PDA

View Full Version : who can tell me about using a walkbehind or stander to suck up leaves?

d.klas
12-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I am wondering if I should buy a Wright Stander or a Ferris Comfort control DD walkbehind (with velke/sulky)... both of them are good grass cutters but for the sake of leaf clean up.. I dont know how well the bagging attachments work for that..

Can anybody please tell me in detail their experiences with the side bagging attachments?

I dont have enough money to buy those vacuum systems you attach to a truck and have it suck up leaf piles... Id rather buy a machine that I can use from april- late november that can do it all.. I want to stay away from Walker.. They are excellent finishing mowers and the GHS is great but they require lots of maintenance and are pretty expensive..

Any help would be appreciated!:)

Dan

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-01-2012, 05:59 PM
neither one will work that good for bagging.

d.klas
12-01-2012, 06:00 PM
what do you recommend?

herler
12-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Rake and tarp.

And if you get Ames True Temper steel tine you can buy a replacement handle when it breaks.

d.klas
12-01-2012, 06:18 PM
that would take forever for my larger propertys

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2012, 06:18 PM
http://www.proteroinc.com/

Check this out for a wright stander. It will be a couple grand, but you bag all season long.
Posted via Mobile Device

SECTLANDSCAPING
12-01-2012, 06:19 PM
A ZTR would be more suited for bagging. You need a mower that could hold a 3 bin bagger on the back.

The side discharge baggers are to small and if there a good size it will tilt the deck.

The walkers are designed to bag so its a different discussion altogether.

d.klas
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Thats true.. I dont want a tilt on the deck when it fills up.. neither do I want to be emptying the attachment too often.
The only reason I like the Stander vs a Zero Turn is because a stander can go more places that a zeroturn cannot. Are there any other alternatives for the stander? or would the Zeroturn with bagger be the best option?

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I forgot to say that I've used a side bagger on a exmark metro for a few back yards that I couldn't get it. What a joke. Stopping every 2 minutes to empty. I also had side baggers on a couple Wrights for spring dethatching. Same thing. Empty every few minutes. They were fast if I didn't have to bag or had more capacity. I have a navigator which OS similar to a walker. Can't imagine clean ups or bagging grass without it. I do very little maintance be side the norm you'll have with any mower
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Thats true.. I dont want a tilt on the deck when it fills up.. neither do I want to be emptying the attachment too often.
The only reason I like the Stander vs a Zero Turn is because a stander can go more places that a zeroturn cannot. Are there any other alternatives for the stander? or would the Zeroturn with bagger be the best option?

Did you check out the link?
Posted via Mobile Device

d.klas
12-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I was looking at the Navigator... heard good things about it.. but was never really sure.. How much did you get yours for? How big is the deck?

d.klas
12-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I did check it out but I want good visibility.. Its hard to see in front of you with it on. but thank you

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I did check it out but I want good visibility.. Its hard to see in front of you with it on. but thank you

It doesn't block your visibility at all. The bagger is on the back like a ztr.

I bought my navigator used with around a 1000 hours for 3200 I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

d.klas
12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
the pictures showed a wright stander with the bagger on the front.

Jimslawncareservice
12-01-2012, 06:40 PM
the pictures showed a wright stander with the bagger on the front.

Scroll down and you'll see an image with it the back and a video of it on action. Or search you tube for protero. It a stand and dump. Like a dump from the seat bagger.
Posted via Mobile Device

newguy123
12-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I am wondering if I should buy a Wright Stander or a Ferris Comfort control DD walkbehind (with velke/sulky)... both of them are good grass cutters but for the sake of leaf clean up.. I dont know how well the bagging attachments work for that..

Can anybody please tell me in detail their experiences with the side bagging attachments?

I dont have enough money to buy those vacuum systems you attach to a truck and have it suck up leaf piles... Id rather buy a machine that I can use from april- late november that can do it all.. I want to stay away from Walker.. They are excellent finishing mowers and the GHS is great but they require lots of maintenance and are pretty expensive..

Dan

I would stay away from Protero. There product looks great but I've heard bad things about their customer service.

Anyways...the side grass/leaf catcher does work and can work quite well. Last season that is all I used for clean ups and it did just fine.

