PDA

View Full Version : High end 5 star hotel, Need help Bidding

roeslandscaping
12-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Hey everyone, I have been asked to submit a proposal to a VERY high end Hotel and Spa here in Abingdon Va, here is a link to the website. http://www.marthawashingtoninn.com/

Anyways, they have said they arent very happy with their current company (drives 4 hours to get here) and they want me to take over. They have asked me to give them a quote for maintaining all of the landscape as well as the lawn. No irrigation work, but they do want me to factor in seasonal color changes as well as decorations for thanksgiving and christmas. Could someone be so kind to take the time and give me a list of what all needs to be done to come up with this bid. I have been in this business for six years, and when they contacted me to give them a bid, i was speechless. This is a great opportunity but I want to make sure I factor EVERYTHING.

Thanks,
Jonathan

JB1
12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
It's always good to give a link to a property. That way everyone can go and give a bid
Posted via Mobile Device

roeslandscaping
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
It's always good to give a link to a property. That way everyone can go and give a bid
Posted via Mobile Device

No, not anyone can give a bid here. They came to me, after 4 years of trying. The GM said that he gets about 20 calls a month to receive a bid. He said he will accept no bids unless he goes to the company and asks. I will be putting in a bid against the current landscaper, and if i have a reasonable bid, i will get the contract, if not, they will keep the current company. They dont like the current company for the fact they drive so far, and only come once a week.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeah I live in Abingdon and always thought how great it would be to have this account. Thanks for the info I'll swing by and give them a proposal tomorrow.....lol.......jk.
Posted via Mobile Device

RodneyK
12-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Not going to list everything you need to include in your bid. Frankly after six years in business you should know that.

If the property is truly high end take the higher number of hours you think and then add to that. They should be picky which means you will need to build in extra time and costs. Showing up once a week won't cut it IMHO either. You will need to check on things every couple to few days. Plan on freshening up your seasonal color by replacing some plants as the current season goes along. Plan on having to do a couple extra apps either for disease or a bump in turf color along the way.

Don't be afraid to ask for higher dollars. They called you and aren't afraid to charge someone big bucks for a room. This account could put you on the map or drain you.

roeslandscaping
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah I live in Abingdon and always thought how great it would be to have this account. Thanks for the info I'll swing by and give them a proposal tomorrow.....lol.......jk.
Posted via Mobile Device

ha like I said, not anyone can bid. Feel free to ask though. no help here guys.

Weekend cut easymoney
12-10-2012, 10:08 PM
48 to 50 cuts
Leaf cleanup
Weekly weeding beds
Preemergent in beds spread
Fertilizer for lawn spread twice
Spot spaying for weeds monthly during growing season
Winter rye planted /scalp lawn if appropriate....ammonium sulfate to green it up after established
Mulch spread twice each year
Rough up mulch as appropriate maybe every few months
Hedges trimmed as needed...at least monthly
Low hanging limbs on trees trimmed to keep height above 6 or7 feet
Fert for plants and shrubs
Treat lawn for disease, fungus and bugs as needed
Trim dead out of plants/trim dormant perennials or grasses
Picup trash each visit
Adjust irrigation as needed
Flower chaneouts....allow for replacement flowers and dead head as needed, fert. Possibly use liquid fertilizer on them to keep looking nice.
You need to have uniforms, hats and neat looking crew, park in back and get on and off property with as little guest interference as possible
The above is generally for texas so some things might not apply there.

roeslandscaping
12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Not going to list everything you need to include in your bid. Frankly after six years in business you should know that.

If the property is truly high end take the higher number of hours you think and then add to that. They should be picky which means you will need to build in extra time and costs. Showing up once a week won't cut it IMHO either. You will need to check on things every couple to few days. Plan on freshening up your seasonal color by replacing some plants as the current season goes along. Plan on having to do a couple extra apps either for disease or a bump in turf color along the way.

Don't be afraid to ask for higher dollars. They called you and aren't afraid to charge someone big bucks for a room. This account could put you on the map or drain you.

Thats what im looking for. Thanks, the only thing that really stumbles me is the christmas decorations, would it be easier to make a budget, and stick to that?

roeslandscaping
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
48 to 50 cuts
Leaf cleanup
Weekly weeding beds
Preemergent in beds spread
Fertilizer for lawn spread twice
Spot spaying for weeds monthly during growing season
Winter rye planted /scalp lawn if appropriate....ammonium sulfate to green it up after established
Mulch spread twice each year
Rough up mulch as appropriate maybe every few months
Hedges trimmed as needed...at least monthly
Low hanging limbs on trees trimmed to keep height above 6 or7 feet
Fert for plants and shrubs
Treat lawn for disease, fungus and bugs as needed
Trim dead out of plants/trim dormant perennials or grasses
Picup trash each visit
Adjust irrigation as needed
Flower chaneouts....allow for replacement flowers and dead head as needed, fert. Possibly use liquid fertilizer on them to keep looking nice.
You need to have uniforms, hats and neat looking crew, park in back and get on and off property with as little guest interference as possible
The above is generally for texas so some things might not apply there.

PERFECT! thanks.

RodneyK
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Xmas decorations are like everything else, estimating time. Everything should currently be up so take a walk and add up the hours to put up and take down. It can be labor intensive and lights can make you want to pull your hair out. Hopefully they have started moving to LED, if not suggest they start phasing them in. Energy savings and much more reliable should be reasons enough to offset the higher cost.

Weekend cut easymoney
12-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd be stalking the hotel every 3 or 4 days just to make sure everything is perfect. Remember, the game is for you to find problems before they are an issue and certainly before they find the issue...you fail when they bring it to your attention ...but if they do, fix it...you are their go-to guy than can solve any issue...and if you cannot, get the person that can and learn something

RodneyK
12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd be stalking the hotel every 3 or 4 days just to make sure everything is perfect. Remember, the game is for you to find problems before they are an issue and certainly before they find the issue...you fail when they bring it to your attention ...but if they do, fix it...you are their go-to guy than can solve any issue...and if you cannot, get the person that can and learn something

Great points.