PDA

View Full Version : JD 930a or Hustler X-one - Have to make a choice tomorrow!

zebu
12-04-2012, 04:09 AM
Tomorrow is crunch day on purchasing a Zero turn. I have looked and tested many and it comes down to a choice beetween the John Deere 930a 60" with MOD deck or a hustler x-one 60" with a VX deck.

Mowing about 7 acres of horse paddock/pasture (grass never gets that long, more about taking the top of the weeds off!)

Need some advice on the finer details for those that are more mechanically minded than me.

The hustler comes in $1000 cheaper.

Both machines seem very similar, both have Kawasaki FX motors (jd is 26hp, hustler 31hp) More is better yeah??

Hustler has the flex front forks, bonus, as my ground is uneven. undecided if they make a difference thou - the JD seems to have a much better seat to compensate.)

JD has the mod deck, which i like, as it protects house windows and passing cars from flying rocks.

Am I correct that the Hustler has a better hydralic system than the John Deere?

Down here in Oz i think the JD will have better resell value.

Any thoughs on which is the better unit. Grass is growing and I cant delay any longer!

mtchockey30
12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Get a super z

scotts lawn care
12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I love my 930a Z. I have the striping roller, suspension seat - which is much more comfortable then the stock seat!

I also added the comfort & convenience package - it's a button at the end of the hydro stick that operates a electric deck lift. The button on the other stick is a PTO shut off.

The cut is excellent with the 7iron Pro deck - I dont have the mod deck. If the grass is wet the mod deck may not side discharge as well as the standard deck.

The Kawasaki motor is ample power even in tall thick grass. No complaints with it.

Maintenance is easy - very few grease zerts, changing oil and filter is simple, fuel filter and air filter easy too. I highly recommend the 930a Z.

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Maybe you should read some of Mickhippy's threads/posts. He lives down there and has had issues with the VX4 deck leaving some serious clumping behind at the dsicharge side.

That said, I like the X-1, but would choose the 930 anyway. The 7 Iron doesn't have the same QOC issues that the new VX4 seems to in many places. I don't believe that the X-1 has any better hydraulics either. They don't use the Hyper Drive system that the SZ uses.

The actual HP on the 930 under the new rating system is 25.5 not 26 (not a big deal but wanted to point that out), while the Kawi's that Hustler is using on the X-1 have to be NOS engines because they are still wearing the older less accurate rating system stickers. The FX850 that they use that say 31 are now rated at a true 27 HP. I have one in my Z950/60" MOD. It is plenty of engine for that size deck.

I have not had any problems at all discharging wet grass with the MOD deck. It will get a little more build up under it than the standard 7 iron Pro deck does, but not that much. Certainly no where near as much as many other brands do.

retrodog
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
I am not a big deere fan so a little biased, but i say get the x1 and then add a grammer msg65 seat to it. For what u are ciutting i am sure the vx will be great, they have had updates to the deck... less than the deere, 4 year warranty, better motor, trans, no brainer for me. With the flex forks and the nice seat would be much better ride
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I am not a big deere fan so a little biased, but i say get the x1 and then add a grammer msg65 seat to it. For what u are ciutting i am sure the vx will be great, they have had updates to the deck... less than the deere, 4 year warranty, better motor, trans, no brainer for me. With the flex forks and the nice seat would be much better ride
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sure you know this RD, but it's the exact same engine. Only difference is the throttle plate on the FX 850 opens fully to allow more air/fuel mix into the carb compared the one on the FX 801. The rest of the emgine is virtually the same.

This was lifted right from Hustler's site just now for the X-1-

•2-year / no hour limit or 5 year / 500 hour limited warranty•Limited Lifetime warranty on the frame and leading edge of the deck

Deere has 3 years or 1500 hours whichever comes first, and/or 2 year unlimited hours. (if you go past 1500 hours in your first two years, the warranty doesn't go to 3 years, but if you are at say 1300 and reach 2 years, you are covered completely until you either hit 1500 hours or 3 years). Either way the Deere warranty is better than either the std X-1 or the new X-1i's.

