PDA

View Full Version : What's the verdict on the new JD 910?

johnnybravo8802
12-01-2012, 03:39 PM
I've never used JD on a regular basis but was looking at a package deal today that included a new JD 910 and was wondering what the verdict was on this mower. It had a 48" deck with a 22 kawi. I think the configuration would be sufficient but was wondering how a mulch on demand deck would work with that mower or if you have to step up to a 920 to even have that option? Thanks.

Ridin' Green
12-01-2012, 05:57 PM
The 910 is actually 20.5 HP. The 22 number was under the old rating system. The MOD isn't an option on a 910. You'd need to step up to the 920 to get a MOD, and only the 48" MOD is available on the 920. I believe the 910 with the 48" deck is fine for normal cutting, but it will starrt to lack power if the grass is wet and or thick and there are any hills involved at all.

A lot of guys on here have bought them and replaced the throttle plate with one from a 920 which is the only true difference between those two engines. It's about a $40 part and an hour or so of your time to do. There's a thread in the mechanic & repair forum if you do a search on it there.

johnnybravo8802
12-01-2012, 08:16 PM
The 910 is actually 20.5 HP. The 22 number was under the old rating system. The MOD isn't an option on a 910. You'd need to step up to the 920 to get a MOD, and only the 48" MOD is available on the 920. I believe the 910 with the 48" deck is fine for normal cutting, but it will starrt to lack power if the grass is wet and or thick and there are any hills involved at all.

A lot of guys on here have bought them and replaced the throttle plate with one from a 920 which is the only true difference between those two engines. It's about a $40 part and an hour or so of your time to do. There's a thread in the mechanic & repair forum if you do a search on it there.
Yea, I thought I had read on the JD website that the MOD is only available on the 920. That would be a nice option to have, especially around apartment complexes, but I'd prefer the 26HP option with that feature. It seems most people on here agree that more HP is better while mulching. Thanks for the input.:waving:

Ridin' Green
12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I run a Z950 with a 60" MOD. It has more than enough power for the MOD, but yea, more is always better for mulching, no doubt.

The MOD is far better with OEM wavy mulching blades than it is with the std high lifts for all around cutting. Several of us here run our MOD's like that and have been quite happy with them set up that way.

johnnybravo8802
12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I run a Z950 with a 60" MOD. It has more than enough power for the MOD, but yea, more is always better for mulching, no doubt.

The MOD is far better with OEM wavy mulching blades than it is with the std high lifts for all around cutting. Several of us here run our MOD's like that and have been quite happy with them set up that way.
Definitely agree about the OEM's. I've used OEM's on my Scag TT in regular side discharge mode and they made a difference, in the fall. The MOD would be nice for me because I've ranged from mowing a retirement community with bermuda sod one day to a 30 acre industrial plant with two weeks of growth the very next day. It's tough to find one machine that can do it all.

rungreen
12-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Have had 22hp 910 54' deck for years. 300 plus hours, great mower, enough power. Only downtime was broken deck belt.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-03-2012, 04:11 PM

A 20.5 hp engine on a 48" deck reg mowing will not lack power - I run that same combo now.

Ridin' Green
12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
A 20.5 hp engine on a 48" deck reg mowing will not lack power - I run that same combo now.

There's several of guys on here (especially in the HO forum) who own a 910 and many of them would disagree with you, and have done so already in other threads. With the size of the pumps and the weight of the machine itself, it's getting close on power on flat ground in thick wet grass, but it should be OK.

Like I said above, but add in any hills at all, and it's gonna be underpowered a bit. You can't accuratelycompare what your Toro will do to what the 910 will do unless everything is identical weight, deck design, blades, pumps etc.

rmslawns
01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
I have a 2010 Z920 54" with a mulch kit on it. ( not a MOD, just a fulltime kit). 26 HP with no issues mulching fescue in any condition. Bermuda I always cut in the afternoon when dry and it handles it fine. Also have a mulch kit on a Hustler trimstar 48". Cuts great as well.

Roger
01-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I have a 717A, 48" 7Iron deck, with a 19hp Kaw. I do no mulching, but do use a chute blocker for leaf work in the Fall. In normal cutting, I use standard OEM hi-lift blades.

99% of the time, the 19hp is enough power. Only when I have a long upward slope do I sense I need to pull back a bit on the sticks. All my cutting is cool weather, northern grasses. Sometimes in the Spring, the growth is heavy, and wet. But, I don't find the 19hp a problem, only a bit of a challenge from time to time.

However, having said that, I wonder if a 22hp engine would burn less fuel. I get about 6.5 service hours, out of the 8 gallon full tank of gasoline (1.2 gal/hr). I think this is high on fuel usage. My 15hp Kohler Command Pro, single cylinder, driving my w/b will burn about 0.65 gal/hr.

In general, I do not run hard. Only in a very few instances am I running more than 70% full speed, usually about 4mph. My properties are too rough to run faster. I know I cannot control my machine like I want at faster speeds. My body thanks me for running slower than full speed.

weeze
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
i have the z920 with 26hp kawi. in normal conditions it did fine with stock blades. it would bog down in heavy growth and wet conditions. i would have to slow down a good bit in those conditions. then i started using the oregon G6 blades. i guess because of the slots in the blade there is less drag. ever since i did that the mower no longer bogs down no matter what the conditions. you will also want to get the suspension seat. i got that and it made a huge difference in the comfort level. after mowing 2hrs without the suspension your back would start to feel it but now with it i can mow all day and not feel a thing.

Ridin' Green
01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I have a 717A, 48" 7Iron deck, with a 19hp Kaw. I do no mulching, but do use a chute blocker for leaf work in the Fall. In normal cutting, I use standard OEM hi-lift blades.

99% of the time, the 19hp is enough power. Only when I have a long upward slope do I sense I need to pull back a bit on the sticks. All my cutting is cool weather, northern grasses. Sometimes in the Spring, the growth is heavy, and wet. But, I don't find the 19hp a problem, only a bit of a challenge from time to time.

However, having said that, I wonder if a 22hp engine would burn less fuel. I get about 6.5 service hours, out of the 8 gallon full tank of gasoline (1.2 gal/hr). I think this is high on fuel usage. My 15hp Kohler Command Pro, single cylinder, driving my w/b will burn about 0.65 gal/hr.

In general, I do not run hard. Only in a very few instances am I running more than 70% full speed, usually about 4mph. My properties are too rough to run faster. I know I cannot control my machine like I want at faster speeds. My body thanks me for running slower than full speed.

The 717 is a lot smaller and lighter machine than the 910 is, so you'd obviously get by with less HP. I think you're right about the 22 HP though, and have said that same thing on here before. It wouldn't have to work as hard to do the same job, so fuel economy and engine life longevity should be better.:)