PDA

View Full Version : Just baled 25 pine-straw bales & thinking I want more $

adam.neusbaum
12-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Due to poor quality pine-straw I've recently built a hand baler & used it tonight for the first time. The straw was hand raked today & is super fresh & colorful. Now I don't want to just sell it for my going rate of $4.75/bale delivered or $6.75/bale installed. I'm thinking of offering it as a Premium product for $1 more, maybe they'll want these in the front of the house & the oldie-goldie bales for around back. I won't be baling for installs since I can simply stuff a 32 gallon trash can from the back of the dump-truck & that equals 2 bales. Spreads beautifully being super-fresh compared to the dried out, stick-filled rubbish I'm buying by the semi-trailer load. I hate doing a job that I feel like apologizing over.

adam.neusbaum
12-14-2012, 02:01 AM
I didn't take the last pic to use for any future advertising but rather to show my supplier how old & ugly the 1000 bales were. Didn't look much better than what I covered over. I'd never knowingly send a new vendor an old trailer full of garbage that I wouldn't dare send to any of my existing accounts. I'm sure it didn't help my breakout reputation any. He should have told me the truth and suggested I contact one of his competitors for my very first load instead of selling me 1000 crusty outside & moldy inside garbage bales. You see I didn't know then what I know now, has been an interesting 3 months. My second trailer containing 1400 bales from a different supplier definitely got better but has gotten worse the further we get into the trailer. I'm glad to be down to the last of it, I'm embarrassed to deliver or install any but I hate to just sit on it.

Will P.C.
12-14-2012, 02:12 AM
That first pic looks good.

I pay 4.15 a bale for a company to come out and spread. I hear bailing it yourself is a tedious job filled with nothing but manual labor

newz7151
12-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Do you mean to tell me.. that there are people who actually PAY to have somebody scatter PINE NEEDLES all over their yard?!!?!?! :dizzy: And here we have neighbors with pine trees right near the property line that drop that stuff and mess up things :hammerhead:

larryinalabama
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Do you mean to tell me.. that there are people who actually PAY to have somebody scatter PINE NEEDLES all over their yard?!!?!?! :dizzy: And here we have neighbors with pine trees right near the property line that drop that stuff and mess up things :hammerhead:

Sounds silly but they do, it does look good.

White Gardens
12-14-2012, 10:15 AM

It's all about location.

Around here, nobody uses pine straw, it's all hardwood mulch.

I have clients that insist on removing their pine needles under their tree, the ones I've talked into leaving it and creating a pine straw bed couldn't be happier, especially as the trees get larger and the more needles that drop.

I just do a cut edge around the tree and create something esthetically appealing.

adam.neusbaum
12-15-2012, 11:39 AM
On a 20 bale Pinestraw delivery this morning I suggested the super-fresh bales for the front & regular for the back & sides. They said let's do it. $1 more per bale & i know they'll be pleased. It's a Good, Better, Best scenario without the Better, so just Good & Best to choose from.
Was hoping this recent 3 acre tree farm would go further than it is. If I wasn't working 9-6 Wed-Sunday I'd be out raking up inventory myself. Kinda-sorta defeats part of the purpose when hiring others to rake. One benefit is I'm keeping those around me employed & they really like having the work.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
12-15-2012, 11:46 AM
That first pic looks good.

I pay 4.15 a bale for a company to come out and spread. I hear bailing it yourself is a tedious job filled with nothing but manual labor
Baling is something my wife can do at home & im sure little Noah will be thrilled to help. I've always wanted a production line type of business where family & friends can work it & make decent money.
Posted via Mobile Device