PDA

View Full Version : How much do you charge for Mulch Install?

recycledsole
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Yes, per yard, how much do you charge for mulch installation? and how much do you charge for mulch (material) per yard? hardwood shredded mulch.
thanks alot

Woody82986
12-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm sure a quick search will pull up multiple threads on this topic, but for regular hardwood mulch right now, I charge between $72.00 and $75.00 per yard, purchased, delivered and installed. The price can vary some due to distance traveled from the nearest supplier, distance from trailer to beds, or terrain involved.

Diddy
12-04-2012, 12:47 PM
What is the price of the mulch material per yard

MDLawn
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
I still have never fully understood this "price per yard" of mulch and how it can vary due to whatever.... Is it just throwing mulch on the beds or are you prepping them too as in edging, cleaning, etc....? I've had 1 job in 11 years that was mulch only. Most are clean, trim bushes, edge beds, pull weeds, install mulch. If I calculate it on a per yard basis most of my jobs would be $150-$200+ per yard. But I am an hours + material + profit = job cost type of person. If you're just actually only installing the mulch with ZERO prep I can see a per yard price working but still gets fuzzy. But again most of my jobs are trim, edge, clean, mulch...

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-04-2012, 02:27 PM
This post is just for the cost of mulch and labor to put it down. You then add on your cost to edge if necessary, I never have to because my yards have pavers around landscaping. Also trimming is usually done a the same time, but its a separate cost. Customer's want to see the numbers broken down.

I usually charge:
Mulch $60-$75 per yard installed
small to medium bushes trimmed $5-$10 per bush

Edging can be a pain, and buy yourself a good spade if you do so. My spades are all metal fully welded and run $75-$125 per spade.

-Michael

MDLawn
12-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Customer's want to see the numbers broken down.

Never have I ever encountered this for a job like a mulch or clean up that are below $2000. They want to see one price. If they want a job like that itemized they are not a customer for me.

recycledsole
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks alot everyone for the response

MDLawn- that amazing. How do you get customers who want the $2000 + jobs?
That is fantastic!
i have been charging around $60-$70/yard isntalled.
thanks alot everyone

White Gardens
12-04-2012, 08:27 PM
80-130 depending on the prep work. I go no less than 80 though.

MDLawn
12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks alot everyone for the response

MDLawn- that amazing. How do you get customers who want the $2000 + jobs?
That is fantastic!
i have been charging around $60-$70/yard isntalled.
thanks alot everyone

Average for me has been in the $700-$1200 range. $2000 is rare and quite a large one. As in 12 yards of mulch, huge bushes to trim and tons of edging. What i meant by that $2000 statement was if someone wants to see a $700 job itemized theyre just cheap and really not in my plan. Big jobs with installs can be itemized if neesed. I won't take a small job for less that $350. Not worth the time and effort, been there done that. Small jobs seem to eat more time that larger ones. BUT I can cherry pick jobs with my situation. If I get "hungry" then maybe different story. But hasn't been that way yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole
12-04-2012, 09:52 PM
thanks alot!

MDLawn
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
The problem most guys have is not being able to walk away from work that doesn't meet their pricing needs. And if you can't meet your pricing you're either way too high (VERY doubtful) or your market truly cannot afford what you need. Listen, I'm part time and like I said can cherry pick what jobs I want so I'm in a unique situation. Don't like my price? Take the next guy then and gamble on service quality and/or dependability. I've quoted many many jobs I "lost". But for the ones I do get its soo much sweeter. Rarely do I ever budge when someone gives me the "look" when I give them a price. I'm completely nice about it and thank them for their time and thinking of my business, explain why I may be higher, and then I leave. Some shake hands and agree others just say no.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
12-05-2012, 09:49 PM
labor (60 per man hr) + materials.

chrisvinky
12-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I pay $30 a yard for mulch and charge no less than $80 per yard to haul it and put it down. For this, I also include one treatment of Snapshot when the mulch goes down.

I charge extra for shrub trimming - $5-$10 for most small to mid size shrubs

I charge $1 per foot for edging with my bed edger.

I do run a special in March where I knock off 25% of the installation price ($12.50 per yard) just to get the cashflow coming in and attract new customers! I call it Mulch Madness. It's a big hit because most people around here are basketball nuts!

Woody82986
12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
I still have never fully understood this "price per yard" of mulch and how it can vary due to whatever.... Is it just throwing mulch on the beds or are you prepping them too as in edging, cleaning, etc....? I've had 1 job in 11 years that was mulch only. Most are clean, trim bushes, edge beds, pull weeds, install mulch. If I calculate it on a per yard basis most of my jobs would be $150-$200+ per yard. But I am an hours + material + profit = job cost type of person. If you're just actually only installing the mulch with ZERO prep I can see a per yard price working but still gets fuzzy. But again most of my jobs are trim, edge, clean, mulch...

