PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Units Vs. Combination Systems

Chilehead
12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I am planning on replacing most of my small 2-cycle equipment (i.e. trimmer, stick edger, hedge trimmer, etc.) before spring of 2013. The dilemma I am facing is whether to purchase 4-5 dedicated units, or a high-end power head with 4-5 attachments.
It is clear to me that the dedicated units will perform well, and will cost substantially more than a combination system. The questions I have is how do the two systems compare in terms of dependability, reliability, power transfer to attachments, and longevity. Longevity is my main concern because of the whole "splined connection" between the unit/power head. Do they strip out?
The bottom line is that if a combination system will perform equally as well as its dedicated unit counterparts, I will likely go with a combination system due to its lower overall cost. FYI, if I only needed one or two machines, I would likely just purchase dedicated units. Thanks.

KS_Grasscutter
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd do a dedicated trimmer and edger, along with a combo unit with trimmer, edger and other attachments.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Ive been running the Sthil Kombi and Troy built attachment plus for 5 years, its far better than a decitated unit. This year I sold my Troy build stuff and bought another Kombi power head.

That attachments all work great and its actually eaiser to swap attachments vs. starting a cold engine.

Ill never go back to individual dicitated units.

herler
12-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Use a combo for all the tools that you only use on occasion, then get dedis for the tools that you use at least once a week.

Chilehead
12-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Ive been running the Sthil Kombi and Troy built attachment plus for 5 years, its far better than a decitated unit. This year I sold my Troy build stuff and bought another Kombi power head.

That attachments all work great and its actually eaiser to swap attachments vs. starting a cold engine.

Ill never go back to individual dicitated units.

I am really interested in the quality of the attachment/power head connection. Do they strip out? Does one manufacturer make more durable connections than another? If so, who?

larryinalabama
12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
I am really interested in the quality of the attachment/power head connection. Do they strip out? Does one manufacturer make more durable connections than another? If so, who?

Ive been running my Sthil commericaly for 5 years and never has a shaft strip. The only problen I ever has was a 2$ bushing that takes less than 30 seconds to replace.

Chilehead
12-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks, Larry.