PDA

View Full Version : SCAG help

bmxerss
12-14-2012, 07:15 PM
today i bought my first piece of commerical grade equiptment! i had saved for a few weeks and had searched craigslist everyday for a nice 48" walk behind, but then though, a 48" is a pretty big machine to start with so i looked at 36 inch (i dont do very big yards) and i founce a nice used scag for $800 and with the help of my dad, we got it for the low price of 600, with a leaf catcher included. it cuts great, runs decent and all but i have a few questions, is a 36" belt drive too small for a velke? and it also runs a little rough, does anyone have an idea how to get it to run smoother i figured changing the oil and air, gas and oil filter and cleaning the fuel lines out it would help.

bware0023
12-14-2012, 07:27 PM
It won't be too big for a Velke...but I would save your $ if your lawns aren't that big.

What type of engine does it have?

I would replace fuel filter, air filter, plugs, and do an oil change. If fuel has been sitting in it for a while I would drain all of it out before installing the new fuel filter.

Good luck!

bmxerss
12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
It won't be too big for a Velke...but I would save your $ if your lawns aren't that big.

I would replace fuel filter, air filter, plugs, and do an oil change. If fuel has been sitting in it for a while I would drain all of it out before installing the new fuel filter.

Good luck!

it has a 12.5 hohler engine. and i was having a little too much fun on it after i brought it home and it ran out of gas, lol should have checked it to see how much was in the tank.

ed2hess
12-14-2012, 09:10 PM

Good luck!

I would include taking the carb off and take it apart and be sure it is clean. I am not aware of a 12.5hp Kohler....maybe Kaw then you have to adjust the valves and that could mean pulling the head to grind the stems.

Toro 455
12-15-2012, 06:49 AM
I have a 36" Exmark belt drive WB with this sulkey.
http://www.havenerent.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=684&virtuemart_category_id=9&Itemid=96

I like it because it will latch up out of the way under the handles of the mower. Or if thigs get really tight like in and out of ditches I pull a couple of spring loaded pins and take it off. I found it cheaper than the list price, though don't remember exactly how much.
The original tires were pretty cheap, so I replaced them with Carslile tires.

Oh, one other thing. With a belt drive you may need to reposition the tensioner springs on the mowers' drive belts to get it to pull you on the sulkey. I had to. On my Exmark there were a couple of spare holes on the frame to use for the springs. Once I changed the spring tension it pulled me without a problem. I don't know anything about the Scag.

My biggest regret was that I didn't get a sulkey two years earlier. It paid for it's self in a month with higher productitivy. Plus it's so much fun!