He asked what our price per yard was. So that's what I answered. You don't know how much you charge per yard for each mulch type? My price can vary based on if I'm using a wheel barrow to haul it 50 yards or 20 feet. Or if that 50 yards is up hill or down hill. I'm not saying I itemize client's clean up/mulch invoices, but when I work up the project total before the estimate is sent out, it gets itemized on my end so I know what I'm dealing with. It's all in a lump sum total for all work provided when the client gets the estimate(hedge trimming, bed clean up, mulch, etc...). I do know what I charge per yard because that's how I arrive at the price for that particular part of the project. I get several mulch only jobs each season. And for the most part, all landscape beds in this area are bordered with some type of border edging and don't require edging, which I guess is a pretty common thing in other parts of the country. I think maybe it's just a regional difference.

cpllawncare
12-10-2012, 09:58 PM
My price would be mulch install only any addtional work = + $

Denlinger326
12-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Around here in ohio mulching is so screwed up!! We are constantly fighting against companies who are appling mulch for $50 a yard (weekend warriors). I always try to stay around the $75-$100 a yard mark prepped and installed. I was recently told by one of our big apartment communities we service that brickman gave them a price of $42 a yard!!! If things keep going like that here i'll be forced to shut the doors. Im NOT doing it cheaper, too much physical work for that type of pay!

Woody82986
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I really enjoy mulch installs. I think it is one of the quickest ways to enhance and update a landscape. I'm quick and efficient with it and I think it's fun. I also enjoy sod installs so maybe I'm just a little weird!

MDLawn
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Nope I feel the same way. Both services really make an instant change in the look of a landscape. I like doing sod jobs too.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn_jockey
01-05-2013, 01:10 AM
We have been at $90 per yard since 2005. We only use premium 3cft bags of Hardwoods. nothing else.
We are often asked to lay red mulch or black dyed mulch.
I tell them no. Hardwoods only. take it or leave it. They always just take it.
I won't have my guys roaming the streets for the rest of the day with red stained pants.

Also sourcing product is simple. 5 mulch jobs today...one product ....### of bags.

We deliver and install and leave the trash bags on the curb.
Easy delivery and cleanup. If we have extra bags, easy to haul away.

darned large photos
http://yourlawnjockey.com/images/mulch2.JPG

lawn_jockey
01-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Also if there is any weed pulling or bed cleanup needed prior to throwing down mulch we let them know and do not lay mulch until it approved or denied. We do bed cleanups for $100 per hour 3man crew.

This year we are raising the Bed cleanups to $120 per hour.

cpllawncare
01-05-2013, 01:47 AM
120 an hour for a three man crew seems like a fair price if your cost are in line. that's about where we are for three men also.

weaver
01-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Yes, per yard, how much do you charge for mulch installation? and how much do you charge for mulch (material) per yard? hardwood shredded mulch.
thanks alot

A yard of double shred hardwood here runs about $35ish and i charge about $50 to install as long as it's a ready site. Things that might change as far as price would be weed pulling and how much wheelbarrowing i have to do to get it to the beds..

georgiagrass
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
We do quite a few mulch jobs for existing customers every year. We pay approx. $30 per yard for the mulch and charge $75 per yard to put it out. Bed edging is extra ($1 per linear foot, using a Brown Bed Edger).

lawnman3
02-07-2013, 10:26 PM
that seems fair i charge about $85 per yard and they buy it and have it in there drive way for me when i get there..

Kleen Kutz
02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Also if there is any weed pulling or bed cleanup needed prior to throwing down mulch we let them know and do not lay mulch until it approved or denied. We do bed cleanups for $100 per hour 3man crew.

This year we are raising the Bed cleanups to $120 per hour.

Even though your charging $120 per hour. Do you charge that per man hour or $120 across the board no matter how many men on that 1 job? I've raised my price up to $75 an hour per man hour.

cpllawncare
02-08-2013, 07:24 AM
that seems fair i charge about $85 per yard and they buy it and have it in there drive way for me when i get there..

That's very high! being they are buying the mulch and delivery fees. We charge $70/yard including mulch and delivery no bed prep

cpllawncare
02-08-2013, 07:37 AM
We do quite a few mulch jobs for existing customers every year. We pay approx. $30 per yard for the mulch and charge $75 per yard to put it out. Bed edging is extra ($1 per linear foot, using a Brown Bed Edger).

