PDA

View Full Version : CAbover vs One ton dump

quickmow
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Been looking at cabover Isuzu trucks to get a larger body mainly for mulch delivery and brush/debris removal. My one ton dump is too small.

Does anybody have recommendations on a cabover or similar size truck (like a freightliner or ford 6 yard dump). I would like to have 4wd and it seems very hard to find in a cabover. Also trying to keep the price below 40 grand for new or very close to it... Probably puts me in a gas engine, but maybe not if used??

Puddle of Oil
12-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Fg4x4 fuso by Mitsubishi makes 4x4. MSRP is like 43k with a diesel that comes standard, no gas. I've been tossing around the idea too. Subscribing to see more opinions.

BrandonV
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Unless you're really wanting to tow something the cabover is definitely the way to go especially for deliveries, simply for maneuverability and the weight load capacity is just outstanding.
Posted via Mobile Device

quickmow
12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I would like to tow a 10k trailer. Will the cabover handle that ok?

AI Inc
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I was hit head on by a woman who crossed the center line while taslking on her phone.
I was driving an Isuzu. Took me out for the entire season, only thing that saved me is I wasnt wearing a seatbelt as her car litteraly came thru the drivers seat.
I will never step foot in a cabover agaiin.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
We have 2 mitsu 4*4, one isuzu , and one mitsu 2wheel.
4*4 are fine but in my opinion they are nott the truck to be in and out of all day, they are too tall and are a pain to climb in and out of.
The isuzu and mitsu that are 2 wheel drive both have 12 ft. Bodies, one is a rack and the other is aa trash body and we absolutely love them.
One hauls a sixteen foot enclosed daily and the other an eighteen foot enclosed daily.
The isuzu has the four cylinder and the mitsu has the six cylinder both do fine.
We like the cabovers because they are nimble, they dont squat, and they are fairly efficient on fuel.
Downsides tto cabovers.........
They go through tires more quickly, they go through trailer tires more quickly, you will want to extend trailer tongues to avoid jacknifing, if you live in a salt area you will want to spend a day each fall scuffing and painting frame and body as they have lots of nooks and crannys. But to us thats just maintenance.
Good luck with your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

quickmow
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all your responses. For those of you that love cabovers, what is it that makes them appealing? I am looking for something that is more reliable/better constructed that the domestic one tons, and less costly to operate. Will the cabover meet that criteria?

exmarkking
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
I have a Mitsubishi fuso and wouldn't trade it for anything. They are easy to maint, durable, reliable, and can haul a lot. I wish mine was faster but I don't ever get on the highway with it in my town. I feel like they are very safe, as it seems that any normal sized vehicle would go underneath the truck in a head on collision. anything SUV size or bigger isn't going to feel good with any vehicle your driving head on. Glad that guy is ok. As far as working out of them, I like it , and they are made for this kind of work. They turn good, stop good, easy to perform maint since the cab flips up to expose the motor, and they look professional when you pull up to a customers house.
Posted via Mobile Device

NY Mark
12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I have just converted some of our conventional pick ups to cab overs. We use Mitsubishi fg 4x4 with switch and go systems on both. I have a folding sides dump bed, 10 yd container, flat bed, chipper body, and a salter. All go on and off inside of 3 minutes. Best thing I have ever did. Both set up with plows, 5 year, 175,000 power train warranty. Best fuel mileage in its class. I have talked to many truck builders and they all said the same thing. That the Mitsubishi was the way to go. Happy truck shopping.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
That switch and go sure sounds like a good option.

What does that add to the truck.,

RSK Property Maintenance
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
my dad has a mitsu cab over, with a 12ft dump body, 7 or 8 ft wide with 4 ft high sides on it, it can legally carry the same weight as an f450 dump, it can tow the same, its really not bad on fuel either his is 2wd, and it has an open differential probably to help with fuel economy, but it is very nice for chipping, junk removal, mulch jobs. i have had 15 yards of mulch in it at one time, dumped it with no issues, brakes handled it well, but the 6cylinder in line 6 diesel could have used more power. i rented it him a lot in the over the spring, and summer. he bought his with 12,000 miles so it was pretty much new still. only down side for me, is it is 2wd, i bit awkward to back a chipper into a driveway with because it is so big, but that size dump body was a life saver on so many jobs. I've filled it full of oak logs 2ft in diameter and it dumped it no issues. really is a work horse. i could imagine with a chip box it could hold closer to 18 yards of chips.

Weekend cut easymoney
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
I have just converted some of our conventional pick ups to cab overs. We use Mitsubishi fg 4x4 with switch and go systems on both. I have a folding sides dump bed, 10 yd container, flat bed, chipper body, and a salter. All go on and off inside of 3 minutes. Best thing I have ever did. Both set up with plows, 5 year, 175,000 power train warranty. Best fuel mileage in its class. I have talked to many truck builders and they all said the same thing. That the Mitsubishi was the way to go. Happy truck shopping.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd love to see photos...i like the idea of swaping for different functions:weightlifter:

Dan85
12-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I've had a bit of experience driving cab-overs; we have 2wd Isuzu dumps and most recently we purchased a 2012 Mitsubishi Fuso 4wd.

