PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Scag Tiger Cat engine HP

lawnguy 2
12-09-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm currently considering buying a 2012 Scag Tiger Cat with 61 velosity deck and kawasaki 23.5hp fx730 engine. Is this engine to low in HP to run the machine properly?

nepatsfan
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm currently considering buying a 2012 Scag Tiger Cat with 61 velosity deck and kawasaki 23.5hp fx730 engine. Is this engine to low in HP to run the machine properly?

I have a wildcat with a 52" 26hp liquid cooled kawi. It seems to have enough power but I wouldn't go lower. I don't know what this equates to in the new horsepower ratings, this is a 2011. The tiger cat and wild cat are virtually the same machine. That being said, with a 61" machine I would think it may be underpowered. We bag with our machine too. If you plan on bagging I would say definitely underpowered.

orangemower
12-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I have a 07 Tiger Cub with a 61" V+ deck. Has the 25hp Kohler Command Pro. I use a bagger and it can and will bog down on hills or thick leaves. As for cutting grass, it doesn't have any problem. Do I wish I had more HP? Duh, I'm like Tim the toolman Taylor here. LOL It gets the job done and doesn't slow me down enough to be a concern. I get a solid gallon an hour in fuel consumption which isn't all that bad. I don't think it would be grossly under powered. It does depend on what you would expect out of a mower in your working conditions. If you do tons of hills and bag too then it would be under powered. Flat ground doing SD and it would be fine.

Moose's Mowing
12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
subscribed!!!! I had the exact same question in my mind. I'm also looking at the Tiger Cat for this coming season

kranker022
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I concur with above. I have a 2011 with 25hp kohler and it seems to be great with side discharge. I have the scag oem clamshell and it would bog down a bit running over big piles of leaves but i am pleased with it. Then again i have never had a motor bigger than a 25 so i dont know what im missing. If you buy it...i did not like the scag oem high lifts that came with it. I bought a set of those oregon highlift gators..and fell in love. Sucked because i waited halfway through fall to buy them and couldnt believe the difference it made
Posted via Mobile Device