PDA

View Full Version : CASE 580sm has arrived!!

mrsops
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Been looking for some time now and finally came across a nice CASE backhoe. It was delivered today!! KSSS will be happy LOL

2005 CASE 580sm series 2

2067 hours
Wobble sticks
4in1 bucket
ride control
heat no air
4x4 extendahoe
aux hydraulics
Brand new 12' protech snow pusher

I just have a few questions on the ride control feature can you leave it on all the time?? Or is it just for when your driving in streets? for instance if im plowing snow do i leave it on or off??

ksss
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
you would want if off while pushing snow. There are accumulators that act as shock absorbers on the lift cylinders. So it would have no effect while pushing. However while you are roading it and while carrying a full load in the front bucket it will keep the machne from "tortising" when your moving at higher speeds. Very good looking machine. Nice find with such low hours.

mrsops
12-07-2012, 03:00 PM
you would want if off while pushing snow. There are accumulators that act as shock absorbers on the lift cylinders. So it would have no effect while pushing. However while you are roading it and while carrying a full load in the front bucket it will keep the machne from "tortising" when your moving at higher speeds. Very good looking machine. Nice find with such low hours.

Ok I got it now thanks ksss!!

AEL
12-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Beautiful machine congrats! What made you choose the case over a Deere or cat?
Posted via Mobile Device

mrsops
12-07-2012, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=T_S_S;4603582]Beautiful machine congrats! What made you choose the case over a Deere or cat?
Posted via Mobile Device[

I almost bought a cat 420d machine but when we checked it out it had a small oil leak and a few other things that just turned us off .. I also had a deere on demo we liked it but it came down to pricing.. Used Cat backhoes are just to high price wise.. The case I was able to get the best deal on and they threw in the pusher!! At the end of the day there probably all gonna do the same job so it really came down to options and pricing

KrayzKajun
12-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Like sean said, beautiful machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

tnmtn
12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
very nice machine, looking forward to updates on how it works out for you, congrats

Dan85
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. We have three backhoes, but the one that I get for snow is our Case 580. It's a great machine and I absolutely love pushing snow with it, I much prefer this to any of the loaders we run during the winter. Two wheel drive works fine for pushing, rarely do I put it into four wheel.

On our machine, it's difficult to clip the boom back into place - you can't get it to swing back far enough. One trick one of the other operators taught me is to find something to push the extendahoe against to help give the boom those few extra inches to get it to lock into place. Anyways, figured I would mention it for whatever it's worth.

mrsops
12-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. We have three backhoes, but the one that I get for snow is our Case 580. It's a great machine and I absolutely love pushing snow with it, I much prefer this to any of the loaders we run during the winter. Two wheel drive works fine for pushing, rarely do I put it into four wheel.

On our machine, it's difficult to clip the boom back into place - you can't get it to swing back far enough. One trick one of the other operators taught me is to find something to push the extendahoe against to help give the boom those few extra inches to get it to lock into place. Anyways, figured I would mention it for whatever it's worth.

Dan i cannot belive you just said that. I took the boom out to dig And i cant get it back in. Its in my yard still like that.. I have a friend coming tomm to help me put it back in.. Let me ask you something what if there is no place to push the extendahoe against now what?? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Bleed Green
12-07-2012, 07:19 PM
is the snow pusher that much more effective for pushing snow than the backhoe's shovel?

Dan85
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Dan i cannot belive you just said that. I took the boom out to dig And i cant get it back in. Its in my yard still like that.. I have a friend coming tomm to help me put it back in.. Let me ask you something what if there is no place to push the extendahoe against now what?? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha, well then I guess you'll just have to boom it all the way back and ride around like that for a while - it should actually stay pretty good because that's what I did my first couple of times out and it really didn't float down much.

I'll be curious to see what suggestions your friend has to offer (as well as anyone else on the forum), maybe I'm missing the trick all together?

is the snow pusher that much more effective for pushing snow than the backhoe's shovel?

Most definitely. Think about the vast volume difference between a 10' pusher and the bucket.

Here's mine in all her glory:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Future_Texan/Heavy%20Equipment/Construction%20Equipment/DSC_3101copy.jpg

T Scapes
12-07-2012, 08:07 PM
nice backhoe any reason for going with the 4in1 over a regular bucket

earthmover
12-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Congrats! The machine looks real clean and has some low hours for a '05. If you don't mind sharing about how much did you pick it up for?

Also, There is a trick to getting the Case boom to lock. We had a Case 580k and you would have to swing the boom back fast enough to get it to lock and once you catch on it's easy. Hopefully you friend can show you how it's done.

mrsops
12-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Congrats! The machine looks real clean and has some low hours for a '05. If you don't mind sharing about how much did you pick it up for?

Also, There is a trick to getting the Case boom to lock. We had a Case 580k and you would have to swing the boom back fast enough to get it to lock and once you catch on it's easy. Hopefully you friend can show you how it's done.