The Fuso is 4wd, so it sits up incredibly high due to the solid front axle, this makes getting in and out quite an exercise. Ours has a an auto/manual transmission - I would recommend going with a manual transmission, if possible. The auto has been real finicky, especially during the first 2,000 miles and especially when towing any sort of load. Lots of random downshifts where the engine revs and the tach jumps real high. In the beginning the truck seemed to shift haphazardly - winding all the way out before it would shift. The truck is also really jerky and seems to have a fair bit of lag. There is no tow/haul mode, but there is an exhaust brake. Fuel economy seems to hover around 11-12mpg, with the highest I ever saw being 14mpg.

Our setup is with a 10' bed and a behind the cab toolbox; it's been loaded pretty good and doesn't squat too badly. We have a plow for it, but have yet to try plowing with it - I'm not looking forward to using it.

The 2wd Izuzus are tanks. They're much more peppy. They have 12' beds and can haul a pretty good sized load. I much prefer the 2wd to the 4wd. Again, towing with a load (skid steer) is a little bit of a struggle.

RSK Property Maintenance
12-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I will agree with that the 2wd towing could use more power when towing a mini x or skid steer, and the allision auto is always shifting, and has to be revved out a good amount to shift otherwise it hangs gears, and the dealer said its normal, so i just drive 3/4 throttle all the time, no issues in 70,000 miles
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
12-11-2012, 07:39 PM
the only automatic 4x4 is a 2012 mitsubishi fuso...mitsubishi is also the only make to offer 4x4 up to 2012, but only in a manual...as far as employees and plowing goes, i would rather have an auto, but as far as power goes, i would rather have a manual...overall i would love to have a 2012 auto 4x4 fuso...the isuzu NPR's are good trucks too, i just hate to be without 4x4, if we could have a mow truck in the growing season and a plow truck in the off season then you wouldn't have to have two different trucks...they are extremely expensive tho (fuso) for how basic they are, around the $45,000 mark...

gene gls
12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
the only automatic 4x4 is a 2012 mitsubishi fuso...mitsubishi is also the only make to offer 4x4 up to 2012, but only in a manual...as far as employees and plowing goes, i would rather have an auto, but as far as power goes, i would rather have a manual...overall i would love to have a 2012 auto 4x4 fuso...the isuzu NPR's are good trucks too, i just hate to be without 4x4, if we could have a mow truck in the growing season and a plow truck in the off season then you wouldn't have to have two different trucks...they are extremely expensive tho (fuso) for how basic they are, around the $45,000 mark...

1 ton pickups are pushing $40,000.

jbell36
12-11-2012, 10:17 PM
1 ton pickups are pushing $40,000.

is that good or bad?

my 2008 F-250 power stroke, crew cab, 4x4, 20" wheels, black on black, leather, sunroof, Fx4 was $53,000 brand new (i didn't buy it brand new, second owner)...to have a basic work truck that is anywhere NEAR that price range is absolutely insane to me...

NY Mark
12-11-2012, 10:57 PM
@dan85 and others with 2012 Mitsubishi fuso, you may not know but there is recall on the transmissions. We had both of our replaced. It was a a simple fix, dealer dropped the transmission in and out in one day. There was a problem when they tooled to transmission. Since it is made in 3 sections and is sealed and not serviceable they warranted it. We also found out at the GIE EXPO, Mitsubishi said that there is another software update. It's pretty easy they just flash the computer. After our new transmissions we still have the similar shifting issues and were told should be taken care of in the next software update. It was not the news
that I wanted to hear but it was quick And easy.

Dan85
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
@dan85 and others with 2012 Mitsubishi fuso, you may not know but there is recall on the transmissions. We had both of our replaced. It was a a simple fix, dealer dropped the transmission in and out in one day. There was a problem when they tooled to transmission. Since it is made in 3 sections and is sealed and not serviceable they warranted it. We also found out at the GIE EXPO, Mitsubishi said that there is another software update. It's pretty easy they just flash the computer. After our new transmissions we still have the similar shifting issues and were told should be taken care of in the next software update. It was not the news
that I wanted to hear but it was quick And easy.

Mark - Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check into that. It's definitely not as bad as when we first got it, but it still doesn't seem 100% right.

lazor-cut
12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all your responses. For those of you that love cabovers, what is it that makes them appealing? I am looking for something that is more reliable/better constructed that the domestic one tons, and less costly to operate. Will the cabover meet that criteria?

Cabovers are the BOMB plowing with.. Thats why I bought my isuzu... The view is great. You literally feel like youre at the imax movie theater. Only down side is they only coe in 2wd.. So i always had to have a load of salt in the bed just to plow a significant snow fall... i will say it you're not a good driver in the snow you will get stuck.. We plow streets and stuff and it was fine aslong as you kept moving.

Now for landscaping you couldnt beat it. I pulled a 24' trailer with it everyday ast year

I wouldnt get a freightliner unless i realllyyyy needed it. You have to be doing a lot of landscape jobs and deliveries for that truck.