Here's the process you'll have to use though: After you blow out leaves from rock/mulch beds, etc., slap your bagger on the walkbehind and let it fill completely up. Continue to run over all the piles of leaves a lot, until they're mulched down real fine. This will reduce the size of the pile significantly and will allow you to pick up more. After you have mulched the leaves then empty the first round and continue picking them up.

I would suggest though that you have the extension that goes onto the side catcher.

This will work but you can't expect it to work unless you mulch the leaves really well.

STIHL GUY
12-01-2012, 08:10 PM
my walk behind is no good for bagging leaves...not enough power to suck up all the little pieces and there is a lot of blow out from the underside of the front of the deck so i end up chasing leaves around...i dont have a bagger for my stander so im not sure about that option

stonebridge
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM

get a chute blocker a set of G6's and mulch them up thats all i do and yards look great

SDLandscapes VT
12-01-2012, 08:56 PM
We have walkbehinds and the bagging is marginal--we have a truckloader a leaf plow multiple blowers and a walker--but we do a tremendous amount of leaf clean-ups--mostly we use the blowers and leaf plow to get things to the truck

cpllawncare
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
We use two standers, both with gators, but one has a full mulch kit, use one to mulch and blow the first mulch pass in a central locaton then we use the full mulch kit to slowly go over and give a final mulch pass, it leaves no sign of leaves and no bagging or tarping required.

Chris Feenan
12-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Do a search on here for Protero before you go that route. Looks like well designed and built equipment, but people have had serious problems with them. Like this guy (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336448&highlight=protero)

They should come on here and explain what happened in the past if they want to lose their bad reputation.

ashgrove landscaping
12-02-2012, 12:36 AM
I have used a ferris 61" walk behind for years with the grass gobbler and extension. It will fill up quick with un chopped leaves but you just have to chop them up with some gator blades a few times then suck up the remains. Works REAL good at an easy budget. The stander won't be as good on hills as well as bumping over rocks an things. Also the ferris walk behind is completely bullet proof!!! I ve had many of them and know!

cpllawncare
12-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I have used a ferris 61" walk behind for years with the grass gobbler and extension. It will fill up quick with un chopped leaves but you just have to chop them up with some gator blades a few times then suck up the remains. Works REAL good at an easy budget. The stander won't be as good on hills as well as bumping over rocks an things. Also the ferris walk behind is completely bullet proof!!! I ve had many of them and know!

Standers are fine on hills, if you know what you're doing, as far as bumps and stuff it's like any other mower. with the set up I described two passes and you done, if the leaves are light you can do it in one,

orangemower
12-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Dan

Whether it be a truck loader for leaves or a mower capable of doing leaf clean up with the proper attachment (bagging kit) you won't be able to do anything since you don't have the money to get what you really need to do the job.

jsslawncare
12-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Well, you can forget that with either mower.

cpllawncare
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Forget the bagger system all together on a WB or a stander your only option is gators with a full mulch kit, or blowers, rakes and tarps.

Chris Feenan
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I am not disagreeing. A walk behind or stander can't hold enough leaves to be a primary leaf removal tool.

But I use blowers and tarps to remove most of the leaves, then use a mower to clean up the ones that escaped the blowers, or didn't get raked onto the tarp. The bagger that does this final cleanup of the lawn doesn't have to have a large capacity. I use a Scag triple bagger and it doesn't usually even fill the bags completely.

It takes too long, IMO, to blow ALL of the leaves to a central point, and then rake ALL of them onto the tarp. If you know you can leave a few behind, and get only 90-95% of them in the first pass, it is a much quicker operation. And even a small bagger can be used to do the final cleanup, if that is all that you have.

As long as I am at it, when I hear that guys are mulching all of the leaves, never picking any up, and "not a trace of shredded leaves can be seen" I have to believe that they don't live in a Deciduous Hell like the Northeast. No way your lawn looks good if all you do is mulch here in upstate New York.

cpllawncare
12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
If the leaves are dry, and we're not talking about magnolia's or knee deep leaves, then yes we can make them disappear with mulching, it's organic material it doesn't hurt the grass when mulched with a commercial mower

stonebridge
12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
If the leaves are dry, and we're not talking about magnolia's or knee deep leaves, then yes we can make them disappear with mulching, it's organic material it doesn't hurt the grass when mulched with a commercial mower
i have done several this year, where you could barely see any grass and i triple cut the yards and there were no leaves in sight, all owners were happen and impressed with g6 blades a chute blocker and 1 perimeter pass then 1 pass backwards with chute closed then go forward with chute open and repeat, after yard is done, cut it like normal to stripe it and done no leaves

SDLandscapes VT
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Stonebridge--it works for you. I m happy for you. Mulching generally doesn't work here in New England because of the volume of leaves on the properties. I tell people that cleaning leaves requires a multi system approach and depending on the weather, leaf type, and volume this should help you choose how to clean things up most efficiently

stonebridge
12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Stonebridge--it works for you. I m happy for you. Mulching generally doesn't work here in New England because of the volume of leaves on the properties. I tell people that cleaning leaves requires a multi system approach and depending on the weather, leaf type, and volume this should help you choose how to clean things up most efficiently
i agree, whatever works, works. im solo so raking, hauling leaves don't benefit me, and i can blow and mulch a yard faster than raking and hauling away to a dump. but everybody and every area is different.

cpllawncare
12-02-2012, 09:00 PM
i agree, whatever works, works. im solo so raking, hauling leaves don't benefit me, and i can blow and mulch a yard faster than raking and hauling away to a dump. but everybody and every area is different.

I agree! there are three of us so raking and hauling away leaves isn't an option, not to mention the extra you have to charge for dump fee's, most people don't want to pay it. Truly, I can't see any professional LCO worth his weight raking leaves.

Chris Feenan
12-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I can't see any professional LCO worth his weight raking leaves.
Your killin' me !!!

It's a big world guy. Just because you "can't see it" from the vantage point of Greenville, South Carolina doesn't mean it's not out there.

Here, we have town trucks come through every two weeks with giant tow behind leaf loaders and a 4 man crew on the ground. They remove any leaves that we can get to the curb. We blow, rake, tarp and bag them, get them to the curb, and drive away.

Also, there are many "professional LCO's around the country that are not solo guys, or 3 or 4 guys, that work for high end customers. These people would never tolerate mulching leaves until they "disappear". They will pay whatever is necessary, to whatever professional LCO that wants to do it, to have them hauled away.

cpllawncare
12-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Your killin' me !!!

It's a big world guy. Just because you "can't see it" from the vantage point of Greenville, South Carolina doesn't mean it's not out there.

Here, we have town trucks come through every two weeks with giant tow behind leaf loaders and a 4 man crew on the ground. They remove any leaves that we can get to the curb. We blow, rake, tarp and bag them, get them to the curb, and drive away.

Also, there are many "professional LCO's around the country that are not solo guys, or 3 or 4 guys, that work for high end customers. These people would never tolerate mulching leaves until they "disappear". They will pay whatever is necessary, to whatever professional LCO that wants to do it, to have them hauled away.

We may be behind down here in the south, but we're not that far behind LOL we have the same trucks, why bag if they have a vacuum? I have several high end clients myself, and they don't care how you get rid of the leaves just get rid of the leaves, how I do it is up to me, I'm the owner of my business and it's my business as to know how to get up the leaves in an efficent manner, like I said earlier once we're done you don't know if they were raked mulched or blown unless you saw us doing it. I've not had nothing but great job comments from all my customers so far even the high end ones, if done properly you can't tell. we just make sure the leaves don't build up to where we are forced to rake and tarp.

orangemower
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a few properties that shed a good amount of leaves. I can usually keep up with them just about the time the grass has all but stopped growing. That's when the bagger gets put on the mower. After that, I ride around backwards looking dumb going all over the place on the lawn busting up the leaves. Once I've covered most of the lawn, I start bagging them up. I've backed over 2-3ft piles and the back of the deck just sucks them right in. I do worry that the leaves might pile up and get on the muffler. I've had to put two fires out from leaves dropping on the muffler when dumping the bags!

jaybow
12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I do mostly city size lots, but a few larger corner lots. I use walk behinds for everything, I let the bagger fill up and then go over everything mulching up the leaves with the bagger full. Then I empty the bagger and bag everything up. It condenses the leaves one hell of alot. Rarely get the rake off the trailer, but in tight spots once in a while I use it a little. I do around 30 accounts, but I have another full time job with insurance. You can use walk behinds, but if you are doing any large commercials, or acerage, you nee a rider with a proper vac system.

andyslawncare
12-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Any bagger without an impeller will do about the same, and it will be a slow process.