PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and Stratton Quantum Edge Help!

kawasaki guy
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
The recoil is really hard to pull and won't start.. It sat for 1 month, I go to start it up for some leaf cleanups, and I can barely pull the cord.

It is a good thing I got the Lawnboy 10227 when I did!

:help::)

Thanks!

IT HAD OIL IN IT DURING STORAGE AHD THE GAS TANK WAS DRAINED!

jiggz
12-04-2012, 06:52 PM
take the spark plug out and tell us If its still hard to pull.

Can you turn the blade? make sure the plug is out when you do this lol

kawasaki guy
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
take the spark plug out and tell us If its still hard to pull.

Can you turn the blade? make sure the plug is out when you do this lol

I did take out the plug. it was still hard. The blade was a little easier, but not much.

TheOctagon
12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
The recoil is really hard to pull and won't start.. It sat for 1 month, I go to start it up for some leaf cleanups, and I can barely pull the cord.

It is a good thing I got the Lawnboy 10227 when I did!

:help::)

Thanks!

IT HAD OIL IN IT DURING STORAGE AHD THE GAS TANK WAS DRAINED!

Sounds like your cable isnt pulling the brake/kill wire off the flywheel.

kawasaki guy
12-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Sounds like your cable isnt pulling the brake/kill wire off the flywheel.

but, the machine does not have a bail bar, but it does have a kill switch.

TheOctagon
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
but, the machine does not have a bail bar, but it does have a kill switch.

hmm what unit are you working with?

kawasaki guy
12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
my mower: Snapper Hi-Vac

herler
12-04-2012, 10:07 PM
I would first see if the blade is in any way obstructed, sometimes a stick or some thick clump of turf lodges itself between the deck and the blade making it almost impossible to start, turning the blade backwards from regular rotation could help clear this up, should that be the problem... I'd wear some kind of gloves to do this.

Otherwise...

Sounds like oil in your cylinder which could come from tipping the mower backwards. If tipping backwards was the cause then the mower should be fine once you burn all the oil out of the cylinder, you'll have to see if you can dump some compressed air in through that spark plug hole and watch your eyes in case some mess comes flying out, that would be my guess is the engine's cylinder is filled with oil and in some cases it could be water from rain although that is rare, but you'll have to see if there's anything in there and then try and clean it best you can, I would also continue to try and turn that blade.

And if it still don't work...
Well, try those things first.

newz7151
12-05-2012, 01:21 AM
my mower: Snapper Hi-Vac

... did you pull this engine off of something else and stick it on here? Your spring on the engine brake is still connected, so with that connected and no cable or other mechanism to pull it and release it, it's still riding up against the flywheel and acting like the engine brake should.. maybe you... had it wired open before and at some point your wire broke and fell off from the strain and you didn't notice it? take that big spring off in your last picture and see if it is still hard to start...

Richard Martin
12-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Yes, pull that plastic cover off and see what's going on under there.

kawasaki guy
12-05-2012, 06:54 AM
... did you pull this engine off of something else and stick it on here? Your spring on the engine brake is still connected, so with that connected and no cable or other mechanism to pull it and release it, it's still riding up against the flywheel and acting like the engine brake should.. maybe you... had it wired open before and at some point your wire broke and fell off from the strain and you didn't notice it? take that big spring off in your last picture and see if it is still hard to start...

yes, I did stick a new engine on at one point.

It could be the spring because the mower started on the first pull until now.

kymowboy
12-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Since the flywheel brake assembly is in place and the engine ran at one point, whatever was holding the brake off the flywheel has either broken or fell off.
The CPSC approved fix would be to install a "operator present" bail assembly and cable so the mower is safe to use.
Some other possible alternatives might to be install another device to pull the brake away from the flywheel (wire, coat hanger, zip tie) or remove the spring(s), or completely remove the brake assembly, if you are willing to assume all risk of removing a safety feature from this mower.
I installed a "newer" engines on an old aluminum Craftsman deck that didn't have the bail and simply removed the spring.

kawasaki guy
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Since the flywheel brake assembly is in place and the engine ran at one point, whatever was holding the brake off the flywheel has either broken or fell off.
The CPSC approved fix would be to install a "operator present" bail assembly and cable so the mower is safe to use.
Some other possible alternatives might to be install another device to pull the brake away from the flywheel (wire, coat hanger, zip tie) or remove the spring(s), or completely remove the brake assembly, if you are willing to assume all risk of removing a safety feature from this mower.
I installed a "newer" engines on an old aluminum Craftsman deck that didn't have the bail and simply removed the spring.

What is in the pics is how the dealer rigged it for me when I replaced engine.