PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cards?

BrendonTW
12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Who uses fuel cards? After entering hundreds of fuel receipts, I'm thinking I would REALLY like to enter 12 or even 52 per year. Just wanting to get some input on the use of fuel cards. Which cards are available at most gas stations? Of course they all claim they have the best. Don't know where to look for reviews for guys like us who have to fill up at random stations all over town.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, we use them and love them. Do some research and get ones that work with stations you use the most. We have several cards and can use a separate number for each truck and mowers....makes it nice so you can figure out fuel for different pieces.

Jason

BrendonTW
12-12-2012, 08:39 PM
That sounds pretty cool. Which one do you use?

Fert33
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I implemented the use of fuel cards this year. I am so glad I did. I Went with Sunoco cards. I get a credit according to gallons used each month. I am able to assign a card to each truck or driver. I can track everything online. you can plug in information for each vehicle assigned to each card. Things like if it is a 20 gal tank, you can set the card to shut off at 20 gal. You can set hours to the cards so they can't be used at night or on weekends. You can get info about it online. Just get on Sunoco's site. There should be a link to fleet management. I would suggest cards to anyone that is on the fence about them. As we grow it will be so much easier to track fuel consumption.

kyles landscape
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
when you guys say fuel cards do you mean a credit card from the gas station??

i like your idea of not handling tons of reciepts...

Duekster
12-12-2012, 09:54 PM
I want a fuel card with a GPS tracking system. Still looking at it. Only two GPS systems I know integrate with fleet cards. Now if I could find a good scheduling software that works with the other two. I know of one company that does that. It is just not the best scheduling software for our industry.

grandview (2006)
12-12-2012, 10:30 PM
My gas card is only good at one gas company with is nice. Get 5 cents off a gallon and the fact it has to be paid off in full each month. No only paying part of the monthly bill and having it add up.

BrendonTW
12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
It's kind-of a credit card except it is only used for fuel and is usually issues by companies dedicated to that only.

kyles landscape
12-12-2012, 10:48 PM
So like a credit card from the gas station like a shell card ? Are there limits usually of have to pre pay?
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
12-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Next time you are at your favorite gas station, take the time to read what cards they accept. I am sure there will be some you have not seen before. I say that based on some of the questions. Some of those are specialty fleet cards that give you more details on the purchases. They are not always just restricted to fuel but you can set up various limits on merchandise vs fuel, fuel type purchases and some other features to reduce personal use.

Fuelman (http://www.fuelman.com/) is a common one.

hackitdown
12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I use an Amex card that gives 3% back on gas from any station. It works out to about 10 cents per gallon. I spend about $1500/mo on gas, so $45 per mo back. My wife uses hers for groceries and it pays 6% back on anything you buy at the grocery store. We spend $1000 per month on groceries, so about $60 back.

Duekster
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I use an Amex card that gives 3% back on gas from any station. It works out to about 10 cents per gallon. I spend about $1500/mo on gas, so $45 per mo back. My wife uses hers for groceries and it pays 6% back on anything you buy at the grocery store. We spend $1000 per month on groceries, so about $60 back.

Technically that should be shown as a refund to the company.

jrs.landscaping
12-13-2012, 06:50 PM
We have fuel cards and use them when the bulk tanks get low before our next delivery. One card per truck, works out great for us, statment once a month and no more slips stuffed into a coffee can :cool2:

Richard Martin
12-13-2012, 07:08 PM
You need to be a little wary of fuel cards. They don't afford many of the same protections that a normal consumer fuel card does. I tried FuelMan last year (2011). I didn't care for their system and it was a pain in the rear to use the card. It took me 3 times as long to use the card in the gas station. This year I tried BP and it's a whole lot nicer. I have a card for the truck and one for the mowers. I can use the cards right at the pump and it takes me no more time than a regular credit card.

Like I first said though, make sure you thoroughly read and understand the terms and conditions associated with whatever card you decide to use. The late fees will seriously hurt you if you tend to let things go until the last minute. Make sure the card is easy to use.

Duekster
12-13-2012, 07:18 PM
You need to be a little wary of fuel cards. They don't afford many of the same protections that a normal consumer fuel card does. I tried FuelMan last year (2011). I didn't care for their system and it was a pain in the rear to use the card. It took me 3 times as long to use the card in the gas station. This year I tried BP and it's a whole lot nicer. I have a card for the truck and one for the mowers. I can use the cards right at the pump and it takes me no more time than a regular credit card.

Like I first said though, make sure you thoroughly read and understand the terms and conditions associated with whatever card you decide to use. The late fees will seriously hurt you if you tend to let things go until the last minute. Make sure the card is easy to use.

I noticed most of the fuelman cards do not have a master card or visa protection program on them.

What types of hassles did you have using them at the pump?

Frankly they are low on my list of things I am wanting try but I would try them in conjuntion with a GPS system.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
12-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure about all areas, but my taxes are different for on-road vs. off-road fuel use so we have two cards per truck. One for the truck and a different one for the mowers/trimmers fill ups. No interest unless I carry a balance. Works well.

Jason

Richard Martin
12-14-2012, 04:35 AM
What types of hassles did you have using them at the pump?

I couldn't use them at the pump. They're on a separate network from EVERYBODY else. I had to go inside, wait in line, give the guy my card, go outside, fill the truck, go inside, stand in line, get him to run the card through a separate card reader, sign that ticket, go back outside, fill the mowers and cans, go back inside, stand in line again, and get him to run the card again.

Duekster
12-14-2012, 06:12 AM
I think the Fuelman thing used to be mainly for trucking ( wholesale diesel) industry but is moving into fleet ( gas). I think they are slowly but surely getting Incorporated into the pay at the pump

I need to look at the pumps were I frequent, I know I have seen their logo and I thought it was on the pay at the pump with these cards. It could have been one of those accepted here stickers.

iforgotmybackpack
12-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Always had great success with Wrights Express cards. Makes you enter truck mileage and a pin #. It's a gas only card too
Posted via Mobile Device