Do you put any pre emergent down?

nylesedwards
02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I charge about $60 per cubic yard. That includes delivery and installation
Posted via Mobile Device

HRidgeLandscapes
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
$100 a yard installed

georgiagrass
02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Do you put any pre emergent down?

No we don't.

weaver
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
No we don't.

Hey that's a nice truck/setup you got...

advantage.lawn.care
02-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I charge between 70-80$ a yard depending on location of beds (how close i can get with trailer or if we are going to double handle it, wheel barrow to beds). most mulch here is under 30 $ a yard depending on color.

cpllawncare
02-09-2013, 08:17 AM
The reason I ask about the pre emergent is we can get it cheap, so we have it as a value added service.

lawnpropm
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
The reason I ask about the pre emergent is we can get it cheap, so we have it as a value added service.
Is your price for the pre em factored into your per yard price?
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
02-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Is your price for the pre em factored into your per yard price?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's in the bed prep price. no need for it if you aren't going to prep the beds first.

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Dang. I wish I could get what some of you guys charge. For a single yard I charge $75, but for more than 1 it's $60 per yard. 2 or 3 guys can knock it out and still make good money. Hell, I spread 6 yards solo last season in about an hour and a half.

cpllawncare
02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Something else to consider is are you doing a topping off or a complete new install? that makes a big difference also.

weaver
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Dang. I wish I could get what some of you guys charge. For a single yard I charge $75, but for more than 1 it's $60 per yard. 2 or 3 guys can knock it out and still make good money. Hell, I spread 6 yards solo last season in about an hour and a half.

DANG... You sir would be the mulch spreading GOD... 6 yards solo at 1.5 hours....

cpllawncare
02-10-2013, 03:12 PM
DANG... You sir would be the mulch spreading GOD... 6 yards solo at 1.5 hours....

BIG DIFFERENCE between slinging mulch and placing mulch! wouldn't you say?

weaver
02-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Still, that's alot of work.. Even if the 6 yards was placed in the beds and just needed spread..WOW... Someone was jacked up on Mt. Dew that day....

lawnpropm
02-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Still, that's alot of work.. Even if the 6 yards was placed in the beds and just needed spread..WOW... Someone was jacked up on Mt. Dew that day....
Mt. Dew and aderol lol
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnpropm
02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
It's in the bed prep price. no need for it if you aren't going to prep the beds first.
What pre em you like using? How long is it effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM

It wasn't sloppy. It was the perfect mulch job with never having to walk more than 50' to dump a wheelbarrow, and a lot of open area. Though, I still had to kick it into high gear to get the job done in such a short period of time.

weaver
02-10-2013, 11:23 PM
It wasn't sloppy. It was the perfect mulch job with never having to walk more than 50' to dump a wheelbarrow, and a lot of open area. Though, I still had to kick it into high gear to get the job done in such a short period of time.

So you actually wheelbarrowed & installed 6 yards of mulch yourself in 1.5 hours... That's like a record probably...
Posted via Mobile Device

cpllawncare
02-11-2013, 01:41 AM
What pre em you like using? How long is it effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

We use snapshot mostly,the bag says it's effective for 8 weeks then reapply, of course nobody wants to pay to have it reapplied, LOL unless their on a bed maint program then it gets reapplied every 6-8 weeks.

Weaver, I would say 6 yards by one person in 1.5 hrs is quite the feat. I take Adderall (For ADD) and drink Dr pepper and not even then could I do it, LOL

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-11-2013, 08:49 AM
So you actually wheelbarrowed & installed 6 yards of mulch yourself in 1.5 hours... That's like a record probably...
Posted via Mobile Device

I had Chariots of Fire playing on repeat in my head.

GMLC
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
We charge $60-$75 per yard delivered and installed. Any bed prep is extra. I always figure one man hour per yard. The best I have done is two yards per hour and that was flying!!
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I had Chariots of Fire playing on repeat in my head.

Good one...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bradsmowing
02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Here in my town in Florida I get the mulch for 24.00 a yard any color we charge 50.00 a yard installed

precision8m
02-18-2013, 03:46 PM
I quote mulch out to be spread at about 2yds an hour or so, but I can easily do 4 in an hour if i am parked close to the beds. I have employees now and am not as young as when I started out, but I still move quick when I am mulching. Makes my guys work quicker too. Great cardio.

georgiagrass
02-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Hey that's a nice truck/setup you got...

