PDA

View Full Version : walker gas vs diesel

mds2000
12-04-2012, 11:23 PM
I have been reading the old posts about the walker diesels but don't see much in the terms of diesel vs gas
I have a three year old mt efi 26 with about 450 hrs now and have another contractor interested in buying it in the spring and and making it able to upgrade to the diesel and was wondering if any of the walker owners had any input for me and i am aware of the price factor of it

i currently run a 42 ghs deck , a 74 inch side discharge deck , and a 42 inch snow blower

cheers
:canadaflag:

ashgrove landscaping
12-05-2012, 02:41 AM
Diesel is more expensive all around and not worth it.. just a pissing contest really...

joemower
12-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Stick with your 26 EFI. The extra weight and price would outweigh the benefits in your case. The extra torque would be nice for your 74" deck but overkill for your 42" deck and troublesome in the cold weather for your snow blower. With a Diesel you will also have to worry about not damaging the cooling system. With all that said the diesel is a nice option if you plan on putting more than 4000 hours on a machine. Last year we purchased a MBSY with a diesel and kind of wish we kept with the EFI option mainly because of the weight and size issues. We have had great success with all of our EFIs and usually get 2000+ hours out of them without any major issues. Your machine has low hours on it, stick with it! :waving:

jrs.landscaping
12-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Diesel, nothing really to compare. Ours were only $400 more than the 31 efi. Better torque, fuel economy, unit lifespan. Also they are only around 120lbs heavier. Anyone who says a gas unit is better has never operated a diesel. I have operated both and will never go back to a gas unit.

mds2000
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Joemower I have already had some issues with the efi motor first the charging coil ( about 150 hrs )went on the first cut of the season this year I have had to replace a regulator rectifier and a stupid expensive wire harness( about 350 hrs) ( that took about 4 weeks to get) as they started to smoulder away luckily I smelt burning wires and unplugged it before flames
Posted via Mobile Device

joemower
12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Joemower I have already had some issues with the efi motor first the charging coil ( about 150 hrs )went on the first cut of the season this year I have had to replace a regulator rectifier and a stupid expensive wire harness( about 350 hrs) ( that took about 4 weeks to get) as they started to smoulder away luckily I smelt burning wires and unplugged it before flames
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

joemower
12-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow mds2000, that's unfortunate that you have those problems already. We've only hade isues with the O2 sensors. I do have one with 2000 hrs on it now that has a bad charging system on it. Like I stated earlier the diesel is a good option just in most cases it could be overkill. I'm not a big fan of the 31 efi either. We've just have had good luck with our 26 efi. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

mds2000
12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow mds2000, that's unfortunate that you have those problems already. We've only hade isues with the O2 sensors. I do have one with 2000 hrs on it now that has a bad charging system on it. Like I stated earlier the diesel is a good option just in most cases it could be overkill. I'm not a big fan of the 31 efi either. We've just have had good luck with our 26 efi. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the input joemower and the thought of a suspension seat when doing a couple of my 5 acher property's would be nice an the fact I already have a buyer is the hard part not to say no
Posted via Mobile Device