PDA

View Full Version : At a Crossroad...

noahb195
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm at a crossroad in my life. In 2 years I will be graduating high school. I have 2 passions: 1. to be a game warden/K-9 officer, 2. Owning a small construction company. One part of me says join the Marines and serve my country and get my college degree while I'm in, and then strive to be a game warden/Cop. The other I see myself working on my own and digging in the dirt. I'm the kind of guy that no matter what I do I'm going to do it right. It might take me longer than others. If your not going to do it right then whats it worth doing.

I know getting into the business is not should I say a walk in the park. There's going to be complications of course. I just have 2 passions and I want to make the right choice. I dont want to look back 15 years down the road and say I should of done that that or this.

Any advice would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks, Noah

TriCountyLawn
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Who could afford to be a cop ? lol

noahb195
12-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Who could afford to be a cop ? lol

Ha yep that's one of the set backs to that one cops start here around $30,000-$35,000

TriCountyLawn
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I was where you are at. Luckily getting into the Marines didnt fully work out . IMO as I matured and once I was able to see that whole thing for what it was I am really happy that I didn't go that route.

I did the police explorer program as a kid, dabbled with the reserve and also kinda saw out that whole thing a bit. Low pay, really owned by the job, so much politics and to boot alot of stuff you wont unsee in that line of work.

That stuff just wasn't for me. I don't second guess taking the contractor route.

Best of luck to you.

noahb195
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I was where you are at. Luckily getting into the Marines didnt fully work out . IMO as I matured and once I was able to see that whole thing for what it was I am really happy that I didn't go that route.

I did the police explorer program as a kid, dabbled with the reserve and also kinda saw out that whole thing a bit. Low pay, really owned by the job, so much politics and to boot alot of stuff you wont unsee in that line of work.

That stuff just wasn't for me. I don't second guess taking the contractor route.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice!

Danny Boy
12-04-2012, 06:45 PM
If I were you I would travel to some foreign countries for at least a year, Europe and or south america, dont be in any rush to get the career going before you see the world... Best education you will ever get:)

alldayrj
12-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Cops around here make 100k after 5 years and all own businesses on the side. That being said, enlist, have uncle sam pay for your school, and figure it out after
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm at a crossroad in my life. In 2 years I will be graduating high school. I have 2 passions: 1. to be a game warden/K-9 officer, 2. Owning a small construction company. One part of me says join the Marines and serve my country and get my college degree while I'm in, and then strive to be a game warden/Cop. The other I see myself working on my own and digging in the dirt. I'm the kind of guy that no matter what I do I'm going to do it right. It might take me longer than others. If your not going to do it right then whats it worth doing.

I know getting into the business is not should I say a walk in the park. There's going to be complications of course. I just have 2 passions and I want to make the right choice. I dont want to look back 15 years down the road and say I should of done that that or this.

Any advice would be strongly appreciated.

Thanks, Noah

Id join the ROTC and go full bore Marine and stick with it for 25 years and get fulll retirement. Dont overlook the Army, its eaiser to stick with and generally has more opportunities.

noahb195
12-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Id join the ROTC and go full bore Marine and stick with it for 25 years and get fulll retirement. Dont overlook the Army, its eaiser to stick with and generally has more opportunities.

All you have great points and I really appreciate yall sharing them with me. I have thought about making a career out of the military. Full benefits and a nice check for the rest of my life that doesn't sound too bad.

YellowDogSVC
12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
You can serve your country as a cop, game warden, small business owner or marine. The marines, as you know, have a pretty good college tuition gi bill. You will probably need a degree to move up as a cop and probably need a degree to become a game warden. The service as a marine would help you achieve a lot because you will learn discipline. Military service helps get you into civil service and especially law enforcement.
You could even be a seabee and learn a lot about construction, get a degree, and still run a business.

Good luck!

gene gls
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
All you have great points and I really appreciate yall sharing them with me. I have thought about making a career out of the military. Full benefits and a nice check for the rest of my life that doesn't sound too bad.

And 20 years goes by rather fast as you age. Many times I have wished that I had stayed in the Army for the pension at 40+years old. My mistake at the time was, I didn't look far enough down the road to see all the benifits after army life. Good Luck in your disisson.

noahb195
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody.

badbart
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Cops around here make 100k after 5 years and all own businesses on the side. That being said, enlist, have uncle sam pay for your school, and figure it out after
Posted via Mobile Device

What he said!! I was a cop. It's a very satisfying job. It also works out where you can probably own a business on the side if you like. Many of my friends do. My schedule had me working only 14 days per month.

