PDA

View Full Version : Marking dye

williams lcm
12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I usually add marking dye to my weed control. No more!!!! Got a call from my customer saying she was trying to wash it off her cat and herself. She was shrubing and it would not come off. A little of it got sprayed on the side of the house at the bottom near the weedy flowerbed and she was also trying to get that off. She was pissed. I told her sunlight will break it down. She says if it dont come off that she wants the siding replaced. No more dye for me. Anyone have a problem with this stuff?

mowerbrad
12-05-2012, 07:47 PM
We used a dye when we would spot spray weeds at my uncle's blueberry farm. I can't remember what it stuff it was exactly, it was a blue dye. It definitely was tough to get off if you got any on your skin but it always came out. I had it on my clothes and it always came out in the wash.

StanWilhite
12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I usually add marking dye to my weed control. No more!!!! Got a call from my customer saying she was trying to wash it off her cat and herself. She was shrubing and it would not come off. A little of it got sprayed on the side of the house at the bottom near the weedy flowerbed and she was also trying to get that off. She was pissed. I told her sunlight will break it down. She says if it dont come off that she wants the siding replaced. No more dye for me. Anyone have a problem with this stuff?

I'll bet if you called or emailed the company and told them your situation, they would be happy to tell you the best way to remove it.

Duekster
12-05-2012, 10:11 PM
It is a mess for sure but it does go away. Maybe you used turf paint instead of marker? Paint would were longer and be harder to remove.

cpllawncare
12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Why do you even need to use dye?

hi_speedreed
12-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Why do you even need to use dye?

When you are spraying large areas it keeps you from going over the same area twice. I know the golf course I used to work at put dye in any liquid they were applying until they bought a new machine that had a sud maker on it. The bubbles would drop out the ends to mark your edges instead of using dye.

zechstoker
12-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I always use Mark-It Blue in my backpack sprayers, and I've never had a customer complain. If you spill the concentrate on cement, you'll have virtually no luck cleaning it off though. Then they'll have grounds to complain for sure.

cpllawncare
12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I always use Mark-It Blue in my backpack sprayers, and I've never had a customer complain. If you spill the concentrate on cement, you'll have virtually no luck cleaning it off though. Then they'll have grounds to complain for sure.

Why take the chance for a complaint?

zechstoker
12-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Why take the chance for a complaint?

Strangely enough, my customers complain if I don't use it. They're all accustomed to looking for and seeing the blue dye which confirms that I did in fact spray their weeds. I've actually had customers call and question me because they came home and didn't see any blue, and thought I had skipped them that day because of it. That was a rare occasion that I didn't have any to add to the tank mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
12-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Strangely enough, my customers complain if I don't use it. They're all accustomed to looking for and seeing the blue dye which confirms that I did in fact spray their weeds. I've actually had customers call and question me because they came home and didn't see any blue, and thought I had skipped them that day because of it. That was a rare occasion that I didn't have any to add to the tank mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

I keep using it for the same reason. I first started using it when burning out a yard for sod replacement, then figured out it would allow me to make sure I hit all weeds in the beds and did not miss any. I have never looked back...if I run out...I do have customers questions if I sprayed that week. For that reason alone it is worth it because here weeds can go from hardly any in the bed to full out invasion in a week. If they see we sprayed they know we did out job and it saves a phone call.

William - if it rubbed off on the cat - you might be missing it too strong. I used the concentrate , which literally just requires a drop per gallon. My helper went to miss some up for me while I was blowing off a driveway one day and did not realize that I had switched to the concentrate and added the normal amount . There was blue everywhere even next week when we showed up. Too strong.

zechstoker
12-06-2012, 11:40 PM
The stuff I'm using isn't quite that concentrated. I mix it at one ounce per gallon, and it comes out just right. All the same reasoning for using it though. It helps both the customer and myself see what's been sprayed. I'd consider it a win-win.

cpllawncare
12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
we just use turf markers here no dye.

Landscape Poet
12-07-2012, 08:29 AM
The stuff I'm using isn't quite that concentrated. I mix it at one ounce per gallon, and it comes out just right. All the same reasoning for using it though. It helps both the customer and myself see what's been sprayed. I'd consider it a win-win.

If Lesco is one of your suppliers, look at their concentrate, essentially a pint bottle is equal to a gallon of regular turf market dye. You should pay the same or just slightly more and you do not have to carry around a big jug.

Also , William, just a FYI , what I have found other than time and sunlight to help clean it up, Lesco's Tank cleaner. Cost about $10 and I keep some in my house by my bathroom sink in case I get any on my hands throughout the day. Combine that with a lava bar or orange pumice scrub or your choice and it will come right off your hands etc.

Greg78
12-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Can you use the marker on paver drives and concrete drives?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Can you use the marker on paver drives and concrete drives?
Posted via Mobile Device

You can -- but expect it to show for a day or two...warn your clients to save a phone call. When doing the pavers in the drive we narrow the stream and essentially go right on top on the weed so as to limit the amount of blue left.
Again this lets them know that you have been there, in a weird way it draws neighbors attention as well. I have actually picked up two accounts because the neighbor cam out to see what blue stuff I was putting down. I explained it and they asked for a quote and informed me that their current guy was not nearly as meticulous with weed control. Worked out well for me.

cpllawncare
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't want blue dye in my yard or on my driveway, there has to be some level of trust.