PDA

View Full Version : Moving Objects For Fall Cleanups

longislandlawn
12-01-2012, 02:26 PM
I am new to the business, do you guys move large heavy objects to cleanup leaves, like firewood, pallets of pavers, construction debris, etc. I have encountered things like this on properties for fall cleanups, and have tried my best to clean up as much as possible around them.

Sprinkler Buddy
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I take my blower and blow out the beds, corners, and around any obstacles that I can't get into with my mowers.

I move nothing physically unless it's something easy and only takes a minute to move.

zackvbra
12-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I tell all my clients in my contract as well as speaking to them it is their responsibility to keep non vegetation items (i.e toys, wire, dog crap,, and anything else you can possibly dream of) picked up before I come. Always remember, you aint their maid service, your a lawn service. thats my view of it. some may disagree however. but thats the way i do business.

smokenjoe_10
12-01-2012, 04:05 PM
I just take my blower and what ever is left behind is left behind unless the leaves are really wet they stay there.

I tell all my clients in my contract as well as speaking to them it is their responsibility to keep non vegetation items (i.e toys, wire, dog crap,, and anything else you can possibly dream of) picked up before I come. Always remember, you aint their maid service, your a lawn service. thats my view of it. some may disagree however. but thats the way i do business.

I try and tell mine the same thing the only thing im not stricked on is dog crap granted is makes everything smell bad if you run it over and get it on the tires. I have a dog and I really dont have time to run around waiting for him to pick up his crap when hes done, so if I can't do it I don't expenct my clients to do so.

zackvbra
12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I can see a couple dropping every now and again, but there was a couple people i used to mow that had a dog that left like hundreds of piles. It was unavoidable, and this one client got mad when I accidentaly smeared some crap on their concrete pathway leading to their front door because it was all over my tires and i had to ride my mower on the pathway. They fired me because of it, and I even offered to hose it off for them! After that I started including it in the contract's fine print. There is a difference between acceptable and unacceptable amounts of dog crap

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Your kidding me right, if anyone is to be fired it's the home owner for not cleaning up after their family members. The most I would have done was said "sorry, it's not my dog I have no control over where he poops, nowhere in my contract does it say im your personal pooper scooper." :hammerhead:

-Michael

zackvbra
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Your kidding me right, if anyone is to be fired it's the home owner for not cleaning up after their family members. The most I would have done was said "sorry, it's not my dog I have no control over where he poops, nowhere in my contract does it say im your personal pooper scooper." :hammerhead:

-Michael

Agreed. however, I dont think i got fired because I smeared it on the sidewalk, its because i think they took me for being rude to them because Ill tell someone straight up if i have a problem. I now include that "you need to pick dog crap up along with other misc. items before i come" in my contract. Especially after the ordeal i went through. I shouldve drawn a line in the dirt with those people from the beginning. but live and learn!

andyslawncare
12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
We don't move anything other than garbage cans and the occasional trampoline. Other items are their fault for being trashy...usually other items are seen where the garage is so full they can't fit their cars in. Blow what we can, and move on. Not maid service, and not a **** collector. I wouldn't spend more than 20 seconds to move an item for a leaf service. Just like when you blow a deck and leaves are stuck between the boards...if they want it fixed, they should sweep the deck or better yet pay me to sweep the deck, and I don't sweep anyone's deck or even own brooms for that matter.

JLSLLC
12-05-2012, 08:07 AM
i dont dwell on big objects i use the blower and get it as clear as it can be, i do move chairs and things like that- but im not moving someone's firewood pile or something of that matter

RSK Property Maintenance
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM
short answer is No, i'm not there to move your kids toys, or piles of wood because you were too lazy to finish what you got started, but for something like mowing a lawn, yes i pick up things like hoses that are in my way, I need to start billing people for this, and same with soccer balls and basket balls. that is sort of annoying. for fall clean ups I just do the best I can and that has always gotten me a "good job" or "I can't believe how clean you and your workers got my lawn and landscaping in that short of a time too" people really do enjoy not having to do fall clean ups around here, because they are going about it with either a very small gas or electric hand held blower or just rakes and paper bags, in which case it takes them all day in some cases to do there leaves that i can do in an hour or 2 or 3.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Don't move anything that would take you more than a few moments, as stated before.

As well, you don't move anything that could break!

-Michael

White Gardens
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
If I we can't move it with one arm and a leaf blower on our backs, then it doesn't get moved.