PDA

View Full Version : Permeable pavers not the only permeable pavement

DVS Hardscaper
12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
There is a new shopping center on the area. It has a permeable parking lot. But it's not pavers. Seems the paver industry has some competition in the permeable market.
Posted via Mobile Device

cameronderzack
12-09-2012, 09:41 AM
What is this surface construction of the new shopping center?

Duekster
12-09-2012, 09:48 AM
There are several sample sites I am aware of near me.

I am not aware they have a good poured conctrete that will hold up in our area.

zedosix
12-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Competition is good!

DVS Hardscaper
12-09-2012, 01:20 PM
What is this surface construction of the new shopping center?

I'll shoot a picture of the lot next time I'm there. The shopping center even has signs up that explain the lot is permeable.

Here all this time I was under the impression that permeable surfaces could only be accomplished with pavers. And that the paver industry would own permeable pavements.

bigviclbi
12-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Ive seen permeable asphalt used at shopping centers in literature but not in real life. They should make it mandatory in my opinion these huge aspalt parking lots that are 1/4 full 90% of the time are huge wastes of money , ugly, and bad for water runoff.
Posted via Mobile Device

TomG
12-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Permeable asphalt and permeable concrete have been around for quite some time. The University of new Hampshire (where I went to school) is one of, if not the leading university in research of permeable pavements. In 2004 they installed a 5000sf permeable asphalt parking lot that is still in use today. And about two years ago they installed a large permeable paver parking lot for research that I have posted photos on here of in the past.

big daddy b
12-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah we just did a big job in downtown Syracuse, pervious concrete. I didn't believe at first either, but once it was all done we tested it with a water main, the water just dispersed into the concrete. pretty awesome.

SVA_Concrete
12-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Back in 2008 the largest pervious concrete job in the US was here in williamsburg, va. Something like 7a acres.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/parking-lot-big-big-and-ecofriendly

a fellow contractor aquantiance of mine is big into it (just did a food lion) pretty cool stuff. Went fishing with him a while back and picked his brain on it. I guess decorative pervious is out now as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Back in 2008 the largest pervious concrete job in the US was here in williamsburg, va. Something like 7a acres.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/parking-lot-big-big-and-ecofriendly

a fellow contractor aquantiance of mine is big into it (just did a food lion) pretty cool stuff. Went fishing with him a while back and picked his brain on it. I guess decorative pervious is out now as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

The picture in the article looks quite similar to the parking lot I'm referring to.

Weekend cut easymoney
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
The picture in the article looks quite similar to the parking lot I'm referring to.

We did a small job for a restaurant several years ago with permeable concrete, the concrete gets dirt and sediment in it

amscapes03
12-13-2012, 04:22 PM
the concrete gets dirt and sediment in it

Hummm??? How long before it becomes impermeable concrete?

TomG
12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Usually never if its properly maintained. Get a vac truck and suck the dirt and sediment out.