Jimslawncareservice
12-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Tell me about all these updates to deere decks?
Posted via Mobile Device

KV9064
12-04-2012, 03:12 PM
John Deere but thats just my opinion

retrodog
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Didnt know they stepped up to the 5 year for homeowner, thats sweet. With 7 acres he is gonna average around 80 120 Hours a year assuming he cuts like we do, so the warranty is hella better than the 3 year deer warranty. Yeah, same block on motor, but the 850 magically produces more torque. Same with a kubota gas motor, its exactly identacle to the diesel motor, same components, but there is is still a substantial difference when u throw the diesel into the equation. They are almost same money too so most push into diesel just as most push into the 850 as a better setup. Hey green, guy wants to know how much torque his 31hp yanmar produces could u pm me for him? Its a 2010 997...
Posted via Mobile Device

ramcat
12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
We have a JD 950 with 1500 hours on it and no problems except a throttle cables and deck belts. The hydros are still smooth and responsive. I don't agree that the X1 has a better trans as was stated before. The trans on the deere has integrated pumps and motors so there are a lot less possible leak points and it has the cross porting which routes the cooler fluid to the pump and motor doing the most work. If you are going to be cutting weeds the JD 7-iron or the Scag Velocity decks are the way to go in my opinion.

Jimslawncareservice
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
We have a JD 950 with 1500 hours on it and no problems except a throttle cables and deck belts. The hydros are still smooth and responsive. I don't agree that the X1 has a better trans as was stated before. The trans on the deere has integrated pumps and motors so there are a lot less possible leak points and it has the cross porting which routes the cooler fluid to the pump and motor doing the most work. If you are going to be cutting weeds the JD 7-iron or the Scag Velocity decks are the way to go in my opinion.

Did you get an updated throttle cable? Mine broke at 300 hours. New one is way stronger. Cable is a lot smoother.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Didnt know they stepped up to the 5 year for homeowner, thats sweet. With 7 acres he is gonna average around 80 120 Hours a year assuming he cuts like we do, so the warranty is hella better than the 3 year deer warranty. Yeah, same block on motor, but the 850 magically produces more torque. Same with a kubota gas motor, its exactly identacle to the diesel motor, same components, but there is is still a substantial difference when u throw the diesel into the equation. They are almost same money too so most push into diesel just as most push into the 850 as a better setup. Hey green, guy wants to know how much torque his 31hp yanmar produces could u pm me for him? Its a 2010 997...
Posted via Mobile Device

RD,
That warranty is only on the frame and deck whereas Deere's is the entire machine. That makes the Deere a lot more appealing to me. Also, according to kawi the 801 and 850 both turn out 44.6 lb ft of torque. Only the HP is different.

I sent you a PM with the specs.:)

retrodog
12-04-2012, 04:37 PM

And lies another difference you go to the integrated on the hustler you go to the new xonei which is another $1500 cheaper or so makes $2500 difference from the deere with the same type of tranny. That is really the only thing money difference is the transmission hustler released it to be a price point with the lower cost setup like the deere integrated 3400's mentioned.... Like i said getting down and dirty i have never seen a deere outway another mower in value unless your dealer is amazing and the others aren't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 05:00 PM
And lies another difference you go to the integrated on the hustler you go to the new xonei which is another $1500 cheaper or so makes $2500 difference from the deere with the same type of tranny. That is really the only thing money difference is the transmission hustler released it to be a price point with the lower cost setup like the deere integrated 3400's mentioned.... Like i said getting down and dirty i have never seen a deere outway another mower in value unless your dealer is amazing and the others aren't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deere uses Kanzaki Tuff Torq transaxles. Not Hydrogear 3400's. the ones on the Deere are in the same class as the 5400 HG trans's (minus the two speed feature).

retrodog
12-04-2012, 05:01 PM
5 year is parts and labor on entire machine frame and deck will be lifetime... i know you like deere, sorry to be so negative about them, just alot of personal dealings with my buddies and deere, and the way they are getting treated with stihl stuff they buy there is crazy... our tractor dealers are not very turf friendly around here, in fact down right horrible... on the tranny dixon was carring the kanzaki along with some others and switched to 3400's on those machines for some reason. I am a huge 5400 fan, they are in another class for mowers. I have huge success with them here!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
It's true that I like Deere machines, but I don't like the company at all anymore and am seriously thinking about switching brands when the time comes in the future. I run a lot of their stuff outside of just lawncare, and have for a long time. It doesn't bother me when others badmouth them as long as they are being fair and honest in their beliefs, so no worries there.
The Kanzaki trans axles Deere uses were (to the best of my knowlege) entirely new units designed for Deere's machines when they were first introduced on the Deere Z's a few years ago. I may be wrong on that, but that is what I have been able to find out so far on them.

