PDA

View Full Version : why are Dodge HD trucks so much cheaper?

gcbailey
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm somewhat starting to look around for a new personal truck, currently have an '04 Avalanche with 110k. I'm definitely going 3/4 ton+ and definitely need a crew cab (wife+ 2 young boys). Trying to compare apples to apples along the brands the Dodge is at least $9k cheaper just based on sticker price along without even doing any negotiating.

In my area for a 1 ton diesel w/single CD, power windows/doors, power driver side and the other standards the dodge sticker is $31,500. GMC and Chevy stripped down w/duramax are at least $42k.

I've noticed online at some Dodge dealers in the Carolinas similar prices on their trucks. I had two Dakotas growing up, but all of my work fleet are GMs. I've got nothing against a Dodge, I'm just trying to figure why they are so much cheaper.

dstifel
12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
They will not move off that price from my experience. Gms you can negoitiate not dodges

gcbailey
12-14-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't think the $31k is a bad price at all, but I just don't see the GM dealers coming down that much.

dstifel
12-14-2012, 07:33 PM
What area are you in? Got qouted 28 thousand for a three quarter reg cab work truck

gcbailey
12-14-2012, 08:20 PM
right on the southern WV/VA border. I've been looking as far away as Winston Salem, NC... I don't care about interior, my Avalanche was flat out loaded, but once you get toddlers, well... kiss some of that away. I'm looking for a standard model crew, satellite radio would be nice as I use it a lot now, but I can always add a standalone.

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I duno that price doesnt seem right. I just bought a 12 Ram 3500 Single Rear Wheel ST crew cab 4x4 long bed diesel. power options, cd player, cruise, carpet. The msrp was $47,000. I paid $38,000.

The same thing for a ford was sticker msrp 48,000.

I dont see anyone getting one for 31k unless your counting your trade in that number. Or it wasnt a diesel for 31k msrp.

jrs.landscaping
12-15-2012, 04:28 PM
We bought our newest F 350 for 30k, diesel, with power service group option. Sticker was 45k but no one wanted it because it wasn't plow prep. Maybe the dealer is just trying to push inventory?

zak406
12-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Agreed a 2500 diesel 5 or 6 speed is 47000 ish thats base model to.

gcbailey
12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Check out kernersville dodge in nc...
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-15-2012, 06:06 PM
I just checked that website. The cheapest 2012 ram 3500 is 36,700$ which is about 9k off msrp which is what any dealership should do on a leftover 12 model. If you check all of their internet pricing each truck is about 9k off msrp.

Monroe74
12-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Im not knocking dodge but when it comes to over all sales between the big three ford is 1 gmc 2 chevy 3 and dodge is 4 and toyota tundra is last.
I just picked up my copy of diesel power jan 2013 and dodge has finally stepped up and an is giving the option of the asisn trans in their hd ho model trucks originally only available it the 4500 and 5500 trucks. Imo the trans is what stopped most people from buying them.
Ill be taking a good hard look at them this year.

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Yes I agree Ram is stepping their product up a notch with the 2013.

gcbailey
12-16-2012, 03:40 PM
I just checked that website. The cheapest 2012 ram 3500 is 36,700$ which is about 9k off msrp which is what any dealership should do on a leftover 12 model. If you check all of their internet pricing each truck is about 9k off msrp.

they had 4 on there earlier in the week, two white, a red, and a silver all between $31,9 and $33... I've been out of town for the weekend and see that they are all gone.

Still outside of the transmission difference between the Dodge and others any particular logic as to why having all the branded spec'd out the same side by side the Dodge has a significantly lower sticker price?

ClassicLawnCareInc
12-16-2012, 05:17 PM
All I know is I priced out a ton of Rams and Fords and from what I saw from the window sticker was the Fords were about 1,000$ difference. So for that dealer to be marking them down that much I duno why other than they have over 100 Rams for sale. Even on that Ram dealer website the MSRP was the same as any other dealer out there the only difference youll find is the sale price.

gallihergreen
12-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm somewhat starting to look around for a new personal truck, currently have an '04 Avalanche with 110k. I'm definitely going 3/4 ton+ and definitely need a crew cab (wife+ 2 young boys). Trying to compare apples to apples along the brands the Dodge is at least $9k cheaper just based on sticker price along without even doing any negotiating.
What dealer? I'm not a Dodge guy, but a brand new Cummins for $31,000! I'd be all over that.