Thanks; we try to present a professional image while making ourselves as efficient and productive as we can.

nickpturner
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM
I've gone down to $50 per cubic yard installed on a 55 cubic yard residential job at 3" deep (very rich neighborhood). That included edging. When the beds are that large your edging time per yard goes down tremendously. Not to mention there were some places with stone edging. $70-85 is a more typical price per cubic yard for me. I always charge a separate delivery fee though, whether I'm delivering it myself our having it dumped by 4 different trucks on 3 different days (55 cubic yard job)!

HRidgeLandscapes
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
I've gone down to $50 per cubic yard installed on a 55 cubic yard residential job at 3" deep (very rich neighborhood). That included edging. When the beds are that large your edging time per yard goes down tremendously. Not to mention there were some places with stone edging. $70-85 is a more typical price per cubic yard for me. I always charge a separate delivery fee though, whether I'm delivering it myself our having it dumped by 4 different trucks on 3 different days (55 cubic yard job)!

$50 per yard doesnt seem to profitable to me

georgiagrass
02-26-2013, 04:18 PM

That doesn't sound unreasonable for such a large mulch job. There are definitely economies of scale associated with that type of work. Hopefully, you were able to negotiate a favorable price for the large mulch order.

OUTLANDER
02-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Around here in ohio mulching is so screwed up!! We are constantly fighting against companies who are appling mulch for $50 a yard (weekend warriors). I always try to stay around the $75-$100 a yard mark prepped and installed. I was recently told by one of our big apartment communities we service that brickman gave them a price of $42 a yard!!! If things keep going like that here i'll be forced to shut the doors. Im NOT doing it cheaper, too much physical work for that type of pay!

you dont seem to be doing the math with what you are saying...most people that charge $50 per yd are simply charging the price for mulch install and not including extra labor for bed prep as you said you do....So really you may be on the low end here hurting your own market. I do install some mulches at $50 per yd here in Ohio but my extra labor charges before install brings me competitive with most other companies

nylesedwards
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
i saw one guy on here saying that he charged $150 per yard. that included edging, weeding and all bed prep. i thought that was on the high end.

nickpturner
02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
It was cheaper hardwood bark, $18 per cubic yard for such a large order. The best I can do in central Indiana on average sized jobs is $20 for hardwood bark and $24 for dyed brown, red, and black (per cubic yard). My guy delivers for $10 within 15 minutes of his business so I rarely pick it up. It seems quicker to scoop mulch out of a pile on the ground than mess with getting it out of a trailer. If it's above 5 cubic yards I get it delivered. Does anyone think it's unprofessional to have mulch dumped on clients' driveways?

HRidgeLandscapes
02-26-2013, 06:24 PM
We use all bag mulch

OUTLANDER
02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
It was cheaper hardwood bark, $18 per cubic yard for such a large order. The best I can do in central Indiana on average sized jobs is $20 for hardwood bark and $24 for dyed brown, red, and black (per cubic yard). My guy delivers for $10 within 15 minutes of his business so I rarely pick it up. It seems quicker to scoop mulch out of a pile on the ground than mess with getting it out of a trailer. If it's above 5 cubic yards I get it delivered. Does anyone think it's unprofessional to have mulch dumped on clients' driveways?

i wouldnt get dyed mulch dumped...hard to clean up.......i would never put it on a driveway, only the road if possible

cpllawncare
02-26-2013, 08:50 PM
we've dumped on the driveway before but used a tarp, especially if it's dyed mulch.

nickpturner
02-26-2013, 09:16 PM
We use a tarp sometimes also. My first year doing mulch I made the huge mistake of letting them dump dyed mulch on a gravel driveway, with no tarp. I got to see that black stain the whole summer every time I would drive by their house... luckily they were nice about it. I had one customer ask if I could have mulch dumped in front of their house in the cul-de-sac. When I called to have the mulch delivered they said that was a big no no. Apparently my mulch guys had made that mistake before and been fined for it! I guess it's illegal. We'll see if I can keep from making any big goof-ups this year...

cpllawncare
02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
We use a tarp sometimes also. My first year doing mulch I made the huge mistake of letting them dump dyed mulch on a gravel driveway, with no tarp. I got to see that black stain the whole summer every time I would drive by their house... luckily they were nice about it. I had one customer ask if I could have mulch dumped in front of their house in the cul-de-sac. When I called to have the mulch delivered they said that was a big no no. Apparently my mulch guys had made that mistake before and been fined for it! I guess it's illegal. We'll see if I can keep from making any big goof-ups this year...

I know what you mean! the problem is, you don't realize it's a goof up until after the fact!