And 20 years goes by rather fast as you age. Many times I have wished that I had stayed in the Army for the pension at 40+years old. My mistake at the time was, I didn't look far enough down the road to see all the benifits after army life. Good Luck in your disisson.

I was also in the Navy for 4 years. At the time another 16 years seemed like forever. Now I see my buddys that stayed in retired, don't have to work....Oh well, live and learn. But the military experience helped me get the cop job! Looks good on a resume!

KrayzKajun
12-05-2012, 10:08 PM

i second this. i got out after 8years. i should have stayed in and switched to heavy equipment operator and built up a side business then retire at 38, and woohoo start my own. o well we learn from our decisions.

i recommend the military to many. it changed my life for the better and me the man,husband, business owner and soon to be father i am now.

ksss
12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
I was where you are at. Luckily getting into the Marines didnt fully work out . IMO as I matured and once I was able to see that whole thing for what it was I am really happy that I didn't go that route. Best of luck to you.

"Didn't fully work out"? I am sure there is a story here, which ended in failure. Once you "matured"? Really? How about you once you realized you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Somehow I bet the Marine Corps is the one that is lucky (and anyone who would have been unfortunate enough to had to have served with your broke dik asss).

I respect anyone's decision to not join the military. I dont respect someone who's personal failure is justified by disparging a military organization with a history as storied as the United States Marine Corps. "Seeing that whole thing for what it was"? What it "was", is what it is. An elite fighting organization that tolerates neither weakness or failure.

Junior M
12-06-2012, 06:36 AM
no matter what you decide, strive to be the absolute best.

never slack off, That will cost you more in the long run than anything

TriCountyLawn
12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
"Didn't fully work out"? I am sure there is a story here, which ended in failure. Once you "matured"? Really? How about you once you realized you didn't have the intestinal fortitude to wear the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Somehow I bet the Marine Corps is the one that is lucky (and anyone who would have been unfortunate enough to had to have served with your broke dik asss).

I respect anyone's decision to not join the military. I dont respect someone who's personal failure is justified by disparging a military organization with a history as storied as the United States Marine Corps. "Seeing that whole thing for what it was"? What it "was", is what it is. An elite fighting organization that tolerates neither weakness or failure.

Wow.....haha I knew this would grab the attention of a jarhead
I would happy to counter your question (if there is one in there) but sounds like you have it and me figured out.

all ferris
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Ummm....you're a sophomore or junior in HS....what about not worrying about careers and start doing the thing every HS boy should be doing...GIRLS. Chasing tail and having fun should be top on your priority list right now. Here is the best advice I could give any HS boy (and this refers to chicks): Lower your standards and up your average.

You are pretty young to be worried about starting a business or becoming a game warden.

digginanddumpin
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I was in similar shoes about ten years ago I wanted to work in the dirt but enjoyed Public Service work too. I couldn't find anyone willing to give a 22 year old kid keys to a machine so I went into law enforcement and have been here ten years. I also now own my own small excavating company, which is growing slowly but steadily. I only work 14 days a month in my law enforcement job, and about 10 days a month for myself. My days in the dirt keep me sane enough to deal with the "interesting" people I see the rest of the month.

Good Luck
John

noahb195
12-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Ummm....you're a sophomore or junior in HS....what about not worrying about careers and start doing the thing every HS boy should be doing...GIRLS. Chasing tail and having fun should be top on your priority list right now. Here is the best advice I could give any HS boy (and this refers to chicks): Lower your standards and up your average.

You are pretty young to be worried about starting a business or becoming a game warden.

Hey bo don't worry about that its covered.

And thanks everybody else for the awesome advice.

coopers
12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
You are at the same crossroads I was at numerous years ago. I chose the cop route. They pay quite well in WA so that's not an issue...but my schedule is less than desirable for other qualities of life I wish I could enjoy. But for now, that's how things roll.

Without boring other people here all I have to say is be very thoughtful in your decision making and DO NOT RUSH decisions. All three choices you have in front of you will serve your community well and all three have their pros and cons.

It's important you think in the future on these major life changing decisions because it'll only keep you adaptable as life throughs some wicked curve balls at ya.

Good luck and always feel free to PM me if you have questions.

noahb195
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
You are at the same crossroads I was at numerous years ago. I chose the cop route. They pay quite well in WA so that's not an issue...but my schedule is less than desirable for other qualities of life I wish I could enjoy. But for now, that's how things roll.

Without boring other people here all I have to say is be very thoughtful in your decision making and DO NOT RUSH decisions. All three choices you have in front of you will serve your community well and all three have their pros and cons.

It's important you think in the future on these major life changing decisions because it'll only keep you adaptable as life throughs some wicked curve balls at ya.

Good luck and always feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to PM you.

stuvecorp
12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I would say check out at school what programs(or internship) there might be. That way you can 'try' things out and see how you like things without a life altering decision. Also try working at a construction company for a summer, you will get a feel of what it's like.

My biggest tip would be not to limit yourself and look at everything.

noahb195
12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
I would say check out at school what programs(or internship) there might be. That way you can 'try' things out and see how you like things without a life altering decision. Also try working at a construction company for a summer, you will get a feel of what it's like.

My biggest tip would be not to limit yourself and look at everything.

I would love to work for a construction company over the summer. But like everything else in the south a good portion of construction companies are family operated. Not many people see much "hope" in a 16 year old kid.

stuvecorp
12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I would love to work for a construction company over the summer. But like everything else in the south a good portion of construction companies are family operated. Not many people see much "hope" in a 16 year old kid.

I know what you mean and it is a shame, that's how I bet many of us got our first experience.

AWJ Services
12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
My advice is too broaden your horizon a little and keep looking at different occupations. The construction industry is a terrible industry here in the south.

There are certain fields that gurantee you a job pretty much. Jobs as an LEO , medical fields, military, etc.

bj1bmx
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
i agree with alldayrj. around here the cops start in the 60k's and are making 100k within 5 years. also true that most have side landscaping/carpentry/etc businesses because of their compacted work schedule. plus, you get public employee benefits and holidays.

take the perks of the public sector and then start a small side business where you can choose the jobs you want and charge the prices you want rather than taking on work just to keep yourself and your employees busy. lets face it, in most areas of the country, the landscape and construction industries are hurting and the government is certainly not pro-business at the moment.

enjoy your youth. travel. relax. dream.

i went to college and had a landscaping company on the side. when i graduated, i stuck with the business because i was making more than i could working for someone else in an office. what you dont realize at the time is that health insurance costs, no retirement package, etc. take a toll on your wallet and your mental health.

i'd find a good paying public sector job with benefits and run a seasonal side business a few hours each night or on weekends if i could go back in time. (in fact, i am working on that time machine at the moment..)

noahb195
11-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Just thought I would update this thread a little bit from last year. I am now a Junior in high school and having a little bit of fun in the process. After a few very long talks with my dad I have made my decision to join the Military(Marines preferably)if they will pick me up. I plan on serving 8-10 years and go reserve afterwards to reap the retirement benefits after 20 years of service. Most likely I will pursue the cop/game warden career path because I am a Law Enforcement major and I feel like I would really enjoy it. After I am out of the Military and I'm all set up with a police department, I plan on starting up a small construction business to keep the cash flowing and to give me something to do on my days off. I'm really looking forward to this endeavor and I really appreciate all the great advice from many of you over the last few years.

Thanks,
Noah

Junior M
11-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Best of luck to ya! If you need anything let me know! I am not far away!
Posted via Mobile Device

noahb195
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Best of luck to ya! If you need anything let me know! I am not far away!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks buddy, If you need any help on the weekends or in the summer just hit me up. Hows the new truck treating you?

ksss
11-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Good on you! I did 8 years in the USMC 0311-0321. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Its an asskicking lifestyle, embrace it and it will treat you well!

Junior M
11-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks buddy, If you need any help on the weekends or in the summer just hit me up. Hows the new truck treating you?

Dahh. It's a truck! Had to take the fuel water separator apart Saturday cause it went in to this like limp mode after it told me to drain it. I couldn't get anything to come out so I had to take it all apart..

We'll have to try and do some hunting one weekend!
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
11-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Best decision I ever made was enlisting in the Army. I served 8yrs. Two combat tours in Iraq. The military truly helped me become the person i am today.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcbailey
11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Ya, while you're in high school LIVE IN THE PRESENT, I know you need to plan for the future, but you still have a whole other year... From the time I was 8 years old all I ever wanted to do is be a pilot in the AF. I had talked to recruiters, took the tests, everything.... then my senior year I got my back messed up pretty good and the AF said "thanks, but no thanks". This was in '98. I don't know if they have eased their entry standards any or not, but that absolutely killed me for a long time. You don't know what tomorrow holds, so enjoy today.

