PDA

View Full Version : Trailer configuration help

RandRlawns
12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Hello everyone. I bought a 5x8 trailer and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set if up for maximum speed getting equipment on and off. This would be easier if I had bought a 6x10. I have a scag 36" and a 21" Honda. They do not fit side by side like I would hope for. Also, I'm about to purchase Extreme trimmer racks and I had planned on mounting them on the driver side of my trailer but I see some folks mount them on the front of their trailer above the tongue. I think I'll mount them in the side bc I plan on putting a 2'x2' cage up there but I'd like any input from you pros. Also, should I just use 2x4s nailed to my floor to stabilize my scag? Thanks in advance to you all for the input.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spring Valley Lawn Service
12-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I put mine on passenger side. That way when parked on road I don't have to worry bout getting ran over

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-02-2012, 03:50 PM
1. You can either but the Scag in first and put the Honda sideways behind it.

2. Or put the Honda in first in one of the corners follwed by the Scag on the on the other side and use a wheel lock system for the Scag.

3. Lastly put the Honda in first sideways and use either a wheel lock system on the Scag when you put it in second or run a 2"x10" across the trailer for the Scag to push against.

USE RATCHET STRAPS

-Michael

RandRlawns
12-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Passenger side, of course! I completely misspoke on that. That was my idea too, so that I could just walk up and grab the trimmers wo going all the way around my truck. The ratchet straps... Are those the kind sold by the makers of extreme trimmers that wrap around the back wheels? Ill try those configurations to see what suits me best.

Thanks and keep em coming!
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-02-2012, 04:47 PM
You can walk into any home depot, lowe's etc. and they will have them.

My first year set-up was my Toro 36" ratcheted down on the front of the trailer, with my JD js46 sideways behind it and I use to bungee cords so that it could move around a small amount.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-90984.html

I used a 2" strap for my 36" mower.

-Michael

RandRlawns
12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Michael- when you use those ratchet straps, do you just tie the mower down to the trailer sides or do you ratchet down the back tires to the floor?
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
When i put my 36" on first, I put the mower against the front of the trailer and run a strap from the left side vertical "railing", around the back of the mower and over to the right vertical "railing" piece on the side of the trailer.

I also ratchet a 2x10 to the front of the trailer so that the mower rests against it instead of metal on metal.

Please do not just put your mower on and use the brake, too many "professionals do that and their mowers move all over the place". You also can wear down the brakes when you leave the brakes on.

-Michael