PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone

dvaughn10
12-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Have anyone used Rosetta Stone? I have a new job which we are using this stone and was wondering what any of you thought of this.

thanks

jbailey52
12-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Man, I opened this thread thinking we would be talking about learning spanish

johnsonslawnmanagement
12-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Ditto jbailey, ditto
Posted via Mobile Device

dvaughn10
12-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Sorry to disappoint. This is a stone manufactured out of Michigan that resembles natural stone. It has a high price range for a manufactured stone and was looking to see if anyone has used or thought of using this product.

shovelracer
12-14-2012, 08:15 AM
We've never installed, but I live near a plant that makes it. Also seen a few installs. IMO it is very busy looking and does not give a soothing feel. My concern though from the beginning has to do with surface deterioration. I find it all too common for manufactured veneer stone and the new style of manufactured wall and paver stone surfacing to be insufficient in dealing with the elements long term in northern climates when exposed. The manufactures can specify uses, add disclaimers, place warnings about things like deicers, horizontal exposures, etc. but at the end of the day if a client has shelled out 20K for a job and it fails in 10 years because of improper installation, care, or design they will not remember the preliminary meetings with the contractor. Instead they will be hooting and hollering about how the brand "X" stone failed and looks like someone mortared crushed stone to the surface. From my experience locally it looks like the stone in question uses these new surfacing techniques on the exterior finish. I guess time will tell. My point is the price of manufactured materials has gone up quite a bit, and lately it seems like you can have a true stone material placed for not much more than a manufactured product. Obviously this varies, but there generally is not that large difference in price there used to be.

lukemelo216
12-14-2012, 07:20 PM
I have used the product on two differnt jobs. One was a commercial project for a township and the other was a residential project. Im not going to go into detail about the actual look of it because i know it looks manufactured.

The first project we did was about 1200 face feet for a township. We had about 11 or 12 days total in the work and thats because the city engineer was slowing us up and the gc didnt have the wall cut for us and we had to excavate. If the site was prepped properly we could have been in and out in about 6-8 days.

The second was a residential that we thought the product would work well in, in which it did.

The material goes up very quick after you set the base. Since the walls are designed off a template they just print off a layout sheet and you build it off that. The big advantage of the product is that if your using it tight area that you cant use geogrid, concrete reinforcement can be used. On the topship project we were able to build a wall up about 3-3.5 feet with only about 12" behind the wall and we used concrete.

Certainly is a lot quicker than block and lower labor. A 1200 ff wall wpuld usually have probably 4-5 guys. We did that wall with 3 guys on average sometimes only 2.
Posted via Mobile Device

dvaughn10
12-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info I am doing a total of 630 sq ft with the average height of 3.5'. I am using geo grid at 2' to be safe and I think it will work just fine. I am also building a firepit and seating wall in addition to the walls. i will post pics as time goes.

lukemelo216 thank you for the info helps with planning.

KrayzKajun
12-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Man, I opened this thread thinking we would be talking about learning spanish

Same here!
Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
12-15-2012, 01:20 PM
I've seen it in our area but to be honest for the price I'd rather do a natural stone wall.

cameronderzack
12-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I think it is a great product. We installed 420 sq ft of it in a very difficult work area.

The product is bold and allows the user to interact with it different then any other product.

After we had the area excavated out and base installed, it took my dad and I 1 1/2 days to install with a CAT 305