TK LC&L
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Here in PA I get $100/yard. That includes mulch at about $25/yard, delivery, edging, and minor weeding. So labor you can say is $75. 95% of my customers have no problem with that price and I get the job. Most of my mulch jobs are between 2 to 8 yards.

Now here is a question. A have a guy that I bought my new truck off of a few weeks ago and he wants me to mulch his yard in a few weeks to pay off the truck. He said last time it was mulched it was 50 yards. The biggest I have done is about 20 yards. For it being a bigger job, how much off should I take off of my normal price. Like I said I usually get $100/yard. Another question is what amount of mulch do you start giving a break on pricing?

nickpturner
02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
I give a good deal on the bigger jobs. It's so much simpler to have one big job rather than 5 average ones. If it's 50 yards, there will probably be big mulch beds which means you won't have to worry much about getting into too many tight areas. I hate when I have to spend an hour scooping mulch out of my wheelbarrow with a small pitchfork to get around all the tight spaces. There won't be as much edging per cubic yard either. Plus, you should be able to get $2+ discount per yard on mulch with a bulk order like that. On the other hand, I had a 30 yard job where there were a million sticks and lots of leaves leftover from fall so I kept my normal rate to make up for all additional prep work. There are lots of factors besides the amount of mulch they need that can adjust the estimate. Sometimes you don't realize some of those factors until after you gave the estimate and you're doing the work!

cpllawncare
03-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Sometimes you don't realize some of those factors until after you gave the estimate and you're doing the work!

That's true for all jobs and it sucks when it happens, but then again that's why it's called an estimate! Not a quote. I try to always leave myself an out.

yardworkswi
03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
I am new to mulch installs as well. My ? is with customers that already have a bed what is the best way to know if they need mulch added. If the bottom inch has decomposed would you just add an inch or if the ground is showing in spots and it is very thin do you just add 3"? How do you sell this also as I am sure the customers arent the first one to bring it up? Do you usually add each yr if not what is the normal duration?

nickpturner
03-06-2013, 07:24 PM
I market very heavily in the well off communities where I live. This is because these people want 2-3" every year! Adding an inch a year is probably a healthy amount, although some would probably say that mulching every year is a waste. To be honest I'm not sure. All I know is if someone is insisting on getting 3" it's hard to tell them otherwise! I like putting a thin layer on mine every year. This is mostly for aesthetics. If you spread mulch thinner always raise your per cubic yard rate accordingly!

Kleen Kutz
03-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Fellas quick question. I have about 4 yards of garden soil to put down and 60 bags of mulch. I'll be using about 3 wheel barrows for the job also. Material cost me around $700. How much would you charge the customer?
Posted via Mobile Device

Greener Grounds NC
03-06-2013, 11:00 PM
1900$ ....

Kleen Kutz
03-06-2013, 11:10 PM
So that's with material right?
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
i'm not sure how much a yard of mulch is. here they give you one scoop of mulch for $25 and it fills the back of a truck all the way up. i'm not sure how many yards that is.

anyways i'm doing a mulch job next week and the owner is getting the mulch himself in his own old truck and he's leaving the keys in it so i can move it around. i can backup right where i need the mulch and shovel it out. i'm gonna be charging $50 per hr. he wants me to trim the shrubs and a few crepe myrtles too. i'm not doing any bed prep or edging. he basically just wants me to put new mulch over the top of what's left of the old mulch to make it look good for spring.

cpllawncare
03-06-2013, 11:51 PM
i'm not sure how much a yard of mulch is. here they give you one scoop of mulch for $25 and it fills the back of a truck all the way up. i'm not sure how many yards that is.

anyways i'm doing a mulch job next week and the owner is getting the mulch himself in his own old truck and he's leaving the keys in it so i can move it around. i can backup right where i need the mulch and shovel it out. i'm gonna be charging $50 per hr. he wants me to trim the shrubs and a few crepe myrtles too. i'm not doing any bed prep or edging. he basically just wants me to put new mulch over the top of what's left of the old mulch to make it look good for spring.

Jason Mulch is measured by the cubic yard, typically one bucket of mulch is one cubic yard if the mulch yard is using that size bucket, as a contractor we can get mulch for $13/yd

weeze
03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
yes i know it's measured by the yard most places. i've just never looked at it that way. i just say one truck load or one bag. :laugh:

we can get mulch free here from the city every spring. they give it away until they run out. i live less than a mile away from the place they give it away. i hardly do mulch jobs though. i don't really care to do them and i've only been asked to do them a few times. most times it's a small job and i use bags. this job i'm doing is probably the biggest i've done yet and he is providing the mulch himself.

as far as my own yard i use pine straw which is free if you rake it up. :laugh: