PDA

View Full Version : Leaf setup

baseball9074
12-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm considering purchasing a leaf loader for next year, I just have some questions. I've got a 6.5x12 PJ utility trailer that will be used. My questions are, how could I set up the most efficient way to haul off leaves? Also, any reviews on the billy goat 12 HP Honda engine leaf loader? I'm looking for examples how other people have set it up in a similar situations to mine.
Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
If you are just starting out then why not mulch up the leaves. And then if you have a picky customer who wants to pay extra you can bag the little pieces and all this takes a lot less time.

baseball9074
12-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Currently I can only take on leaf jobs that I can just blow into the woods. I've got some customers with some big trees so bagging becomes more of a pain. I'm just trying to see how to set up a system with a leaf loader therefore I wouldn't have to turn down jobs like I did this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

bassin
12-13-2012, 10:23 PM
get a leaf plow or make one save time weath se r u take the leaves or theres street pick up just chop them up and push them in a trailer or a leaf loader we made a leaf plow saves big time on leaf work

baseball9074
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
get a leaf plow or make one save time weath se r u take the leaves or theres street pick up just chop them up and push them in a trailer or a leaf loader we made a leaf plow saves big time on leaf work

I've got backpack blowers, and a little wonder walk behind blower that work great for leaves. I'm just looking to sell how a leaf loader would be setup with only a 6x12 trailer
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
12-14-2012, 03:58 PM
i guess it depends on the amount of leaves you do. i always do leaf jobs with my mower and blower down here. i side discharge everything. i never bag or put on a mulch plate. i don't wait until the leaves are 2ft thick though. i just keep mowing every 2 weeks during the month of november into early december. by then all the leaves have fallen here. i use G6 blades so they mulch the leaves up good and i just keep going over them until they disappear. i use the blower on smaller yards with woods behind them and just blow the leaves into the woods. i also use the blower to blow out flower beds and such. it's pretty simple and easy and i don't have to fool around with bagging and leaf loaders and all of that. if you go in to a place and the leaves are 5ft thick then that's another story lol.

gene gls
12-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Here's my 2 cents worth of learning the hard knocks way. I used a 3/4 ton pickup with high sides like every one else and started blowing in from the back with an 8 hp loader. Thats not good, most of the leaves are packed in the front of the bed, took 1 hour to hook out by hand with a potato hook, this was 1st year. Next year I loaded from the front of the box, took about 1/2 hour to hook out, most of the heavy stuff was at the back of the box. I ran this set up a few years until I had to have a dump truck. I still loaded from the front with my Mitisi because it made it so easy to drive up to a pile. Make sure you have pleanty of venting in your box to exhust the air from your truck loader. I used 1/4" hardwear cloth(screen) over the whole top of my box on my pickup. On my Mitisi I built some arched bows that mounted to the top of my sides and used nylon netting for the cover. I would recomend starting with a dumping bed, truck or trailer. A dumping unit offers a wide range of jobs that you could handle verses a fixed bed.

HolleysLandscaping
12-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Ive tried a few different ways when I first started up. Either a dump truck or a dump trailer (we use the dump trailer) with a debris loader is your best bet. If you do not have it or cant afford at this time, why dont you just do the jobs and subcontract the pickups to another company with this capability. You will get the cleanup jobs whether there is a pickup or not.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
I use a 3/4 ton truck with 6ft high sides for leaves. I load them from the back with a 16hp BG Loader, it has the receiver mount. Takes about 20mins to unload by hand, no rakes, shovels, or forks. I just grab the layers and throw them out. A dump trailer is on my wish list, but this way works pretty good for now.

baseball9074
12-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Ive tried a few different ways when I first started up. Either a dump truck or a dump trailer (we use the dump trailer) with a debris loader is your best bet. If you do not have it or cant afford at this time, why dont you just do the jobs and subcontract the pickups to another company with this capability. You will get the cleanup jobs whether there is a pickup or not.
That's what I've been thinking, now I just need to find a good person to sub the pickups to. I just thought if anyone had good ideas for a leaf loader with an open trailer I might give it a try, but without a dump trailer or dump truck, it looks like I'll just sub it out now until I can afford a dump trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

HolleysLandscaping
12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
For my first year I pushed leaves onto an open trailer with sides. After 2 pickups I had enough and subbed it out. Could not make a profit with the time to load the leaves and the time to unload compacted leaves. Able to make some off the subcontracting versus taking a loss doing it the hard way.

baseball9074
12-19-2012, 10:10 AM
For my first year I pushed leaves onto an open trailer with sides. After 2 pickups I had enough and subbed it out. Could not make a profit with the time to load the leaves and the time to unload compacted leaves. Able to make some off the subcontracting versus taking a loss doing it the hard way.
Yeah I talked to another guy about subbing it to and he said he would pay me a little for getting the jobs so it'd work out for both of us
Posted via Mobile Device