Paid 35 k. I tried doing that with the boom i dont know what the hell is going on
Posted via Mobile Device

mrsops
12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
nice backhoe any reason for going with the 4in1 over a regular bucket

4in1 is just better in general for street work cleaning up and even loading trucks just open it up and let the material come right out.
Posted via Mobile Device

tnmtn
12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
locking the backhoe was something that had me nervous as well when i demoed one. the salesman just said to bring it iin at full speed and it would lock. I figured it's his machine and did it. man it was close to the glass. a little unnerving the first time. after that i just looked the other and pulled the lever. good luck with it.

stuvecorp
12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Nice PowerTan! :drinkup:

dozerman21
12-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Bring the boom in easy, no more than half speed. Reverse the direction (left stick forward) just before it gets to the lock. It should ease right in. Nice machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy
12-08-2012, 03:16 AM
I use the 580 SM (series 1 I guess you call it) in the Army, replaced the SEE Truck for those that where equipment operator's. Its been a awesome machine other than some of the Army modifcations I.E. the cab.

Easiest way to get the bucket to lock, and it will freak you out at first and some practice with it. 1/2 to full throtle, bring the the arm back all the way, lower it about 6 inches, pull the stick back all the way, right when it reaches that apex before the arm bounces push the stick forward. Its tricky to explain, and its alot easier to just sit next to someone and walk them threw it.

If you need any help with anything else feel free to ask, I went through Case's factory training on that machine when our unit picked them up.

Sorry KSSS its no longer power tan, but power drab?????

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/SwampyWI/Jul2012206.jpg
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr239/SwampyWI/Jul2012330.jpg

coopers
12-08-2012, 09:35 AM
I use the 580 SM (series 1 I guess you call it) in the

Easiest way to get the bucket to lock, and it will freak you out at first and some practice with it. 1/2 to full throtle, bring the the arm back all the way, lower it about 6 inches, pull the stick back all the way, right when it reaches that apex before the arm bounces push the stick forward. Its tricky to explain, and its alot easier to just sit next to someone and walk them threw it.

Well said. Right when you feel the stick is done coming back at you, you push forward...nicely...and it'll lock. Very easy to do. Watch this youtube link below at 7:12 and you can see where the hoe wants to stop coming up. I've seen some idiots slam the hoe back because they jam the lever forward thinking the faster they do it (and the higher the throttle) the better...good way to break the latch/lock. You'll get good enough at it that you won't have to bring it up, then lower it then bring it back. You just bring it up and latch it and go...just like the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDx3v4p4c1Q&list=FLO0fht62crN6F24fIgOwuZQ&index=9

Nice hoe btw. Nice to see a case hoe on this forum. Now don't forget to update with pics on the job. :)

ksss
12-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Haha, well then I guess you'll just have to boom it all the way back and ride around like that for a while - it should actually stay pretty good because that's what I did my first couple of times out and it really didn't float down much.

I'll be curious to see what suggestions your friend has to offer (as well as anyone else on the forum), maybe I'm missing the trick all together?

Most definitely. Think about the vast volume difference between a 10' pusher and the bucket.

Here's mine in all her glory:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Future_Texan/Heavy%20Equipment/Construction%20Equipment/DSC_3101copy.jpg

That is a very cool photo.

I like the Power Drab comment:clapping:

mrsops
12-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Well said. Right when you feel the stick is done coming back at you, you push forward...nicely...and it'll lock. Very easy to do. Watch this youtube link below at 7:12 and you can see where the hoe wants to stop coming up. I've seen some idiots slam the hoe back because they jam the lever forward thinking the faster they do it (and the higher the throttle) the better...good way to break the latch/lock. You'll get good enough at it that you won't have to bring it up, then lower it then bring it back. You just bring it up and latch it and go...just like the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDx3v4p4c1Q&list=FLO0fht62crN6F24fIgOwuZQ&index=9

Nice hoe btw. Nice to see a case hoe on this forum. Now don't forget to update with pics on the job. :)

Thanks for all the help guys.. My buddy showed me how to do it in 5 seconds :laugh:

rvon99
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Are you guys talking about locking the boom back into place? Case has a trick!

AfterhoursVT
12-09-2012, 12:27 AM
last year I plowed with an older case 580 and a 590. Great rigs for plowing snow. Best snow plowing rig out there. Lots of traction and great vision of your plow. The rig I ran had a 12 foot angle blade. You should enjoy the power in the snow.

mrsops
12-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Ready for snow!!

ARP
12-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Looking good!

coopers
12-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Looking good!

Agreed. Seems like snow should be around the corner for you guys over there.

1idejim
12-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't you reverse boom direction at the breakover point?

Every Case i have been on since the 580B has been that way.
Posted via Mobile Device