PDA

View Full Version : Exmark mower turns over slow but starts

meets1
12-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Queatin is I have 4 of these machines. All the same. The one machine is two years old and it seems as though it turns over slowly but starts. The other mowers seem to turn over and with a different sound it. Ay ideas? Battery going, starter, not sure.

dieselss
12-08-2012, 10:35 PM
To answer yes, maybe, test don't guess
Posted via Mobile Device

M & MD Lawn
12-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Sounds like the starter..maybe even the solenoid...However I agree..tests don't lie

jsslawncare
12-09-2012, 08:02 AM
My guess would be the battery.

bls47303
12-09-2012, 04:11 PM
You might also check the valves. if they arent properly adjusted it will turn over hard.

rbljack
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
You might also check the valves. if they arent properly adjusted it will turn over hard.

I think this is whats wrong with mine also. Previous owner changed battery and sol, but it would start right up sometimes and others, it would simply "click, click" and not crank. If I manually move the piston back off the compression stroke, it will get enough momentum to compress and crank again. So my valves arent set quite right I think.

Before any of those things, check the batter connections for a solid and clean connections. Start with the battery. gyood luck

sjessen
12-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I think this is whats wrong with mine also. Previous owner changed battery and sol, but it would start right up sometimes and others, it would simply "click, click" and not crank. If I manually move the piston back off the compression stroke, it will get enough momentum to compress and crank again. So my valves arent set quite right I think.

Before any of those things, check the batter connections for a solid and clean connections. Start with the battery. gyood luck

Your issue might be the starter.

44DCNF
12-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Are they all filled with the same viscosity oil?

Darryl G
12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
And truly all the same? Not some gear drive and some hydro?

piston slapper
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Exmark makes many different mowers and uses many different engines...
I don't even think I could give you generic advice that would be useful without more info..

meets1
12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
They are Kawa 23 I think. Yes I use all the same oil etc. This mower has the most hours on it at 1300. I have yet to replace anything with it as I have replaced a starter, battery etc on the others but when battery tester on it, it shows good yet?? Maybe after all machines are cleaned for the winter (which were working on now) I may just throw a new battery in it and see what happens. If not battery I can always have an extra on the shelve.

piston slapper
12-10-2012, 09:41 PM
If you have a standard Kaw starter that uses a stand alone solenoid...it may be the bushings in the starter have worn to the extent that the armature is dragging on the field..they use thin bushings that wear out before the brushes do..