PDA

View Full Version : Doing Demos....

fakie99
11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
good afternoon -

wondering how some of you guys are handling demos. my experience has been that demos generally sell the deal, but the setup can be cumbersome - especially on 20+ fixture projects. getting a transformer on site and wiring it together looks pretty busy with all the wire laying exposed, although we have a document we leave with folks explaining that what they see isn't quite the "finished product".

somewhere i saw on this forum guys running led fixtures on 9v batteries for demos, or preparing 15-20' sections of wire with quick connects, etc.

what time saving measures have you guys taken to do demos in the most efficient manner? and thank you in advance.

jm

JHFMX
11-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Jim, A car battery works pretty well if you didn't want to deal with a transformer. Oddly enough that's how landscape lighting got it's start. A tractor headlight shining in a tree.

I think if you have it dark enough in the evening the wire isn't even that big of a deal though. Saving time on it. That's the million dollar question!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Jim, do a search on Demos on this forum and you will find a TON of information and discussions. There is a wealth of information here, most of which the 'regulars' have pretty much beaten to death.

Lite4
11-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Agreed, the archives are rich in information. My demo kit has up to 30 fixtures that I can set up and take down in about 20 min. Exposed wire is not a big deal....it's a demo, what do they expect? Just tape or stake down wires running across sidewalks and driveways and make the homeowner aware of them so they don't trip.

Mike M
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Jim, I agree with Tim. I tried portable LED fixtures w/9v batteries, but I prefer the cables for many reasons.

I also discovered that the cables help give a quick structure to build from, with a nice moving flow.

By the way, the quick-connects become limiting, you'll end up hacking off the ends for splices with multiple leads and for use with new fixtures.

Mike

Lite4
12-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Jim, I agree with Tim. I tried portable LED fixtures w/9v batteries, but I prefer the cables for many reasons.

I also discovered that the cables help give a quick structure to build from, with a nice moving flow.

By the way, the quick-connects become limiting, you'll end up hacking off the ends for splices with multiple leads and for use with new fixtures.

Mike

Mike, are you using your demo fixtures for new installs, thus cutting off the quick connects? My demo fixtures are only used for that purpose with the quick connect on them. I can attach multiple fixtures with my quick connects on single runs. There is no need to cut and splice anymore. PM me if you want a good quick connect system that is fast, easy and expandable.

fakie99
12-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Mike

Thanks for all the responses gentlemen -

jim