In my area for a 1 ton diesel w/single CD, power windows/doors, power driver side and the other standards the dodge sticker is $31,500. GMC and Chevy stripped down w/duramax are at least $42k.

I've noticed online at some Dodge dealers in the Carolinas similar prices on their trucks. I had two Dakotas growing up, but all of my work fleet are GMs. I've got nothing against a Dodge, I'm just trying to figure why they are so much cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device

gallihergreen
12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Disregard my last post. I just saw you posted the dealers name already.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Im not knocking dodge but when it comes to over all sales between the big three ford is 1 gmc 2 chevy 3 and dodge is 4 and toyota tundra is last.
I just picked up my copy of diesel power jan 2013 and dodge has finally stepped up and an is giving the option of the asisn trans in their hd ho model trucks originally only available it the 4500 and 5500 trucks. Imo the trans is what stopped most people from buying them.
Ill be taking a good hard look at them this year.

Do add to that they are redoing the steering linkages on them. They had issues on the 2012 my gf father is the ceo of the company that makes and designs all the steering linkages for ford, gm, and dodge trucks and they are finally letting them do their thing like what ford has let them do for a number of years. Also dodge is the only one who has a manual anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
12-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't know where the other trucks are manufactured but both of my ram 4500s the 2011 and 2012 were made in Mexico. Perhaps its cheaper with out labor unions that said you can take that 31k price and times it by 2. Course we aren't comparing options or the fact that includes the nearly 9 k up-fit cost to make them into dump trucks.

AI Inc
12-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't think the $31k is a bad price at all, but I just don't see the GM dealers coming down that much.

Supply and demand. If they raised the price they would not sell any.

jbell36
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
that does seem wayyyyy too low...my guess is they are a high volume dealership, they simply have the best price around to sell the most

gcbailey
12-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I did get an email back from of the local GMC/Chevy dealers (Ramey) and the guy there said they will only stock diesels with certain minimum specs and if I wanted anything less they could order one, but it wouldn't be that much cheaper.

I know my '04 avalanche was assembled in Mexico, both of my '04 3500's 1 vortex/1 duramax are both USA. I just haven't spent enough time looking under the body outside of engines and transmissions. I do know a couple of guys who have '07 Dodges w/Cummins and have had issues with the turbos, but other than that. I know the history of the Ford's and the 6.0 but I haven't heard anyone say anything about the new engines.

jbell36
12-17-2012, 11:25 AM
the new 6.7 power stroke is supposed to be pretty good...i actually haven't heard anything negative about them yet...they all have the emissions on them now so it's now like you are buying the 5.9 cummins that seems to be every diesel mechanics favorite engine...with that being said they have over compensated for the loss of power with the emissions, so if you take it all off you will have a beast of a truck!

dstifel
12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
the new 6.7 power stroke is supposed to be pretty good...i actually haven't heard anything negative about them yet...they all have the emissions on them now so it's now like you are buying the 5.9 cummins that seems to be every diesel mechanics favorite engine...with that being said they have over compensated for the loss of power with the emissions, so if you take it all off you will have a beast of a truck!

Buddy of mine has the 6.7 stroker engine blew up under 100 thousand. Girlfriends family friend owns a business called truck equipment bought 4 brand new strokers with the 6.7 a couple years ago 3 of them have new engines. Under warranty luckily but i won't go anywhere near a stroker unless it is the 7.3

gcbailey
12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
My dad's boss has either a '90 or '91 I think it's the 1st year Dodge offered the Cummins, it's the one without the intercooler, it's got a little over 400k original miles on it. I'd like to go with a diesel because I plan on keeping it for the long run and to eventually change it over to a work truck. I'm getting between 13-15mpg now on all three trucks (5.3, 6.0, 6.6) it's just that diesel is about .80/gal more than gas. Eh, just a lot of talking out loud. Once tax time comes around I may be selling everything off!