replaced at some time.

bob burns
12-13-2012, 10:48 PM
$2500 only has 4 hours on it and has truck mounts

lawnboy dan
12-14-2012, 08:44 AM
why do people have to be reminded lesco is out of biz?

Landscraper1
12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
why do people have to be reminded lesco is out of biz?

Lesco is not "out of biz". They were bought out by John Deere. Still have been purchasing Lesco branded products throughout this past year. Slowly fazing out the name.

lawnboy dan
12-15-2012, 09:02 AM
they are selling off the left over units. lesco is not in biz anymore. the lesco stores are now john deere green services or something like it. partrs will be a problem in the future.

SDLandscapes VT
12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
If you have a third party option I would strongly suggest you look at a monster. I owned a billy goat and we had no problems, but when we needed an upgrade, the billy goat offering wasn't built in a way that would allow it to work for our application without modification right from the get go. We bought a monster trailer mount subaru 28 HP EFI 12" loader and have been very happy. While the billygoat does have the piranha blade, we found that the reduction was better with the monster. Further more both my dealer and I were amazed at how much more ruggedly the monster construction was compared to the billy goat.
just something to consider

bobbycat02
01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
We use billy goat all the way we are on our 2nd unit 1st bought in 1998 one lasted 8 plus years replaced housing and impeller and housing after 6 yrs and used it for two more years than sold it for 750.00 then bought new in 2008. Hint we only use it for fall clean ups so it last a lot longer. We do our clean ups so well in the fall there no need to use it in spring why spend 3,500 for 35 to 45 days well simple you will do more leave jobs in fall than spring besides leaves left all winter and wet springs are always hard to suck up anyway and it will get you in shape for the new season ahead.:usflag: