PDA

View Full Version : season ends today...

gcbailey
11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Well, finished the last clean up today. We managed to get 2 extra weeks out of the season this fall. Not too bad. Temps are supposed to be in the 60's tomorrow and mild next week.... Might be something to this global warming after all! haha ;)

andyslawncare
11-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Must be nice. Our season never ends. 3 days off for Thanksgiving, 1 week off for Christmas, 1 week off in February, every Sunday off, and off on bank holidays--other than this there is work to do.

gcbailey
11-29-2012, 07:34 PM
my two full time guys are glad it's over, they have put a lot in this year and deserve a break... till the snow starts (if it does).

orangemower
11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Must be nice. Our season never ends. 3 days off for Thanksgiving, 1 week off for Christmas, 1 week off in February, every Sunday off, and off on bank holidays--other than this there is work to do.

It's hard to complain about having a full season of work.

herler
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I used to bust my tail spring and fall, then have hardly any work summer and winter.

One day I came up with...
Winter and summer projects, or how not to bust my butt during busy season...
Stay busy year round, never work dawn to dusk again, take a day off anytime, and always have money.
Well, almost...

Have any customers who want work done they don't want to spend a lot of money on?
I tell them can we compromise, I'll do it when I'm slow, it's cheaper that way.
Oh boy!

I also learned how to defer certain types of equipment maintenance for those slow periods.
A lot of annual maintenance gets done during those times, also I make sure all my equipment is back to running shape.

During busy season a machine breaks down, if it's something simple fine but if it isn't, grab the spare and put it off until slow days.
Why I have spare machines, granted it does blow a bit when the spare goes down too.
But then I fix the easier one.

Everybody wins.
I have work year round.
They get what they want done, cheap.
I have time to work on my equipment (which also saves money as I get to shop around for the parts)
And I don't have to bust my balls during busy season.

Not to mention higher customer retention because less people getting pissed off where the hell is that lawn guy!?

orangemower
11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
I used to bust my tail spring and fall, then have hardly any work summer and winter.

One day I came up with...
Winter and summer projects, or how not to bust my butt during busy season...
Stay busy year round, never work dawn to dusk again, take a day off anytime, and always have money.
Well, almost...

Have any customers who want work done they don't want to spend a lot of money on?
I tell them can we compromise, I'll do it when I'm slow, it's cheaper that way.
Oh boy!

I also learned how to defer certain types of equipment maintenance for those slow periods.
A lot of annual maintenance gets done during those times, also I make sure all my equipment is back to running shape.

During busy season a machine breaks down, if it's something simple fine but if it isn't, grab the spare and put it off until slow days.
Why I have spare machines, granted it does blow a bit when the spare goes down too.
But then I fix the easier one.

Everybody wins.
I have work year round.
They get what they want done, cheap.
I have time to work on my equipment (which also saves money as I get to shop around for the parts)
And I don't have to bust my balls during busy season.

Not to mention higher customer retention because less people getting pissed off where the hell is that lawn guy!?

How is making a living year round have anything to do with up keep on equipment? You're not getting paid to "work" on your equipment. You're not doing yourself any good sitting around waiting until it's slow to fill in the time working for nothing. Besides, you said before that your equipment gets regular maintenance all the time.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Finished my last mow job Weds, so also done for the year here. Would consider going out this weekend for a cleanup if one of my good customers call, since its supposed to be pretty mild. After that I would turn down the work until spring, just too cold outside.

gcbailey
12-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Finished my last mow job Weds, so also done for the year here. Would consider going out this weekend for a cleanup if one of my good customers call, since its supposed to be pretty mild. After that I would turn down the work until spring, just too cold outside.

I can't believe how mild it's been here. We got over 2' of snow when Sandy came through, but since then, extremely mild. Been in the 50's all week, supposed to be in the 60's through the middle of next week, then back to the 50's. No complaints here.

I will be able to get the guys to round up a bunch of firewood if they want to. We have always been approached by homeowners "do you sell firewood"?

J & D Greens
12-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Well it has been so mild our leaves have just completely fallen. I just have a couple minor jobs left. Then let it snow! Then I'll be out clearing walks.
I already have winterized half of my equipment, so once things are done. I will be doing my honey-do list in my spare time.

herler
12-03-2012, 01:46 AM
How is making a living year round have anything to do with up keep on equipment? You're not getting paid to "work" on your equipment. You're not doing yourself any good sitting around waiting until it's slow to fill in the time working for nothing. Besides, you said before that your equipment gets regular maintenance all the time.

Well it's like this...

The day the season ends...
Is the day the next one starts.

So it really never ends, other than perhaps for tax and fiscal purposes.