Once you get into the "real world" you definitely need to have long term goals and a mindset. I still wonder what it could have been for me, but I'm thankful that now 15 years past high school I've got a great business, a great wife, two great boys.

Best of luck to you, I hope you have a great career, but like I said, enjoy the present. High school seems sooooo trivial now. I think there's maybe 3 people I graduated with that I still have "regular" interaction with. Some of my better (for lack of judgement) memories are from college. Truly good times... Then the bills start coming in! haha

flamed69
11-05-2013, 09:30 AM
While I never had the privilege of serving in the military, I have spent some time in law enforcement and now am a detection K9 handler working in schools and such. Working with a dog can be very rewarding if you have the patience. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Have talked with a few military dog trainers, could be pretty fun and give you a great head start for when you get out.

noahb195
11-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Good on you! I did 8 years in the USMC 0311-0321. One of the best decisions I have ever made. Its an asskicking lifestyle, embrace it and it will treat you well!

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to it the more I think about it. My plan is to go 03 field and hope to get the LAV crewman slot. Thank you for your service!:usflag:

Dahh. It's a truck! Had to take the fuel water separator apart Saturday cause it went in to this like limp mode after it told me to drain it. I couldn't get anything to come out so I had to take it all apart..

We'll have to try and do some hunting one weekend!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah man that blows at least you got er worked out. But yes! We need to go. I'm so ashamed of myself I've only been hunting 3 times thus far this season but have seen deer everytime. I'll PM you my number.

Best decision I ever made was enlisting in the Army. I served 8yrs. Two combat tours in Iraq. The military truly helped me become the person i am today.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with you 100% Jacob. Thanks for all that you did over there!:usflag::usflag:

Ya, while you're in high school LIVE IN THE PRESENT, I know you need to plan for the future, but you still have a whole other year... From the time I was 8 years old all I ever wanted to do is be a pilot in the AF. I had talked to recruiters, took the tests, everything.... then my senior year I got my back messed up pretty good and the AF said "thanks, but no thanks". This was in '98. I don't know if they have eased their entry standards any or not, but that absolutely killed me for a long time. You don't know what tomorrow holds, so enjoy today.

Once you get into the "real world" you definitely need to have long term goals and a mindset. I still wonder what it could have been for me, but I'm thankful that now 15 years past high school I've got a great business, a great wife, two great boys.

Best of luck to you, I hope you have a great career, but like I said, enjoy the present. High school seems sooooo trivial now. I think there's maybe 3 people I graduated with that I still have "regular" interaction with. Some of my better (for lack of judgement) memories are from college. Truly good times... Then the bills start coming in! haha

I understand where you are coming from and I really appreciate your input on the subject. Its just my personality I like to have a plan and know where I'm going with my life. But it sounds like you made the best of what happened with your back.

While I never had the privilege of serving in the military, I have spent some time in law enforcement and now am a detection K9 handler working in schools and such. Working with a dog can be very rewarding if you have the patience. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Have talked with a few military dog trainers, could be pretty fun and give you a great head start for when you get out.

Thats really cool man. I had the opportunity to talk with a K-9 officer and they do some really cool things. I wouldn't mind becoming one after the military. All the K-9 units here drive sweet lowered blacked out Tahoes.

bakertbyc
11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
dude unles you have some gay job that never gets deployed like admin or some crap ypu wont have time for school in the corps. true im in a high speed mos but sill you wont have time

noahb195
11-05-2013, 08:42 PM
dude unles you have some gay job that never gets deployed like admin or some crap ypu wont have time for school in the corps. true im in a high speed mos but sill you wont have time

I've heard this before, there is no way im gonna do admin. If I don't have time so be it. I have plenty of time afterwards. What is your MOS if you dont mind me asking?

ducnut
11-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Agreed. Unless you do an ROTC program or the like, your schooling will take a backseat to everything else. I can assure you, there will be people in your enlisted command who will make sure you, the threatening enlisted man, does not excel over them. They will do what they can to keep you from getting to class. Get your education beforehand, enroll in ROTC, or forget school.

bakertbyc
11-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Im in recon now and dont go infantry! get an mos that will help you when you get out, also 8 years in the marines good luck after my 5 im out dude theres no wars going on its going to be gay as ****! also if your serious about the marines do pullups, be able to do 20 pullups, 20 min or less 3 mile and 100 crunches in less than 2 mins if you want anymore info hit me up im active duty now so i got a good grasp on whats to be expected.