I misread the Hustler warranty so I apologize for the confusion on that. I'd still rather have the Deere warranty for anything over 2 acres of weekly cutting per season, and I say that based on the hours I normally put on a machine mowing a single 2 acre parcel I used to cut every season.

scotts lawn care
12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I forgot to mention the 930A Z has the 29 H.P. kawasaki engine. I think they upped the HP for the extra weight of the 9 series -

Compared to the lower HP of the 7 series: 737, 757, 797. For the weight difference both series have good power.

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I forgot to mention the 930A Z has the 29 H.P. kawasaki engine. I think they upped the HP for the extra weight of the 9 series -

Compared to the lower HP of the 7 series: 737, 757, 797. For the weight difference both series have good power.

That 29 number was under the old rating system. Under the new and much more accurate system Kawi now uses it is 25.5. Same engine, same actual HP to the deck and wheels, just different rating system.

zebu
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your in put...

And the decision is ................ John Deere

Dropped back into the JD dealer this morning. 10 secs on the machine and i knew it was the right one! Pickup in 5 days after the suspension seat gets fitted.

Plus the JD service was outstanding. The local hustler dealer was appalling!

Jimslawncareservice
12-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Good choice. You'll enjoy it!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I think you'll be quite happy with your decision. Here's a little eye candy for you until you get yours-

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Gun4Fun/Tractor%20pics/100_1490.jpg

boatcapt
12-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Zebu, that is the exact machine that I was debating on a two months ago. Posted on here and Ridin' and the guys assured me that the JD was a great machine. So far they were right. You made a good choice.

GMLC
12-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I think you'll be quite happy with your decision. Here's a little eye candy for you until you get yours-

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/Gun4Fun/Tractor%20pics/100_1490.jpg

Man thats a nice looking mower. The fit and finish looks great! I would love to see one in person.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
12-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks GMLC.

They do a nice job on them, I'll give 'em that. They have good looking welds, and their paint is usually excellent. I really like this machine, but it does need a suspension seat, and for what they cost new they should come stock with one like other manu's in the same price range do. The cut is good and they stripe nicely. I really like the layout of all of the controls too. Very simple and easy to use, and the foot brake is really nice. I've had green blood a long time now, but I can see it possibly turning more reddish in the future, at least where mowers are concerned.

retrodog
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Congrats man, it usually always comes down to the dealer. I was told by some contractors here that they didnt care if i wanted to sell them worldlawn, they would by anything i sold here cause they knew i would back it up....
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
12-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I don't want to change the subject, but what do you think about World Lawn and cut quality? My local dealer just picked them up this season because several guys already used them and others wanted the machines as well. The dealer would of course rather sell me my Toro's, but World Lawn has me a little interested.

-Michael

retrodog
12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
My buddy sells them in bonham and claims hes had good luck with them. They are very similiar to the exmark/toro. On the other hand i find chinese things do break more than american, so if your handy, dont mind spending a little more on your oh crap box (box most lcos carry with top replacement parts, you might enjoy your savings... i personally would like to see you in a better lower priced unit like a bobcat, gravely, or badboy, or even something promo from a premium brand. I see alot of 226v grasshoppers running around with 0 issues for around used heavily commercial foron $7000...
Posted via Mobile Device

rwreuter
07-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your in put...

And the decision is ................ John Deere

Dropped back into the JD dealer this morning. 10 secs on the machine and i knew it was the right one! Pickup in 5 days after the suspension seat gets fitted.

Plus the JD service was outstanding. The local hustler dealer was appalling!

Congrats on your new purchase!!!

BTW....I own a 2012 Hustler X-One 60"

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
07-03-2013, 09:09 AM
35 hours on my x-one I bought a month ago and I love it. 2013 model $8,900 w/flex forks and big cushion seat.

-Michael